Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a semi automatic pistol for around $550. I am going to be using this handgun for use at the range as target practice. I want a reliable gun that is easy to clean that I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I have gotten different opinions ranging from a glock 19 to a Sig. I want to know some opinion on which gun you think i should buy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Springfield XD9661HCSP 45acp With External Thumb Safety for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $494.00

How's that for <500$ to your door and in a real caliber!

You should hop over to the Introduction Section and let us know a little about you!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If I only had one handgun, and if it was just for target use, I'd choose my Buckmark 22. Cheaper to buy and use, and a lot of fun.

Of course you do have to get over the ego sh1t about not having the biggest unit on the range.

Oh yeah... welcome to the FTF.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #4

Here's another one I found for you:

Defender Lightweight Series 90 .45ACP Semi Auto - Auction: 9356346 (Ends 10/12/2009, 16:51:33 PST)

And it's a Colt!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 10-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque View Post
I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a semi automatic pistol for around $550. I am going to be using this handgun for use at the range as target practice. I want a reliable gun that is easy to clean that I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I have gotten different opinions ranging from a glock 19 to a Sig. I want to know some opinion on which gun you think i should buy.
My case for a 1911:

1. Reliable - YES
2. Easy to clean - NO, compared to other pistols out there. But a 1911 will be your friend....the others won't. The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
3. Glocks are okay, but no "character"....they are strictly utilitarian. Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Canebrake made some great suggestions for potential 1911s for you but, like him, I think you should poke around this forum and see how passionate we are about this platform....then go to the Glock or the XD forums and you won't get the same feeling.....because they can't appeal to your senses the way a 1911 can.....I know I'm getting weird here....but I think the rest of the 1911 owners here know what I'm talking about.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaque View Post
We're all just shooting in the dark here as you really haven't narrowed anything down in terms of caliber, polymer or steel, single or double stack, etc.

Have you actually shot anything?

My 2 cents, go to a range that rents a variety of guns and give them a try...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
My case for a 1911:

1. Reliable - YES
2. Easy to clean - NO, compared to other pistols out there. But a 1911 will be your friend....the others won't. The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
3. Glocks are okay, but no "character"....they are strictly utilitarian. Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Canebrake made some great suggestions for potential 1911s for you but, like him, I think you should poke around this forum and see how passionate we are about this platform....then go to the Glock or the XD forums and you won't get the same feeling.....because they can't appeal to your senses the way a 1911 can.....I know I'm getting weird here....but I think the rest of the 1911 owners here know what I'm talking about.
The 1911 is hard to clean the first time, after that it's a pilgrimage!

The 1911 pattern pistol is to hand guns what the V-Twin is to motorcycles and the Colt is the Harley!

Listen to "The Jesus"! (Not me, lonyaeger. You had to be there!)

the_jesus.gif

- orangello

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
the Colt is the Harley!
You didn't really mean that did you??

Because if you DID - I am going to make that my new signature that includes a VERY prolific quote from Ralph "Sonny' Barger....

Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Recently found this review of 9mm's in your price range, nicely done.

The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction

Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a tough question to answer with out knowing more about you. Take some time and introduce yourself on the new members thread. If it is just for target shooting a 22 is all you need, you will save a lot on ammo and it's a great way to learn to shoot. It's always best if you can find a range that rents, explain your expereince and expectations to the range master and have them help you find a pistol that fits you and your needs well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.