Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun age restrictions at a gun show?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun age restrictions at a gun show?

So I know that the general rule is 18 for a long gun, 21 for a handgun and ammunition, but there seems to be some gray area.

Could you buy a handgun, and ammo, from a non-federally authorized dealer at the age of 18? Say at a gun show? Just wondering if that is possible. I know laws vary but state, I live in WI, but the law says that this is possible but I can't find out for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Any "dealer" is federally regulated. If you buy something private sale within the the same state (both are residents) face to face, then there is no federal restriction on age. Some states have statutes to prevent gross errors such as selling a firearm to a 10 year old (example only, obviously the statute would give a specific age).

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 37

In Mn it would be illegal to allow a child to handle a short gun if you weren't the parent. MNFAS gets around this by the parental permission slip that is signed before class. Your own child may use one if your supervising, but 21 to purchase and I believe 18 to carry by yourself through field and forest.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 AM   #4

Well **** then. I should have bought that 82 some guy had with him at the Show....