Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > hand gun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default hand gun for my wife

I want to get my wife a hand gun for self defense, but I'm not sure if I should get her a 9mm or .380. All my friends tell me to get her a 9 because it's bigger. My main concern is that she won't be able to handle the recoil. Would the .380 be enough or should I stick with the plan to get her a 9mm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #2

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz2g View Post
I want to get my wife a hand gun for self defense, but I'm not sure if I should get her a 9mm or .380. All my friends tell me to get her a 9 because it's bigger. My main concern is that she won't be able to handle the recoil. Would the .380 be enough or should I stick with the plan to get her a 9mm?
Started my wife on a 380- She quickly went to a 9mm & now dearly loves her Ruger SR9C - She said she really cudn't tell much difference in recoil -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #3

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Do you have a range nearby that rents guns? If so, go there and have her try them for herself, she can tell you better than any of us. Good form and fundamentals will overcome any percieved recoil. A few of our esteemed female forum members shoot the bigger calibers with no problems.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Vincent and Hoss are spot on. The only thing I have to add is take her to some local gunshops and let her "try out" the various firearms they have in their inventory.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #5

I would add ( and I'm no expert ) but in my opinion and my wife's. Try a .45, the recoil on comparable size guns (9mm & .45) feels the same to us. We went .45 for that reason alone. She loves the bigger round.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

How much training does your wife have?
Knowing the proper hold, stance, and safety matters is more important than what caliber.

I taught my niece when she was 12 (yes, I'm NRA certified). She likes to pick up a gun and shoot 2X4's at 50 yards with a .45ACP.

At the time, she was about 5 foot and skinny as a rail. 95lbs soaking wet.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz2g View Post
She has to try out some guns, and SHE must decide what works for her. Forget all the hype about caliber, knock-down, etc. The caliber simply doesn't matter it she doesn't like it, and doesn't use it.

Been there, done that, with my wife... and she ended up liking my Smith & Wesson Model 60 (.357 Mag) best.

Ya' gotta' let her decide...

Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I am a firm believer in the KISS approach.

Unless she is willing to spend enough time to fully understand the pre-fire operation of an automatic and commit it to muscle memory, I would get a revolver for HD.

my reasoning is simple: The 'panic' reaction of an untrained shooter is simply "point and pull" - for an automatic, depending on the condition it is stored, that may or may not result in a discharge. For a simple Da revolver that has no need to check the status of the safety, magazine, or a need to chamber a round, it will result in a sucessful firing and if it truely is needed in a HD situation, the seconds saved may be critical.

JMHO....

Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 787 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Bought mine a hammerless SW 5 shot .38. She likes the no-brainer, double action, stiff trigger, and the visual cylinder load status. The grip fits her hand and though she will shoot a semi pistol, she is very comfortable with the revolver.

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

Liked 2184 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 1777

Why not let her try them both and decide for herself?