Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
10-32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Based on your first few posts. I would reiterate the need to get her shooting. She should be proficient in the use of her gun long before she carries it. You may even want to run some malfunction drills with her. Just because you can punch holes in paper doesn't mean you are prepared for carrying a gun.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #22

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

"What states allow people under the age of 21 to own a pistol? "
Federal law and many states allow 18 year old possession of handgun but federal law will not let them buy until 21. Certainly makes a "straw purchase" a legal/illegal possibility.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #23

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
I too would suggest a revolver. Not hammerless however. A .38+P would be max if not ideal.
There's actually a purpose to the hammerless snubbie.

As stated before, IF SHE CAN HANDLE THE RECOIL, , , (now

please read AND think ) the hammer won't snag, and the

pistol can be fired through a coat pocket or from inside a purse.

Cheese and rice...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #24

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmcclellan View Post
Thanks for your answer, she's a college student who will be living off campus next year. Plus she really wants to learn how to shoot and one day get her CHL. I own a glock 19 myself, but for her I believe a revolver would be best.
Why not take her shopping and let her decide what is best for her? Many women of all sizes and ages, do very well with full size service pistols and revolvers. Remember, the smaller the gun, the harder it is to shoot.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #25

Liked 2181 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

Now, while I'm not much on smaller EDCs, I carry full-size all the time.

It's a little more trouble, but having a full-size pistol at the moment

of truth is a worthwhile payoff, if it ever comes down to it.

There are a lot of dependable full-size units out there,

the 1911 in many calibers, the 92FS, and the Glock, to name just

a couple.

I also have to agree she should try as many as possible, and find one

she likes.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #26

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Personally I think the weight is more the issue than the size. If carried in the right position, a 1911 practically vanishes against the human silhouette... the 40 ounces hanging on your body could make you uncomfortable though... a lot of service sized pistols make good edc options and many if them weighing in at the mid 20 ounce range would decrease the discomfort by weight...

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #27

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
I live in Florida, and I know for a fact its unlawful for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a pistol. It is also illegal for anyone to transfer a pistol to anyone under age.
I emphasized the word "possess" because there is a difference between being able to possess a handgun and purchase a handgun.

It is indeed legal in Florida for someone who is 18 or older to possess a handgun, though he/she may not purchase one from an FFL. An 18-year-old can — legally — purchase a handgun from a private owner or receive it as a gift. That same 18-year-old cannot legally purchase ammunition for the handgun from an FFL either.

The language in the statute is convoluted. The best explanation is in Jon Gutmacher's book. I highly recommend the book to anyone who lives in Florida.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 AM   #28

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
I emphasized the word "possess" because there is a difference between being able to possess a handgun and purchase a handgun.

It is indeed legal in Florida for someone who is 18 or older to possess a handgun, though he/she may not purchase one from an FFL. An 18-year-old can — legally — purchase a handgun from a private owner or receive it as a gift. That same 18-year-old cannot legally purchase ammunition for the handgun from an FFL either.

The language in the statute is convoluted. The best explanation is in Jon Gutmacher's book. I highly recommend the book to anyone who lives in Florida.
It's a federal law, you need to be 21 to PURCHASE a handgun from an FFL. Two keywords: "purchase" isn't the same as possessing and "FFL" does not include private sales and gifting. In other words, you can own a handgun as long as you don't get it yourself from an FFL. Make sure you stay on the right side of the law and get your parents to buy you ammo and you shouldn't have any trouble. Just keep in mind that in almost all states you can't carry until you're 21 and get a proper permit.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #29

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Years ago, we actually had a deputy sheriff in our county whose mother had to buy his ammo.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #30

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Is the fact that she is 18 matter? What I mean by that is...are you implying that she is slight, or has small hands, or is generally frail? Or is she athletic and as physically capable as the average guy?.
Same thing I thought. Many women are at their physical peak (strength/athleticism/agility) in their teens.

There are no "perfect answers" to the OP's vague question. But going on the assumption of her being generally fit, desiring a full-powered type of weapon, and probably having small-medium hands...I'd suggest looking into a Sig P239. In a lot of ways it's the perfect "big-boy" gun for women. A little expensive at $750 give or take, but a heck of a quality weapon with a grip that tends to fit small hands well.

If this shooter is inexperienced, apprehensive, or relatively weak or lacking coordination....please do her a service and start with a 22lr of some sort.