Gut check ! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Gut check !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think your dead on with the above statements Devil Dog (if you don't mind a swabby calling you that)-- before I got my CCW I was much more aggressive in everything that I did. Not to the point where I was looking for trouble, but for example, if someone cut me off on the road I would have pulled up next to them and shot them the bird. Now that carry I shrug it off. It could be that I'm 36 now (I still feel 25 though) and I've just matured (finally), but I think that carrying a weapon puts things into perspective. If it's not life threatening it's not a big deal.

Putting aside all the personal attacks against Matt:
I agree with the NRA guy on some of his stances though-- I think situational awareness has enough "aggressiveness" incorporated into it (maybe aggressiveness isn't the right word, but maybe the will to do what you have to, to win the and survive the fight) to keep the user alive.

I think that we are playing a game of semantics -- for example if you use the Color Code and you are in Yellow, it is implied that you are on the verge of going into orange (that's where "ANTICIPATION" comes in). Once in Orange "the switch gets flipped" and you go into "aggressive" mode.

To say that the Color Code is not enough because you are not aggressive enough is just an opinion (aggressiveness comes in different degrees), just because the code does not specifically say "start thinking about having to kill this guy" (which is where the semantics is coming into play) doesn't mean that it is not implied.

Furthermore, having read Matt's statements to I do not believe that he was Matt was calling you a blood thirsty killer, he was merely equating your mentality to walking around all day in condition orange (again that's what I took away from his statements). On the other side of the coin I do not think that you walk around all day in what I equate to "condition orange", rather you probably are in condition orange when you go into the big city or a bad neighborhood ect. Which is a perfectly reasonable state to be in when your uncomfortable with the surroundings, in my opinion (since I do it myself ).

Like I said the "color code" has kept me out of trouble and I feel that it will continue to do so.

For anyone interested in Jeff Cooper's Situational Awareness see link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=XGvS97ZNRi8C&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=color+co de+of+situational+awareness+jeff+cooper's&source=w eb&ots=AlxQWjmrbi&sig=BAVEIqHZdJzY14ioxHbDBwCih6E& hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result#PPP1, M1

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-23-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #32

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
I think your dead on with the above statements Devil Dog (if you don't mind a swabby calling you that)-- before I got my CCW I was much more aggressive in everything that I did. Not to the point where I was looking for trouble, but for example, if someone cut me off on the road I would have pulled up next to them and shot them the bird. Now that carry I shrug it off. It could be that I'm 36 now (I still feel 25 though) and I've just matured (finally), but I think that carrying a weapon puts things into perspective. If it's not life threatening it's not a big deal.

[/url]
I don't mind at all JP. I've been called worse, and I applaud you for your newfound maturity. It took me until my late 40's to shrug off the road rage and the overwhelming desire to beat the living sh!t out of whoever cut me off or flipped me the bird. 10 Years ago I had my gun out when some jackass passed me on a bad turn and almost ran me off the road trying to pull back into my lane. Sometimes meeting force with force is not a good idea. Meeting stupidity with force is an even worse idea.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Like I said the "color code" has kept me out of trouble and I feel that it will continue to do so.
Odd I never considered going through life playing with colors , I just thought of it as going through life with your head NOT being firmly planted up your AZZ and paying attention to things going on around me .

Not much harder than looking both ways before you step into a street if you think about it .

Old 08-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Odd I never considered going through life playing with colors , I just thought of it as going through life with your head NOT being firmly planted up your AZZ and paying attention to things going on around me .

Not much harder than looking both ways before you step into a street if you think about it .

LOL - it does seem like a lot of unneccesary work to correlate a color code table to normal human visual and mental queues. It give "experts" something to do I suppose.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post

It's just a way to describe levels of alertness. However, I know what you are saying.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #36

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Dude how would you make a range card for this? I think you would look a tad funny with a big 8x10" sheat od paper hanging aroudn your neck with a bunch of pictures and colors on it.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #37

ha ha-- do you even know what a range card is?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 AM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Aww hell. I had such fine things to write but got lost exploring the turd tossing battle. Anyway, Big001, I feel your pain, once got my ass kicked by four indians because I was the lone white guy. As far as the ooda thing, the lovely Mrs Fall once reserved us a room at some motel the night before we were to fly Outside (so no gun). My daughters boyfriend dropped us off there and said, "Wow, this is where my buddy has all the trouble with the crackheads!" long story.
Anyway. I had occasion to walk across the parking lot back to the office for something and a less than sterling looking individual eyed me and started walking toward me. I locked eyes with him and headed directly at him. He took a 90 to starboard and vanished into some parked cars. No one bothered me. Possibly because the lovely Mrs Fall tells me I look like nobody's sweetheart (except hers) but I think alert and aggressive moves show lack of prey inclination. Of course, maybe next time the mutt will just shoot me...

Old 09-10-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I don't mind at all JP. I've been called worse, and I applaud you for your newfound maturity. It took me until my late 40's to shrug off the road rage and the overwhelming desire to beat the living sh!t out of whoever cut me off or flipped me the bird. 10 Years ago I had my gun out when some jackass passed me on a bad turn and almost ran me off the road trying to pull back into my lane. Sometimes meeting force with force is not a good idea. Meeting stupidity with force is an even worse idea.
I too, went through that "kick their asses" for cutting me off attitude. This was LONG before "road rage" was the buzz-word of the day. Over the years I have learned to be more defensive and less offensive.

CASE IN POINT, two days ago...
A person cut me off and nearly had a head-on collision with on comming traffic. This really sucked! The guy didn't seem to be drunk, but he intentionally drove on the wrong side of the road with traffic heading our way. I pulled out my "car gun" and kept it in my lap while I followed him. I called 911 on my cell and told them of the situation, and that the situation was getting worse by the minute. I stayed on the phone with 911 and followed the subject while waiting for the Police to show up. There were several close-calls in the next few blocks. I told the 911 operator I was legally armed and I will stop this person if a LEO didn't show up really, really soon. Within a minute, a motorcycle cop showed up and got between me and the subject. The cop attempted to stop the guy, but it wasn't going to happen. Moments later, a squad car arrived and blocked the subjects vehicle . The motorcycle cop opened the door, grabbed the guy pulled him out of the truck and slammed his worthless face down in the street and handcuffed him. I thanked the 911 operator for the quick responce. I gave her my name & number if needed for testimony, then went on my way... my gun went back to its conseal spot.

I was mentally ready and heavily armed. It was my plan to stop this situation before some innocent person got killed. However on comming traffic was minimal and I felt I had time to allow the local LEO's to arrive and neutralize this situation. That was a good call, and I am so glad I didn't have to take action... this time.

In my youth I definitely would have shot that guy FIRST, then call the police...

Last edited by Mark F; 09-10-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #40
J_B

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Be nice, it has a much more harmonious outcome

BTW that last lamb chop was ugly