Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gut check !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM   #41
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

LIke BIll Engvall says: "here's your sign..."

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #42

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think about this topic alot sometimes, and it scares me to be honest. I hope I never have to take another human life. So far, the Lord has blessed myself and my family, so I consider myself lucky.

If the fight-or-die situation happens to me, I like to believe that I will do what needs to be done to resolve the threat. Hopefully the threat can be resolved before triggers are pulled. I try to not look at it as killing an aggressor, but stopping the threat as soon as possible, and as smart as possible.

I believe I will pull the trigger if it ever comes down to that. I will always hope it gets resolved before that moment.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:55 AM   #43

With all due respect, I'm not attempting to start a flame war here, but most people who would be considered "efficient killers" would never refer to themselves as anything like that. I few a few friends who could certainly qualify as "efficient killers" and actually HAVE pulled that trigger, and they have never said anything like that, nor are they the kind of people to say something like that.

Regarding this thread, there is a great article on combat mentality called "On Wolves, Sheep, and Sheepdogs" by LTC Grossman from his book On Killing.

Crispy

Last edited by Crispy129; 01-09-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

ive only had to draw my gun once indefence and it was night time no street lights, luckily i didnt have to fire because it was just a nice dog that scared the beejesus out of me when i stepped of the porch. that showed me that my reaction time and situational response is in tune. and iknow i have the patience to examine the threat. but it couldve been alot different situation if it wasnt a freindly dog. we never know what will happen. my reaction was good but im sure it couldve been better im sure

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 01-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
Regarding this thread, there is a great article on combat mentality called "On Wolves, Sheep, and Sheepdogs" by LTC Grossman from his book On Killing.

Crispy
+1 to On Killing, as well as On Combat by LTCOL Grossman. "On Wolves, Sheep, and Sheepdogs" is a chapter in ON COMBAT.

I would encourage everyone here who carries a gun for self-defense to purchase ON COMBAT and read it.

http://www.killology.com/books.htm

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #46

Default Gut check !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
I personally have no qualms about shooting a person if they deserve it and if they die so be it .

I don't play "Gun games" , I don't run around running my mouth with how "I'll Kill you" or "kick your azz" bla bla bla , I've known people who do and after the umpteenth time of hearing it I've often dared them to try , haven't had any takers yet and they usually STHU afterwords .

I've lived what has to be a very unusual life that has given me a very interesting perspective on many things and an appreciation for life not just breathing but the quality of life itself .

At the age of 6 in a racially divided neighborhood in the late 60's early 70's I had the living Chit beat out of me at school by 2 15+ Year olds just because I was white and they black , I had a teacher who was so afraid of what was going on with the violence she refused to even let me go to the nurse despite a bloody mouth , nose and black eye and my clothing almost being torn off of me to the point my mother had to throw them away I was forced to sit in my seat and cry and bleed for 3 hours until school let out . It's hard to be a rebel and ignore authority figures when you're 6 and just had the crap beaten out of you .

I've been mugged several times all before the age of 10 and knifed once over a bag of $0.25 potato chips , I've had robbery attempts "Stealing my brand new bike with me riding it by a pack of animals" countless times .

As an adult and lawful gun owner I have had twice groups of punks think they were going to have their brand of "Fun" with me and after verbal warnings they got within 15-20' of me with clubs and baseball bats so they found out what the muzzle of a pistol looked like , I doubt they ever understood how close they were to being shot .

I have never forgotten one thing that all of the incidents had in common , they were all smiling and laughing having a grand old time even when beating severely for no reason .

The sheep out there don't quite understand this , the animals enjoy inflicting the pain they do , they feed on it , they need it , and no amount of reason will stop them NEVER .

It's your life you can allow some scum to end it laughing and having a good old time or you can fight back .

Fact of the matter is when they see you're willing to fight back most of them will run away crying like the cowards they are if they don't have no remorse if you end their life because they would surely end yours and never spend a second regretting it unless they get caught and are made to pay for it in some manner .
I have been in about the same boat. I am getting to old for the B.S. of punks and animals. As a former correctional officer. i have seen the worst side of life. If need be I will shoot you.

A armed man is a citizen. A unarmed man is a subject.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #47

If someone is stupid enough to pull a weapon on me or otherwise threaten my life, they're catching a controlled pair to the head. That's one less witness and one less person who will sue me. That's also one less criminal that the judicial system will spend an immense amount of time and money on to convict and perhaps imprison for a short period of time and subsequently release back into the world to do more damage. I've seen plenty of people like that in high school, and all of the correctional facilities, juvenile detentions, boot camps, and other BS programs out there never fixed a single one of them. In fact many of them came out worse, thinking they were hard cases because they got sent to boot camp.

One in particular was a completely lost kid, he was 13 or 14 when he started breaking into houses and committing serious acts of vandalism. He was caught several times, and his parents got him off with slaps on the wrist, or virtually nothing was done because he was a juvenile. By age 15 he had emptied his mom's bank account, stolen her car, and wrecked it. The most that ever happened to him throughout this period was going to juvenile detention for a little while and one or two trips to boot camp where he returned thinking he was even more of a hard ass. At age 16 he was drinking and driving and killed a girl and severely injured her boyfriend (he has severe permanent damage and is crippled) on the night he was going to propose to her. Both were successful and productive members of society. After being given yet another light sentence because he was a juvenile, he violated probation when he was a having a loud party, the cops were called to his house, and he answered the door drunk and high. Supposedly he was going to really get a tough sentence since he violated his probation. I hadn't heard much about him since then, but now 2-3 years afterward, he's already out of prison and supposedly no different. Keep in mind this is in an upper middle class area with very little crime, and in Alabama where we have a "strict" judicial system (compared to most other states), and I knew several kids like this, this guy wasn't a freak occurance.

If someone like this makes the mistake of doing something that would legally allow me to fire at him, I'm shooting, and I'm aiming for a vital area. The world is better off without them, the judicial system most likely won't do anything or won't do enough to prevent them from doing it again, most likely his next victim will not be as well able to defend himself/herself, and maybe next time the crime he commits will be more serious. Also keep in mind that a crappy judicial system works two ways.

You can value life. I certainly do. But you don't have to value ALL life.

Last edited by Crispy129; 01-10-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #48

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Training, mettle, introspection and courage will direct you to carry or not. Once that personal decision is made there is no thinking in personal defense. (Sound like Top Gun?) If it's not a smooth “muscle memory” response, you're dead.

With that said, the real answer is; it depends on what your personal tipping-point threshold is. If your respond criteria are met, the draw and shoot action is put into process. This is an extremely short period of time which is also clouded by a gut pump of adrenaline.

This is the last chance the bad guy has to react. Of course, if he turns and runs you will pull up short, clear the area and reholster.

IF NOTHING CHANGES, game over, you will probably empty your gun.

Unless we have been there, we never know. I pray I never reach that tipping point but, if I do, I’m ready to respond with extreme prejudice.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
+1 on that. I don't think anyone on here WANTS to have to pull and shoot someone. If you feel funny about a situation, there is probably a reason.

Nothing wrong with exiting Stage Right and calling it a day in my opinion.

You can call it "cowardice" if you want too, but personally I think that examining a situation, and the future impact, is more clear headed and less likely to land you in cuffs, or worse, than being the Testosterone Poster Boy for the Left....

JD
Absolutely correct, We have nothing to prove by pulling a trigger but alot to prove if we do. Our firearms give us the ability to use deadly force when absolutely needed. It's better to "walk to the other side of the street" if it means saving a life. But if the trouble walks to the other side also we have the means to protect ourself.

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)