Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guy at work insists revolvers are better for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

For home defense, I like to have my da/sa revolver next to me, because there is no safety to mess with and almost zero chance of malfunction. I also have a short barrel pump within easy reach.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

It's all in what your comfortable with. If one shoots their revolver better than a semi-auto, then by all means, run what works.
Competent use of any firearm is an improvement over begging for your life.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Statistics show that the past five invasion shootings were hardly more than a single shot. One shooting was the young lady and her baby; she shot once with a 12 gauge. Another was a young lady carrying a .22 semi auto, one shot the perp folded. Then there was the old man with a .45 revolver, single shot through the back door, man died on the sidewalk. There are many more shootings of invasions that did not go to the second round. Either with a shotgun, rifle, revolver, or semi; the invaders were killed right there. The threat was reduced to its lowest level with a single shot.

Last edited by Ranger-6; 03-13-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no perfect choice. Each choice has pros and cons that vary by user.

Pistol - Typically more rounds. May be faster. More susceptible to jams. Racking makes noise and gives away your position.

Revolver - Fewer rounds. Silent until the bang. Jams are nearly unheard of.

Get experience with both pistols and revolvers, make your own lists of pros and cons, and make your own decision.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Each platform has it's advantages and disadvantages. A significant disadvantage with a revolver, is the limited number of rounds available. In most cases, 5 or 6 rounds, as opposed to at least double that for many semi-autos. Once upon a time, revolvers were preferred because of the tendency for auto loaders to jam. Perhaps that was once the case, but in modern times auto's, with quality ammo, can be as reliable as revolvers.

I own several revolvers and autos, and my out-the-door preference is for one of my autos, in a caliber that begins with the number "4". On those occassions that I carry one of my revolvers, I do not feel "underguned" as long as I have at least one reload, which I always have with either platform.

As others have pointed out already, what works best is that which works best for you. Perhaps your coworker for some reason never mastered shooting autos, and therefore revolvers are best for him.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default I own both, but the revolver is on the nightstand....

When picking a HD weapon, I consider that whatever the HD choice is going to be, it has to be operable in a 'full panic' mode by the least qualified person in the household.

In my case, it is my wife.

True, SA pistols have more firepower and can shoot quicker, but I am betting her life on the fact that should she ever be caught home alone and need a weapon to defend herself, the simplicity of the "point and pull" revolver will give her a better chance of sucessfully fighting back with it then she would if I had a SA for her to use that she wasn't fully comfortable with given her level of training and sustained practice with firearms.

The worse thing I could do is provide her with a weapon that she cannot fully operate in crisis mode when the 'fight or flight' instincts kick in, and as much as we would like to insist that "training is essential' for firearms owners, the sad fact is may folks who buy a single HD dedicated firearm rarely practice with it much after the initial purchase.

For me, the revolver is the best HD choice.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it is whatever you are moat comfortable with.
I normally carry a Glock 27 or Colt Commander one is usually with me when I'm awake.
For the things that go bump in the night I have a S&W 686 by the bed for quick access, and a Mossberg 500 mounted inside the closet if I have time.
I had an attempted break in several years ago. I confronted someone trying to open my kitchen window. I had a Winchester M 12 pointed his way, fastest I've ever seen someone run.
After that I started to practice in low light, you'll be amazed at the noise and flash a 12 g or 357 will make in a dark enclosed area.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #18

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

The gun you are most familiar, comfortable and proficient with is the right one for home defense. Can it be any simpler than this?

Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #19

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Simple answer-----NO
Simple answer-----YES

The best is what YOU can use the best------
^^THIS^^

Personally I like a Remington 870 12 Guage shot gun but opinions are like...

Sure you know the rest of that line.

Use what works for you and don't worry about the "water cooler commando".

Those who speak in absolute term usually know absolutely nothing.

Tack

Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

His way of thinking is that the semi-auto pistol is unsafe to store with a loaded chamber and a revolver is only safe with an empty charge hole under the hammer. How old is this person? Has he been asleep in a cave for the last 100 years? His understanding of firearms design and construction is several generations behind.

The revolver has the benefit of shooting a generally higher powered ammo. The semi-auto pistol has the benefit of higher capacity. That is all.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball