Handgun accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Handgun accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default Handgun accuracy

I want to expand a bit on things I have posted in other threads. Many newcomers to handguns will specify "accuracy" as one of their desires in a gun purchase. My take on this is every production handgun built by a reputable manufacturer will have "acceptable" mechanical accuracy. I've owned and shot handguns for many years and have tried many different varieties. I can state beyond any doubt that I cannot "outshoot" the mechanical accuracy of any handgun I've owned.

I'll caveat this by saying there are differing levels of performance inherent in gun types. A J-frame snubbie can't be expected to have the mechanical accuracy of as a custom shop 1911. Within each design group, I'd wager that there are very, very, very few people that can "exceed" the mechanical accuracy of any quality built gun.

Each of us will tend to shoot some platforms better than others and that's because we're all different. I shoot 1911s better than any other platform - but that's me. To the folks new to the addiction, don't worry to much about the accuracy of any particular gun as the vast majority of accuracy issues relate back to the shooter and not the gun...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I will agree with MOST of what you have said. The majority of my guns shoot better than I can shoot. Anyone thta doubts that, drop a handgun into a Ranson Rest, and prepare to be humbled!

The reason that I say MOST- I have 2 pistols that are both 1911A1s. One has had a lot of tuning, tightening, and smithing done to it. The other is a "rack issue" military arm- made not for target work, but for absolute reliabilty of going BANG under the worst field conditions. When I shake that one, the barrel rattles in the bushing like a set of wind chimes. I have a S&W Combat Masterpiece that will outshoot any Titan ever made. But for serious 100 meter shooting, I go to the Dan Wesson 15 VH with the 10 inch bbl. The J22 is a good choice to fit in the top tray of my fishing tackle box, but the Ruger Mk III is my Leg Match gun.

IMHO, there ARE variations of accuracy, trigger, etc that are noticable at standard handgun distances- but they may not be something the average shooter would push the envelope for.

Rifles (not to drift off the original thread) I love my little Marlin 39A for plinking or squirrel hunting- but a serious day at the Range brings out the heavy barrel Mossbergs, with the fine aperture peep sights- and group sizes shrink a LOT.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

c3, you make me nervous anytime you reply to one of my posts. I agree with you which is why I included the caveat I did. Within a "group" or a "type", say 4 inch barreled production 9mm handguns - there isn't a difference that the average shooter will see. Yes, comparing the inherent accuracy of a GI 1911 to JD's Nighthawk is not appropriate at all. However, comparing the accuracy of JD's Nighthawk to a Les Baer or Ed Brown would be. I'd wager that the vast majority of shooters could not demonstrate the accuracy difference between his Nighthawk and my Kimber Gold Match. Mechanically I'll bet there is a difference but only a true professional shooter might be able to prove it.

This is a good challenge for the Texas meet & greet folks. Lonyeager has some top end 1911s and I'm sure someone will bring some mid-tier 1911s. Lets get a report whether any of the accomplished pistoleers can prove a difference in inherent accuracy...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #4

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Mechanically I'll bet there is a difference but only a true professional shooter might be able to prove it.

Lets get a report whether any of the accomplished pistoleers can prove a difference in inherent accuracy...
I bet you're right.

Regarding my "high-end" 1911s....I collected them because I like them. I have no delusions that I can shoot to what they're capable of. Maybe we'll see if one of the more accomplished shooters in the group can.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #5

I just think it would be a nifty practical test. The only test of this type I've ever done was after one of our pin shoots. One of our regulars (he exited the Army and went back to Texas BTW) always shot a high-end Les Baer and I generally shot my 1st gen Kimber Gold Match. We were very close in skill level as I beat him some nights and he beat me other nights.

After one of the matches (he edged me out that time), we hung around the range each shooting both of our guns. Both of us had roughly equal results from both guns and neither appeared to be more inherently accurate. His gun sure was prettier than mine though and the difference in quality, fit & finish were very obvious. My Kimber is a very nice gun but it's not in the same class as the Baer by a long shot.

NOTE and CAVEAT: In no way am I saying the high-end 1911s are not worth every penny of their price. There's a lot more to these guns than just the inherent accuracy. (Yeah, I'll buy one someday)

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #6

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, we'll put together some kind of comparison test I'm sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I guess my S&W1911 is what you mean by mid range.

It will be there for the testing.

But not by me...unless we'er shooting at the side of a barn

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Jo, your S&W 1911 (I've owned 2) is a perfect example of a high quality, reasonably priced 1911. By mid-range, I'm talking about that huge group of 1911s in the $750 to $1000 bracket - Springer Loaded, many Kimbers, many Colts, and Dan Wessons. In other words - high-end production guns. To get better you have to go to the semi-custom guns like my Legend or full-customs like Nighthawk, Ed Brown, etc. Having had a S&W 1911, I can tell you flat out that I don't shoot my Legend any better than I shot it and my Legend retails for over twice the price (I got it used for $1450)...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-02-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I went to the range today. HAPPY HAPPY....always a good day when I get to go.

While there I was testing my accuracy between the CZ75b and kimber pro carry 2.

The Kimber shot tighter groups all around. At 20 yards I fired 20 rounds of winchester's through the CZ75b. 5 of them were in the 9 ring, 6 on the outside, and the others missed altogether. Did the same test with the kimber at 20yards and winchester's. 8rds in the 9 and 10ring, and the rest on the 7 and 8ring. All rounds hit the same target. So, the kimber is more accurate with tighter groups with the same quality ammunition.

The CZ75b is still accurate and sure is fun to shoot!!

I also met a guy there who had a sw99 .40. I shot way low to the left with it and so did he. I think it had adjustable sights that needed adjusting.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

So the lesson here is forget the spare mags, and get a pouch for a Ranson Rest. Heavy, but you'll cloverleaf that bad guy effortlessly.