Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Which hand do you shoot with (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/hand-do-you-shoot-72034/)

gearhead396 09-08-2012 02:06 AM

Which hand do you shoot with

Just curious to know how many of y'all out there are left handed shooters? (like me)

25-5 09-08-2012 02:59 AM

I am right handed, but shoot lefty as well. It takes just a bit of practice. A lot of shooters do it. Great for left side barricade. So try some righty!

Old_Crow 09-08-2012 03:44 AM

I am right handed and I have lazy eye. I can make 5 to 7 yard shots left handed. If you like pocket pistols the JA-22 isn't a bad practice weapon. I can't recommend any 22 rimfire as SD weapon. I don't trust the rimfire primer.

Rick1967 09-08-2012 03:46 AM

I shoot left handed. I can also shhot with my right. I practice both. Competition often requires it.

gollygee 09-09-2012 04:41 PM

I'm right handed, but part of my practice is always one handed & with weak hand also. You never know when you'll be forced to shoot with your weak hand & you may not always be able to assume the perfect stance & two handed hold. But, when shooting left handed it is always point & shoot at close ranges. It's useless for me to try to use the sights when shooting left handed.:o

zebramochaman 09-10-2012 04:41 AM

A majority of people are right-handed but a significant number of people are southpaws. In the old days if you were a lefty parents tried to convert you because it was considered a detriment. It can be a challenge to those that are lefties in the world of firearms. Most firearms are designed for righties but in recent history there are many guns that have ambidexterous features such as safeties, Mag releases, etc.
The real challenge is for those people who are cross-dominent. If you are right-handed but your dominent eye is the left you need to adjust your sight picture. The same is true of the reverse (left-handed, right-eyed dominent).
One of the most prolific and awesome shooters on Youtube (Hickok45) is cross dominant but has been able to overcome this to show that he is world class shooter.
As stated in other posts, anyone who is using their firearm for SD should practice shooting with their weak arm. God forbid that you were in a situation that your strong arm was disabled and you are defending your life you need to be able to fight with your weak arm.

BeyondTheBox 09-10-2012 08:57 PM

Mostly right, unless having fun just going "bang", double fisting it.

You know what's said about left-handed people... They can't do anything right! ;-)

MrWray 09-10-2012 11:41 PM

Pistols and ARs "right handed

Shotguns and scoped rifles "left handed"

willshoum 09-10-2012 11:43 PM

Had to.....

The hand with the loaded gun.....:)

Donn 09-11-2012 12:13 AM

No guarantees I'll be able to hit a stance in a stress situation, so I practice with both.