Hammer vs Striker - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Hammer vs Striker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 48

For ccw I prefer striker fired which makes up just one of my handguns. Both of my revolvers and my full size semi-auto for home defense are hammer fired.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i fail to see how it makes any difference in the slightest. a good design is a good design and a bad design is a bad design. there are tons of both in hammer and striker pistols.

there is nothing inherent in a striker that makes it better or worse and nothing inherent to a hammer design that makes a gun automagically better or worse.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #13

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
Yo, i definitely prefer hammer fired. I also prefer sa/da, not a fan of sao in either striker or hammer, personally not a fan of glock, but they are simple and reliable.

@rifleman, you have to list your carry weapons on your permit?
yes in the county im in you are allowed three handguns on your permit,the permit lists the make model caliber and serial number and it better match or you will likely be losing your gun and permit.so in other word if you have two identical guns dont accidently grab the wrong one.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i fail to see how it makes any difference in the slightest. a good design is a good design and a bad design is a bad design. there are tons of both in hammer and striker pistols.

there is nothing inherent in a striker that makes it better or worse and nothing inherent to a hammer design that makes a gun automagically better or worse.
That is rather a Spock answer, don't you think?

Sometimes logic is only one side of a coin.

Going beyond preference, and into logic, if you had a pitcher of water, painted black, so you could not see through it, and you were to pour a glass of water, into a glass also painted black, would that be a greater challenge, even in some small way, as opposed to pouring a glass of water from a clear pitcher into a clear glass?

My analogy is trying to show that things of mystery are harder to teach and acquire knowledge of, than things that are easy to see and touch. To some degree, and that is different with everyone, a hammer gun holds less mystery than a hidden striker.

Last edited by AR10; 06-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1089 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

My original CCP was from Iowa, and it listed the gun you were carrying. I had them squeeze in a second gun on my permit (which I still have from 30 plus years ago). Deputy behind the counter was rather annoyed by my request, as I recall.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've had both and I don't have both now. I don't own a striker fired pistol. I prefer having a hammer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
That is rather a Spock answer, don't you think?

Sometimes logic is only one side of a coin.

Going beyond preference, and into logic, if you had a pitcher of water, painted black, so you could not see through it, and you were to pour a glass of water, into a glass also painted black, would that be a greater challenge, even in some small way, as opposed to pouring a glass of water from a clear pitcher into a clear glass?

My analogy is trying to show that things of mystery are harder to teach and acquire knowledge of, than things that are easy to see and touch. To some degree, and that is different with everyone, a hammer gun holds less mystery than a hidden striker.
but no one seems to have an issue with hidden hammers (AR15/AK47) or hidden strikers (pretty much every bolt rifle ever made) in the case of long guns...

why the hang up on handguns??

i dont get it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Hammer for me if given the choice.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #19

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

I have never owned a striker fired, but a friend bought a Sig convertible that was without realizing it. It was his 1st handgun and he had fired my Sigs and had decided he wanted a Sig. He also fired a Wilson Commander .45acp a Sig P230 in .380. When we went out and I made the comment it was striker fired he got fidgety. No worries, it is a nice Sig I told him. I was amazed at how well it shot. It was so smooth, nice trigger. He shot like crap. He also bought a 5 shot S&W .38sp. I told him to shoot the .38 in DA and the Sig would fall into place easily. So he bought a Sig .380 w/ a hammer for carry. He does well w/ the larger Sig, but can be much better. I liked his striker fired Sig. Everything is similar to my hammer fire.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 AM   #20

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

I love having a hammer, don't find one to be any simple or more complicated than another really. But lack of hammer in striker fired guns is easier for pocket carry drawing. Just one less thing to snag or hang up on lose clothing.

Still, I'm a hammer man for sure.