Hammer vs Striker - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hammer vs Striker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i fail to see how it makes any difference in the slightest. a good design is a good design and a bad design is a bad design. there are tons of both in hammer and striker pistols.

there is nothing inherent in a striker that makes it better or worse and nothing inherent to a hammer design that makes a gun automagically better or worse.
Agreed, but we are discussing which we prefer, not which is better or worse.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #22
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Point well taken by our moderator, ARs work pretty well, everyone wants one, or already owns one or more, and no hammers on them.

Way back when, I owned a matching pair of Rossi hammer shotguns, one was a stagecoach gun. Sure wish I still owned them. Don't miss all the hammerless shotguns that have come and gone over the years.

I own several western saddle rifles, all with hammers. Hammer on my Mares Leg pistol.

I think the point is correct, both designs work well, if designed well, however, for me, shooting pleasure is best obtained, in pistol, rifle, or shotgun, with a hammer firearm.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #23

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
but no one seems to have an issue with hidden hammers (AR15/AK47) or hidden strikers (pretty much every bolt rifle ever made) in the case of long guns...

why the hang up on handguns??

i dont get it.
If I had my way I'd still be able to get hammer fired shotguns pretty easy. But in truth I would think long guns would be another thread...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #24

Liked 388 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Point well taken by our moderator, ARs work pretty well, everyone wants one, or already owns one or more, and no hammers on them.
?????? Wonder what that thing is in my AR lower that releases when I squeeze the trigger and strikes the firing pin.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

I carried a 640 S&W as a BUG for many years just because it had a concealed hammer. Unlike a semi-auto I could fire all five shots from inside a jacket pocket if necessary, not to mention there would be no 'snag' if I had to draw it!
But I still like the hammer where I can see it. Just a personal preference. On duty I can carry either my M&P or my 5906. Off duty/concealed I like the 6906.
I am 'old school'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 500

I prefer hammers on my pistols. I own both but like hammers.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Also, it is not just hammer or no hammer, in a striker gun, the trigger is much different than on a hammer gun. In the case of a Glock, moderately long trigger pull, and always the same, unless you train by not completely letting off the trigger after each shot.

On a hammer gun, double action, single action, after your first shot with a long hard trigger, you get a soft short trigger for each sequent shot. I prefer that over a striker type action. I also like a decocker safety.

A true 1911 style hammer action, is not my first choice, unless it is slightly modified like Star PD did theirs, where you can go uncocked and locked.

A 1911 cocked and locked, troubles me more than a Glock with one in the pipe. It is all about training, but accident statistics prove out neglect discharges do happen.

Last edited by AR10; 06-18-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #28

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Hammer but I don't mind striker.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Last edited by Garadex; 06-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #29

Liked 105 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Also, it is not just hammer or no hammer, in a striker gun, the trigger is much different than on a hammer gun. In the case of a Glock, moderately long trigger pull, and always the same, unless you train by not completely letting off the trigger after each shot.

On a hammer gun, double action, single action, after your first shot with a long hard trigger, you get a soft short trigger for each sequent shot. I prefer that over a striker type action. I also like a decocker safety.

A true 1911 style hammer action, is not my first choice, unless it is slightly modified like Star PD did theirs, where you can go uncocked and locked.

A 1911 cocked and locked, troubles me more than a Glock with one in the pipe. It is all about training, but accident statistics prove out neglect discharges do happen.
The astra is nice too, differences beieng the astra is da/sa and double stack mag. I really like the da/sa from para, a really nice piece of self defense hardware