Hand gun cleaning & maintanence
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hand gun cleaning & maintanence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Default Hand gun cleaning & maintanence

I bought my first gun and need to know, what products I should purchase for cleaning and preserving my investment? Where would you suggest buying that product as to not over spend?

carry-range-kit.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Default Looks nice, what is it?

Walmart has what you need.
Hoppes #9 to clean all the junk out.
Breakfree to oil and add protective finish.
Cleaning rod, a few patches, an old face towel to wipe off excess Breakfree.
A bore brush to help remove junk from barrel.
Does not take much and your new handgun will give you years of service.
Keep in mind, the military test handguns to shoot 5000 to 10,000 rounds without cleaning or oiling.
My new Model 19 Glock, right out of the box, no cleaning or oiling, had 600 rounds placed thru it just to insure it would work!
A good handgun or rifle will run for a very long time without cleaning or oiling of any kind.
I saw a German Luger still in the remains of its leather holster, which was dug up out of the ground after nearly 50 years, rinsed off in gasoline, wiped down with a rag, and then fired!
I would not have done this, but I saw it done and the thing got off two rounds before the recoil spring twisted/dented up the old rounds in the mag, as it tried to load number three into the chamber.
Enjoy your new handgun.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hoppes #9 is your best friend. Probably 99% of the folks on this forum use it, because it works really well.

Oil is a little more variable. I use Rem-Oil, some people use Mobil 1, or mix their own blend. Find what works for you. As long as you keep the barrel and the rails (See the owner's manual, I know the M&P manual shows you where to lube.) oiled with something, you'll have no problems.

Other than that, you need a basic cleaning kit: Rod, patches to clean and oil, and a wire brush to get out lead build-up. You can find the whole package at your FLGS, Gander Mountain, or Sporting Goods store. Probably even Wal-Mart.

I also keep a bore snake (Hoppe's 9 - BoreSnakes), and run it through the gun once before I take it to the range to even out the lubrication in the barrel and make sure there's not too much.

The M&P's are pretty easy to clean, just field strip and wipe down everything you can see with Hoppes. Tissues work fine for large surfaces (Bottom of the slide, top of the frame, etc.), and Q-Tips work for little nooks and crannies, just make sure not to leave any tugged-off cotton inside your gun. I don't use the cleaning patches except in the barrel.

Enjoy your gun!

Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

Yellow:
What I got is the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Carry and Range kit; pistol, 3 mags, Bladetech holster, Bladetech mag holster, Uplula loader. MSRP $609, got it NIB $509.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #5

BTW, thank you both for your quick responces.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 286 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 42

If you plan to add more guns in the future (especially long guns), I'd really recommend going into Walmart and picking up one of the universal do-it-all gun cleaning kits that come in the cigar type boxes. Some are more elaborate than others, but you'll get years of use out of a kit you'll spend between $15 and $40 on. Add a $4 can of Rem-Oil (cleaner/lubricant) and you've already got the basics covered.

An old tooth brush and some small scraps/patches from an old tshirt will handle anything else. I like to finish each cleaning by adding a tiny bit of oil/lubricant to the slide rails to keep it smooth during cycling.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #7

Default Nice price

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDbeej View Post
Yellow:
What I got is the Smith and Wesson M&P9 Carry and Range kit; pistol, 3 mags, Bladetech holster, Bladetech mag holster, Uplula loader. MSRP $609, got it NIB $509.
If its not a 1911 or BHP or SW revolver, hard for my old eyes to know what it is.
Nice price, good buy there.

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Liked 1432 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Best advice, buy the highest quality you can afford!

Good cleaning tools are an investment and should have as much pre-purchase research as did your gun selection.

I've used them all and can save you the time and $$$ with my recommendations. (Just remember this is subjective and don't get yourself confused with the Chevy vs Ford thingie.)

Here are my minimum requirements for gun maintenance: (provided links are for visual reference, SHOP around!)

Hardware (get dedicated tools and keep them in a cleaning box marked S&W M&P and don't mix them with your other gun/caliber equipment.)

Consumables
  • Solvent(s) Get the Hoppes #9
    I like/use Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent Hoppe's #9 Semi-Auto Bore Cleaning Solvent - MidwayUSA
  • Lube(s) (can't beat the default; Rem Oil)
    I blend my own. Cane's "Mobil Mystery", 90% Mobil 1 / 10% Marvel Mystery.
    +
  • Patches (get caliber-specific size patches and DON'T mix them!)
  • Q-Tips (can't clean guns without them!)

Tips:
  1. Use only properly sized tools (if you don't have that .45 bore brush, get one!)
  2. Clean your gun barrel in the same direction the bullet travels (on your gun, with the barrel removed, push the brush from breech to muzzle, remove the brush and pull the rod out, IOW, don't run it back-and-forth)
  3. Use a fresh patch on each pass (patches are cheap, barrels are expensive)
  4. DO NOT drag a dirty patch back through the "just cleaned" barrel
  5. Disassemble your gun only to the level required to access areas where fouling reaches
  6. Cleaning your gun requires a clean work area. The idea is to remove, not add dirt
  7. When it comes to lube, lighter is better (pass a lightly lubed bore mop 2-3 times instead of a oil soaked and dripping mop once)
  8. Lube needs to be present, not seen (visual) to work (see # 7 above)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 05-06-2011 at 12:50 AM.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cane expressed it well. I use Hoppes #9 and Rem Oil, get the best tools that fit the firearm & you can afford to clean your firearm and they will last a lifetime. With the M&P it is so east to take down there is ne excuse to push the cleaning rod from the business end. Take the barrel out and clean it in the same driection the bullet travels.

You chose a fine pistol, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #10

Default Only two things for me

I would go to wal-mart and get a gun cleaning kit, cleaning wipes and order some Ballistol. I see from the posts that people like hoppes and thats cool, to each its own. I like Ballistol cause it cleans,protects and lube all in one. I own a glock and it doesnt require much oil at all so thats what i choose.