Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hand gun Registration? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hand-gun-registration-12986/)

Coach50 04-18-2009 01:45 AM

Hand gun Registration?

In which states is there no gun registration required when purchasing a hand gun?

Dillinger 04-18-2009 02:01 AM

None. That would be illegal.

Please keep your questions above board if this is your FIRST post here....:rolleyes:

JD

BillM 04-18-2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 95967)
None. That would be illegal.

Please keep your questions above board if this is your FIRST post here....:rolleyes:

JD

JD, You just confused me. Are you saying that there are no states that do
not require registration? Or are you saying that there are no states that require registration? Either answer is wrong----isn't it?:confused:

Bill

Dillinger 04-18-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM (Post 95975)
JD, You just confused me. Are you saying that there are no states that do
not require registration? Or are you saying that there are no states that require registration? Either answer is wrong----isn't it?:confused:

Bill

What I am saying is this:

1) Getting legal advice off the internet is wrong.

2) Some states allow person to person sales WITH NO paperwork.

3) I don't know if the state the poster resides IS or IS NOT on the list of no paperwork required....

4) HOWEVER, I am SERIOUSLY SUSPICIOUS if this is your FIRST post....:rolleyes:

JD

WDB 04-19-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 95978)
What I am saying is this:

1) Getting legal advice off the internet is wrong.

2) Some states allow person to person sales WITH NO paperwork.

3) I don't know if the state the poster resides IS or IS NOT on the list of no paperwork required....

4) HOWEVER, I am SERIOUSLY SUSPICIOUS if this is your FIRST post....:rolleyes:

JD

JD is right on, that is an odd question at best.
There is a wealth of information on this forum but that question is best asked at local police department, they are truly helpful with providing this type of information.

c3shooter 04-19-2009 01:27 PM

Asking for legal advice on the internet is like asking for medical advice at the laundromat. Not a good idea, with poor consequences, and you have no means of judging accuracy of advice. For all you know, at this moment, I am a 12 yr old using Mom's computer while she is in the garden.

A relatively small number of states require "registration" of a particular firearm to one person. ANY sale of ANY modern firearm by a licensed dealer requires that the dealer conduct a background check, and maintain a record of the sale- but that is not registration. While you MAY be able to purchase a rifle or shotgun in a state other than your place of residence, a handgun may only be purchased in your home state- no matter who you buy it from.

Would suggest you pick a day, mid week, mid afternoon, when business is slow, visit a local dealer, and ask what the legal requirments are in your state. Dealers must comply not only with Federal law, but state and local law as well.

stalkingbear 04-19-2009 04:48 PM

As of this time, there is no FEDERAL firearm registration but states may have stricter, more stringent laws, same as citys/locales. Why would that question be your 1st post? Are you trying to legally or illegally purchase a firearm? Check your state AND local laws to find out for sure.

Mark F 04-20-2009 12:15 PM

Caveat Lector...

c3shooter 04-21-2009 12:52 AM

Caveat Lector? Does that involve fava beans, and a nice Chianti ?