Handgun Advice Needed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun Advice Needed

Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and just wanted to get some feedback from handgun owners. I just received my gun permit and wanted to purchase a gun for the protection of my home and family.

I know the prices vary greatly. I am looking to spend under $500. I was leaning towards a snubnose revolver. Any Suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2009, 03:27 AM   #2

Didn't we just cover this in another thread? Unless you are willing to practice with the handgun at least once a week, stop kidding yourself and just get a shotgun with some #4 shot.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here. Why don't you head over to the "New Members" thread and introduce yourself to the gang.

Post your questions and don't mind Spanz poor manners. Use the Search Feature and you can find a lot of answers for yourself. Then if you can't find what you need, post away.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Under 500 dollars, you say?

Ok, I'll just start naming some firearms, and all you have to do is type the name in google search to get the specifics.

Autoloaders:

- Ruger P series pistols
- Taurus 24/7 series
- Smith and Wesson Sigma series
- Taurus PT 108/PT 111
- Springfield XD9 (4 inch)
- Rock Island Armory 1911
- Glock (if you can find them for under 500 dollars)
- Kahr Arms
- Kel-Tec Arms

Revolvers:
- Rossi
- Charter Arms
- Taurus
- Smith and Wesson
- Ruger

There is more out there, but maybe this will get you started down the right path.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. No poor maners intended here, just what I think is sound advice. If I understand you, you just got a permit, and the first firearm you are thinking of getting is a short barrel handgun? In that situation, anyone who recommends that you get a handgun for home protection instead of a shotgun is not doing you any favors! You will not be able to hit what you aim at unless you get a LOT of training. Your handgun bullets will be penetrating your walls, possibly killing your children. Think before you go all Rambo on us.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:21 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you talking about a permit to own a gun, or to carry a gun?

I would consider the short barreled revolver a near-experts gun, but if you decide that is the way you want to go I would recommend the Smith & Wesson 442. Also Speer makes very good short-barreled .38 special ammo.

Also +1 to browsing or searching the forums, you'll find alot of good info.

Let us know what you decide.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Relover for under $500.00

My advice for you is to look into the Charter arms revolvers that for the price are great and a reliable gun, I myself carry on a daily basis a Charter Arms BULLDOG 44 SPEC 5 shot revolver with a 2 1/2 " bbl I picked it up new for about $375.00 last year at a Gander Mountain store & its a great gun

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You'll be just fine with a handgun as a defensive sidearm. Shotguns are great for home defense, but they are large, and clumsy to handle in close quarters. Home invasion defense distances are going to be around 7-10 yards at the maximum for 95% of all encounters. You will be able to hit targets at those ranges with less training than you may think. Just remember to train correctly from the start.

Oh, and +1 on REDTAIL's last post. Charter Arms does make some really nice revolvers.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff13 View Post
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and just wanted to get some feedback from handgun owners. I just received my gun permit and wanted to purchase a gun for the protection of my home and family.

I know the prices vary greatly. I am looking to spend under $500. I was leaning towards a snubnose revolver. Any Suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff
Greetings Jeff,

Because you said "for my home and family". There is a lot to consider. A shotgun (as previously mentioned) is cumbersome in most cases, and virtually useless for a surprise kick the door open home invasion. You really need a weapon on your person at all times. This allows faster responce on your part, and it also keeps the weapon under your control. With all this being said, a pistol would serve you well. However, you need to be completely proficient with whatever weapon you choose.

There is a lot at stake here Jeff, and you really need to stop and consider excatly what you are doing and all the possibilities that go with it. Then go to a shooting range and rent several guns. Try them out then decide...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For someone just starting out, I almost always recommend a revolver. You don't say whether you're going to carry it concealed or not. It's going to be pretty darn hard to beat a 4" barrel .357 revolver for home defense. That way your wife will be able to easily operate it as well.

If you're leaning toward a semi-auto, go with something on the order of an Springfield Armory XDm in .40 S&W or an XD in .45acp. The important thing is a handgun HAS to fit YOU so go to a big gunstore and handle/shoot as many different 1s that you can. The 1 that naturally points best, and to point of aim, should be your choice.