Hand gun scopes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hand gun scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default Hand gun scopes

I'm replacing the scope on my Ruger charger with a Red dot. I haven't fired it with the red dot yet so I guess there is a chance I will go back to the scope but probably not.

I'm wondering what do you use a scope on a handgun for? I find it to be to slow for aiming to be of any use in a defensive situation, and I can't imagine engaging something at a distance where magnification is required. Maybe I'm uninformed, this is the first handgun scope I have used and its a decent one, I paid like $200 for it, Nikon 2-7X scope but I just don't find it useful and I'm hoping someone can tell me what they use theirs for.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You have caught my interest on this one!

I have always thought scopes on handguns were for two reasons;

1. Hunting
  2. Competitive shooting

PD close-in work never entered my mind because the need to turn on the dot. Has this changed? Is there a fast-on red dot? Mine (long gun) is a pain to turn on albeit not an expensive sight.

I'll be watching the responses.

And why would you use a Charger for PD???

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 AM   #3

I wouldn't use the charger for PD unless I happened to be holding it and SHTF, its only a plinker for me. Although it would be a great gun for any small animals under 100 yards.

The question goes beyond the charger, I'm just curious what people use their pistol scopes for. What I've thought is that any situation where a scoped pistol would be required would be handled better with a rifle. But I have limited experience with a scoped pistol.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Buddy of mine has a scoped Ruger Redhawk .44mag. It's for pigs.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I'm replacing the scope on my Ruger charger with a Red dot. I haven't fired it with the red dot yet so I guess there is a chance I will go back to the scope but probably not.

I'm wondering what do you use a scope on a handgun for? I find it to be to slow for aiming to be of any use in a defensive situation, and I can't imagine engaging something at a distance where magnification is required. Maybe I'm uninformed, this is the first handgun scope I have used and its a decent one, I paid like $200 for it, Nikon 2-7X scope but I just don't find it useful and I'm hoping someone can tell me what they use theirs for.
They are excellent for long-range shooting, and that's about it. I use a scope on two of my 44 Magnums for hunting. Other than that, they serve no purpose. If you plan on using your pistol for Personal Defense... forget the scope.
guncase2.jpg   629hunter_plus.jpg  

Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #6

If the cheap sightmark red dot I have does not keep me happy, I'm going to get a Bushnell Holo like you have, those are very nice.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 458 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I had a 1.5X Simmons on my .41 mag Redhawk and it shot very well but the scope could not handle the recoil. My next one will probably be a much higher quality scope,, a Burris, Leo.,or one in that range. The crosshairs just kinda shattered. I feel that a scoped handgun is definitely one for hunting and iron sights are the best option in a defensive pistol. I like the large dot express sights personally,, they help my old eyes pick up the sight picture much easier. I have a red dot on my .22lr Beretta pistol and it performs very well.
I would only put a high quality scope on a centerfire handgun from the lessons I have learned from using lesser models.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 AM   #8

You just don't mess with a man with a scope on a pistol! That's a man who will shoot you in the knee caps just to prove he can.

Seriously, I'm on the "why?!?" side of the scope equipped handgun They're traditionally short range weapons and scopes are long range accessories. Perhaps to fill a niche between pistols and rifles, but didn't someone invent carbines for that?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The only pistol I own with a scope is a Thompson Contender. I have hunted with it but for the most part it is a paper traget ninja safe queen. Fun to shoot out to 100 yards, not something every one has but honestly has little practicle use, just for grins.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.