Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Uh. Bro.

They actually make 18 of them.

Sig 1911's

the Interwebz can be your friend....

Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #12

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

You said target practice. Perhaps you are meaning lots of range shooting of a caliber you would actually use in your self defense weapon? Or do you simply mean target practice.

If you mean strictly make hole in center, repeat, ad nauseam, then .22LR would be the most economical (and fun, I've heard)

If you mean shooting a lot of rounds in the caliber you will carry as self defense, then perhaps 9mm is the way to go.

Most of the responders to your post so far are strong proponents of the 1911 .45ACP. I'm certainly not unwise enough to discount their experience and opinion. That is a weapon that is on my list and I will own soon enough.

But I am extremely happy with my Glock 19 as a range weapon that I also carry occasionally and sits by my bed every night. It's not my carry weapon, but it can eat a lot of ammo for very little money. And that 15-round capacity is a lot more fun at the range than reloading after every 8 rounds.

And Glocks are a cinch to field strip and clean in a jiffy. I don't have to use words like "bonding" and "pilgrimage." How about this word: DONE!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

For target shooting only, Browning Buckmark 22lr is a fine place to start.

If you want target practice AND a defense weapon in an auto-loader, it's probably best to start with 9mm or perhaps .40SW. These are the two most common, affordable, and easily acquired rounds for defense or plinking...so it's a fine starting point for a new firearms owner. CZ, Spring XD, and Ruger all offer great options in that price range. I'd go with a CZ 9mm (75/85/P-01), but that's nothing more than personal preference. CZ's are very accurate right out of the box. Glocks are fine too, I'd just tend to lean toward XD if I were going the polymer route. Other would prefer SW M&P. All three are extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

Sigs are great guns, but your price range excludes most of them. You're pretty much relegated to the p250...haven't heard a bad word about it though.

1911's and other 45acps have a strong following for a reason. But the ammo is spendy and often difficult to find, and these guns can require more involved maintainance. In my opinion they're not an ideal starting point. They're more of a destination as you acquire experience. That's just my own perspective...and admittedly, it's based on the limited experience of a relatively new gun owner.

Last edited by sweeper22; 10-07-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
You said target practice. Perhaps you are meaning lots of range shooting of a caliber you would actually use in your self defense weapon? Or do you simply mean target practice.

If you mean strictly make hole in center, repeat, ad nauseam, then .22LR would be the most economical (and fun, I've heard)

If you mean shooting a lot of rounds in the caliber you will carry as self defense, then perhaps 9mm is the way to go.

Most of the responders to your post so far are strong proponents of the 1911 .45ACP. I'm certainly not unwise enough to discount their experience and opinion. That is a weapon that is on my list and I will own soon enough.

But I am extremely happy with my Glock 19 as a range weapon that I also carry occasionally and sits by my bed every night. It's not my carry weapon, but it can eat a lot of ammo for very little money. And that 15-round capacity is a lot more fun at the range than reloading after every 8 rounds.

And Glocks are a cinch to field strip and clean in a jiffy. I don't have to use words like "bonding" and "pilgrimage." How about this word: DONE!
Lots of words, my favs were "bonding and pilgrimage" I'm not a 1911 guy but way far from a Glock guy. Just to be fair show where bonding and pilgrimage was ever expressed in this or any other thread.

DONE...know more than your express otherwise it just comes off as stupid. MHO

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #15

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Uh. Bro.

They actually make 18 of them.

Sig 1911's

the Interwebz can be your friend....
Boy is my face red. I don't think of Sig when I think of 1911s because I only think of 1911s in terms of American-made.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #16

Quote:

Hey, here's an idea: for that range reloading, why not load a few mags full of .45 for your 1911 and then just change mags? What a concept!

I used the word "bonding" and canebrake, one of our moderators, who knows his s**t, used the word "pilgrimage."

DONE!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #17

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The 1911 is hard to clean the first time, after that it's a pilgrimage!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
I think I spy "bonding" and "pilgrimage" right here. There you go, WDB.

Come on. Why not go after the point (perhaps 9mm is a better range gun for lots of shooting), then attack my use of a couple of words?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-08-2009, 01:43 AM   #18

Quote:
I think I spy "bonding" and "pilgrimage" right here. There you go, WDB.

Come on. Why not go after the point (perhaps 9mm is a better range gun for lots of shooting), then attack my use of a couple of words?
Go buy a couple more plastic guns with lasers and flashlights and don't bother with a 1911. You clearly don't get it.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Wonder what happened to the OP??? I hate it when someone does a drive by posting asking a question then doesn't bother to return. Especially when so many people go out of their way to help.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #20

Give that Stoeger Cougar in 9mm a whirl. I shot this as the Beretta Cougar and loved it. It is just too heavy to carry, but it is a pleasure to shoot. Of all I've shot (Glock, Spingfield, S&W, Keltec), this was most pleasant.