Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hand-gun-question-regarding-new-buyer-18907/)

opaque 10-06-2009 10:46 PM

Hand Gun Question Regarding new buyer

I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a semi automatic pistol for around $550. I am going to be using this handgun for use at the range as target practice. I want a reliable gun that is easy to clean that I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I have gotten different opinions ranging from a glock 19 to a Sig. I want to know some opinion on which gun you think i should buy.

canebrake 10-06-2009 10:57 PM

Springfield XD9661HCSP 45acp With External Thumb Safety for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $494.00

How's that for <500$ to your door and in a real caliber!

You should hop over to the Introduction Section and let us know a little about you!

Jo da Plumbr 10-06-2009 11:04 PM

If I only had one handgun, and if it was just for target use, I'd choose my Buckmark 22. Cheaper to buy and use, and a lot of fun.

Of course you do have to get over the ego sh1t about not having the biggest unit on the range.:eek:

Oh yeah... welcome to the FTF.

canebrake 10-06-2009 11:09 PM

Here's another one I found for you:

Defender Lightweight Series 90 .45ACP Semi Auto - Auction: 9356346 (Ends 10/12/2009, 16:51:33 PST)

And it's a Colt!

lonyaeger 10-06-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaque (Post 170880)
I am looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a semi automatic pistol for around $550. I am going to be using this handgun for use at the range as target practice. I want a reliable gun that is easy to clean that I will be able to get a lot of use out of. I have gotten different opinions ranging from a glock 19 to a Sig. I want to know some opinion on which gun you think i should buy.

My case for a 1911:

1. Reliable - YES
2. Easy to clean - NO, compared to other pistols out there. But a 1911 will be your friend....the others won't. The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
3. Glocks are okay, but no "character"....they are strictly utilitarian. Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Canebrake made some great suggestions for potential 1911s for you but, like him, I think you should poke around this forum and see how passionate we are about this platform....then go to the Glock or the XD forums and you won't get the same feeling.....because they can't appeal to your senses the way a 1911 can.....I know I'm getting weird here....but I think the rest of the 1911 owners here know what I'm talking about.

NGIB 10-06-2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaque (Post 170880)

We're all just shooting in the dark here as you really haven't narrowed anything down in terms of caliber, polymer or steel, single or double stack, etc.

Have you actually shot anything?

My 2 cents, go to a range that rents a variety of guns and give them a try...

canebrake 10-06-2009 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonyaeger (Post 170902)
My case for a 1911:

1. Reliable - YES
2. Easy to clean - NO, compared to other pistols out there. But a 1911 will be your friend....the others won't. The whole experience of cleaning a 1911 is like bonding....and you won't know until you have one.
3. Glocks are okay, but no "character"....they are strictly utilitarian. Sigs are great....I've had several....but they don't make a 1911.

Canebrake made some great suggestions for potential 1911s for you but, like him, I think you should poke around this forum and see how passionate we are about this platform....then go to the Glock or the XD forums and you won't get the same feeling.....because they can't appeal to your senses the way a 1911 can.....I know I'm getting weird here....but I think the rest of the 1911 owners here know what I'm talking about.

The 1911 is hard to clean the first time, after that it's a pilgrimage!

The 1911 pattern pistol is to hand guns what the V-Twin is to motorcycles and the Colt is the Harley!

Listen to "The Jesus"! (Not me, lonyaeger. You had to be there!)

Attachment 6637

Dillinger 10-06-2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 170912)
the Colt is the Harley!

You didn't really mean that did you?? :confused:

Because if you DID - I am going to make that my new signature that includes a VERY prolific quote from Ralph "Sonny' Barger....

Gojubrian 10-07-2009 12:06 AM

Recently found this review of 9mm's in your price range, nicely done.

The Best Nines - Best 9mm Pistol Site handgun review test gun dealer auction :)

WDB 10-07-2009 12:21 AM

It's a tough question to answer with out knowing more about you. Take some time and introduce yourself on the new members thread. If it is just for target shooting a 22 is all you need, you will save a lot on ammo and it's a great way to learn to shoot. It's always best if you can find a range that rents, explain your expereince and expectations to the range master and have them help you find a pistol that fits you and your needs well.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.