Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Guy at work insists revolvers are better for home defense? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/guy-work-insists-revolvers-better-home-defense-60155/)

charliegirl 03-13-2012 03:08 PM

Guy at work insists revolvers are better for home defense?

Shooting the $hit this morning and a guy at work shows me a pic of his new revolver, a S&W .357. In this conversation, he tells me that revolvers are better for home defense because they're faster to shoot because there's no slide to worry about, you just point and shoot. I'm fairly new to the gun world, but I disagree with him saying revolvers are better for home defense. Even with only a year's worth of experience, I mess around with my gun a lot and have gotten to where I can pick up, rack the slide to chamber a round all in the same fluid movement and it feels like second nature. Plus, you can always have a round already chambered.... am I missing something or are revolvers really better for home defense like he claims?

HOSSFLY 03-13-2012 03:16 PM

Simple answer-----NO
Simple answer-----YES

The best is what YOU can use the best------

JTJ 03-13-2012 03:18 PM

As the saying goes, "Everyone has an opinion." Dont bother to argue as it is usually useless.

kryptar19 03-13-2012 03:20 PM

Keep doing what your doing. Revolvers may be better for him. The best gun for HD is the one that you use the best, IMO a semi auto with a hi-cap mag.

Now, the most practical for HD is a shotgun with a short barrel and #6 in it.

vincent 03-13-2012 03:20 PM

In the firearms world, there is no such thing as "best". If a revolver works best for your co-worker than that's what works best for him. Don't let him try to tell you that it's best for YOU.

If you want my .02...I'd rather have a short barrelled shotgun than anything else...:cool:

rifleman1 03-13-2012 03:22 PM

its all personal prefrence and what you like and what your comfortable with,i personally have both one is semi auto i have on or near me at all times and the other is a 38spl. hidden away that my wife is comfortable.all the rest are in my safes.

Axxe55 03-13-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 738974)
Simple answer-----NO
Simple answer-----YES

The best is what YOU can use the best------

i agree with Hossfly on this and the others. yes your co-worker is right, but so are you. if your are familiar with your pistols operation and can work it effectively, that is the main factor. what works for you is best, just as waht works better for someone else may be different. to each his own. i use both myself.

tiberius10721 03-13-2012 04:10 PM

The only loaded gun I keep loaded in my house is my black powder 1858 remmy and that's because I want the bad guy to think he is being attacked by a fire breathing dragon.:D

JonM 03-13-2012 04:21 PM

If i had to use a revolver in home defense i would probably lose. I would fare better with a semi auto pistol. Better even still with a shotgun. My preferred home defense is an ar15...

Is that gonna work for someone else?? prolly not. But the ar15 is the firearm i have the most training and experience with.

orangello 03-13-2012 04:26 PM

^^^ Yep, same reason here that my ole Mossberg, after some remodeling, is my go to gun for HD.

I do think the revolver would be the easiest "in case of emergency break glass" handgun for most untrained people to use, barring reloads.