Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hand gun scopes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hand-gun-scopes-17770/)

Yunus 09-07-2009 01:56 AM

Hand gun scopes

I'm replacing the scope on my Ruger charger with a Red dot. I haven't fired it with the red dot yet so I guess there is a chance I will go back to the scope but probably not.

I'm wondering what do you use a scope on a handgun for? I find it to be to slow for aiming to be of any use in a defensive situation, and I can't imagine engaging something at a distance where magnification is required. Maybe I'm uninformed, this is the first handgun scope I have used and its a decent one, I paid like $200 for it, Nikon 2-7X scope but I just don't find it useful and I'm hoping someone can tell me what they use theirs for.

canebrake 09-07-2009 02:13 AM

You have caught my interest on this one!

I have always thought scopes on handguns were for two reasons;
  1. Hunting
  2. Competitive shooting

PD close-in work never entered my mind because the need to turn on the dot. Has this changed? Is there a fast-on red dot? Mine (long gun) is a pain to turn on albeit not an expensive sight.

I'll be watching the responses. http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...ons/cowboy.gif

And why would you use a Charger for PD???

Yunus 09-07-2009 03:13 AM

I wouldn't use the charger for PD unless I happened to be holding it and SHTF, its only a plinker for me. Although it would be a great gun for any small animals under 100 yards.

The question goes beyond the charger, I'm just curious what people use their pistol scopes for. What I've thought is that any situation where a scoped pistol would be required would be handled better with a rifle. But I have limited experience with a scoped pistol.

CA357 09-07-2009 04:15 AM

Buddy of mine has a scoped Ruger Redhawk .44mag. It's for pigs. :cool:

Mark F 09-07-2009 11:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 156252)
I'm replacing the scope on my Ruger charger with a Red dot. I haven't fired it with the red dot yet so I guess there is a chance I will go back to the scope but probably not.

I'm wondering what do you use a scope on a handgun for? I find it to be to slow for aiming to be of any use in a defensive situation, and I can't imagine engaging something at a distance where magnification is required. Maybe I'm uninformed, this is the first handgun scope I have used and its a decent one, I paid like $200 for it, Nikon 2-7X scope but I just don't find it useful and I'm hoping someone can tell me what they use theirs for.

They are excellent for long-range shooting, and that's about it. I use a scope on two of my 44 Magnums for hunting. Other than that, they serve no purpose. If you plan on using your pistol for Personal Defense... forget the scope.

Yunus 09-07-2009 01:27 PM

If the cheap sightmark red dot I have does not keep me happy, I'm going to get a Bushnell Holo like you have, those are very nice.

yazul42 09-07-2009 08:15 PM

I had a 1.5X Simmons on my .41 mag Redhawk and it shot very well but the scope could not handle the recoil. My next one will probably be a much higher quality scope,, a Burris, Leo.,or one in that range. The crosshairs just kinda shattered. I feel that a scoped handgun is definitely one for hunting and iron sights are the best option in a defensive pistol. I like the large dot express sights personally,, they help my old eyes pick up the sight picture much easier. I have a red dot on my .22lr Beretta pistol and it performs very well.
I would only put a high quality scope on a centerfire handgun from the lessons I have learned from using lesser models.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Kain 09-08-2009 01:16 AM

You just don't mess with a man with a scope on a pistol! That's a man who will shoot you in the knee caps just to prove he can.

Seriously, I'm on the "why?!?" side of the scope equipped handgun They're traditionally short range weapons and scopes are long range accessories. Perhaps to fill a niche between pistols and rifles, but didn't someone invent carbines for that?

WDB 09-08-2009 02:22 AM

The only pistol I own with a scope is a Thompson Contender. I have hunted with it but for the most part it is a paper traget ninja safe queen. Fun to shoot out to 100 yards, not something every one has but honestly has little practicle use, just for grins.:D:D