Handgun accuracy - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Handgun accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
While I don't buy many of my guns new, I have bought new ones from the 3 makers you referenced. The answer is: I have no idea as test targets are not included with these guns. A fired shell casing is sometimes included (some states here require it) but that's generally it. Again, I think the primary difference between Europe and the US is the intended purpose of handguns. Here in the US the focus is on self-defense whereas Europe the focus is on target shooting...
That is 100% correct

Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #32

Any pistol I've ever had to use, grouped "at best", 3" at 25 yds.

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #33

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Just e question for my interest.

Here in germany, when a gun (pistol or revolver) is testfired and the testtarget shot at by the manufacturer and the sights zeroed in, that is always done at a range of 25m.

So the testtarget delivered with guns built here in germany, will always show the accuracy on 25m.

What is the distance chosen in the US by companies like Smith & Wesson, Colt, Springfield, and so on, for testing the new guns and zeroing them in?
Quite simply...
In the US NO test target comes with the gun. And if it does, it is probably fake, one of 10,000 they printed and a machine dripped one in each box to symbolize a test firing. [If your made in America gun has a test target that came with it, look carefully at the other paperwork. Somewhere will be a legal disclaimer separating the paper target from that gun's actual performance. Count on it.]

Oh durn it, you got me started again. What does sometimes pop up in a new box is a gun that doesn't work, or even better from a legal view point, a gun someone else has already fired and not bothered to clean before putting it back into the box. Standard gun shop answer, "oh the factory test fired it, but they forgot to clean it afterwards." Anyone buy that? I won't name brand names (cause there are several), but I have seen NIB firearms with tool chips in the chambers, dirty (as in fired and not cleaned), missing sight blades, missing pins(!), blued parts that don't match or a chromed or nickled part mixed with a blued part, "stainless steel" with visible rust, inoperative safeties, grips that don't match what the box or the order says, the wrong barrel length from what the box says, a barrel that wasn't even bored (seen only once TG), internal parts so unfinished the mechanism won't move, and an internal part from a totally different weapon, and 90 times out of 100 an absolutely perfect gun.

And before you ask, there is no mandatory proof testing in America either. It is left up to the civil court lawyers to decide after the incident if a particular weapon should have left the factory or did the owner/user perhaps contribute to the disaster by loading the gun?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #34

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
Any pistol I've ever had to use, grouped "at best", 3" at 25 yds.
There is a 1936 vintage Colt Shooting Master .38 (immaculate, and no, you can't have it!) about 4 feet from my hand that will probably do better than that at 75 Yards. This thing is currently sighted to be dead on at 50 yards with wadcutter ammo. More of a laser than a pistol. Note the Camp Perry pistol winning scores in that decade and their group sizes.
mineallmine.jpg  

Old 04-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Handgun accuracy

Handgun accuracy is realitive to the intended use. My Mod.66 2 1/2 in S&W is more than accurate enough for its intended purpose.But I still like to shoot at falling plates out to 100 m.with it.
By the same token I have done some fairly decent work with my Redhawk out to 200 m. in compitition. No match for the guys with single shot bolt actions but decent.

TGR