Gut check ! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gut check !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1715 Posts
Likes Given: 17669

Nice sheep!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Perfect!

Now, for those of us who are unable to follow the precise democratic logic behind this statement, exactly how does a person arrive at such a conclusion?

Moreover, I really have to disagree with all of the responses so far. It's NOT situational awareness that's going to save you. Situational awareness in any of its popular forms; i.e.: Cooper's Color Code, or Boyd's OODA Loop, is NOT enough to see you safely through an armed confrontation. Something else, something very important, has to occur first!

Sure, this stuff sounds good on the internet; but, ultimately, none of it is going to keep you alive. The OODA Loop is a superior combat mentality to the more conventional Color Code; but, what keeps you alive during the moments immediately preceding an armed confrontation isn't just observation; it's not orientation either because - unless you're flying an airplane - you might not be able to maneuver. The decision part is the one I like the best; but, that's simply because it implies either fight or flight and excludes freezing.

Action, in and of itself, may or may not be useful. Lots of people take action when confronted. So what? Too many times that action is entirely inappropriate and may get them killed! In my opinion the one answer that is more correct than all the others is ..... ANTICIPATION!

When you anticipate, you form plans; you decide between choices; you gauge the situation; you gauge your opponent, and actively seek to exploit any perceived weakness, emotional foible, or tactical mistake he might demonstrate. Simply stated: You've got to be one small step, and one short second ahead of the other guy. When confronted you have to be able to demonstrate an immediate ability to be instantaneously lethal.

(Your weapon has to be either at or, ideally, in hand; and, while it might not conform to any set of, 'Marquess of Queensberry rules' ideally your attack should begin with an element of surprise.)

If you should fail to promptly behave in this way and act decisively, well .... you're chances of walking away from the incident, unscathed, are going to be greatly reduced. I have long recommended to anyone interested in learning these sorts of behaviors that he should practice, ‘WALKING SCENARIOS’ for himself.

As you move about during the day take a few moments, every now and then, to ask yourself; ‘If this (hypothetical bad situation) happened to me, right now, what would I do?’ ‘How would – how should - I respond?’ Do this enough times and you’ll have a mental template alive and active inside your head for many of the worst case scenarios.
She's purty.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 08-21-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 AM   #13

Plus one-- as far as posting link or citing a source-- please.

on the

Quote:
None of us live in combat though. They make lovely anti-anxiety medications these days for those that feel they do though.
I don't know about the junk part though-- running scenarios can keep you from going into the evil "White" zone while at a stop light (which I've been known to slip into )

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Last edited by JPBeck; 08-21-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #14

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][QUOTE=G21.45;37101]Perfect!

Now, for those of us who are unable to follow the precise democratic logic behind this statement, exactly how does a person arrive at such a conclusion?

Moreover, I really have to disagree with all of the responses so far. It's NOT situational awareness that's going to save you. Situational awareness in any of its popular forms; i.e.: Cooper's Color Code, or Boyd's OODA Loop, is NOT enough to see you safely through an armed confrontation. Something else, something very important, has to occur first!

Sure, this stuff sounds good on the internet; but, ultimately, none of it is going to keep you alive. The OODA Loop is a superior combat mentality to the more conventional Color Code; but, what keeps you alive during the moments immediately preceding an armed confrontation isn't just observation; it's not orientation either because - unless you're flying an airplane - you might not be able to maneuver. The decision part is the one I like the best; but, that's simply because it implies either fight or flight and excludes freezing.

Action, in and of itself, may or may not be useful. Lots of people take action when confronted. So what? Too many times that action is entirely inappropriate and may get them killed! In my opinion the one answer that is more correct than all the others is ..... ANTICIPATION!

When you anticipate, you form plans; you decide between choices; you gauge the situation; you gauge your opponent, and actively seek to exploit any perceived weakness, emotional foible, or tactical mistake he might demonstrate. Simply stated: You've got to be one small step, and one short second ahead of the other guy. When confronted you have to be able to demonstrate an immediate ability to be instantaneously lethal.

(Your weapon has to be either at or, ideally, in hand; and, while it might not conform to any set of, 'Marquess of Queensberry rules' ideally your attack should begin with an element of surprise.)

If you should fail to promptly behave in this way and act decisively, well .... you're chances of walking away from the incident, unscathed, are going to be greatly reduced. I have long recommended to anyone interested in learning these sorts of behaviors that he should practice, ‘WALKING SCENARIOS’ for himself.

As you move about during the day take a few moments, every now and then, to ask yourself; ‘If this (hypothetical bad situation) happened to me, right now, what would I do?’ ‘How would – how should - I respond?’ Do this enough times and you’ll have a mental template alive and active inside your head for many of the worst case scenarios. [/

I THINK I JUST SAW MY WIFE

Last edited by dirtysouth; 08-21-2008 at 01:02 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default John Boyd`s OODA Loop!

Obsreve,Orient,Decide,Act--Obsreve,Orient,Decide,Act,over and over and over,-the first one to decide,the first one to get into the other`s loop,the one who decides first,acts first,thus the winner.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Plus one-- as far as posting link or citing a source-- please.

on the
I don't know about the junk part though-- running scenarios can keep you from going into the evil "White" zone while at a stop light (which I've been known to slip into )
I know about the anti-anxiety meds because I can't slip into the 'white zone'. I live in the OODA, which is how I know it isn't necessary day in and day out. Most days, that knock on your door is just the UPS guy. That car that has been following you for 8 block is just going to Safeway also. That guy that is always pulling up next to your house at 4 AM is your neighbor who works nights.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #17

Wow that sucks-- I just got out the hot tub--- where I was most definitely in the WHITE ZONE! Ducking for cover.

Sorry to hear your "condition". I suffered from PTSD when I first got out-- sleepless nights, when I did sleep I woke up sopping wet, violent temper, and little empathy towards others-- I didn't seek help until my wife threatened to leave me. Got help and we moved on-- literally--out of the city and that helped tremendously! No problems sleeping now, no violent outbursts, and I feel bad for every idiot I see (two out of three ain't bad, right?).

Hope you get better brother.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Wow that sucks-- I just got out the hot tub--- where I was most definitely in the WHITE ZONE! Ducking for cover.

Sorry to hear your "condition". I suffered from PTSD when I first got out-- sleepless nights, when I did sleep I woke up sopping wet, violent temper, and little empathy towards others-- I didn't seek help until my wife threatened to leave me. Got help and we moved on-- literally--out of the city and that helped tremendously! No problems sleeping now, no violent outbursts, and I feel bad for every idiot I see (two out of three ain't bad, right?).

Hope you get better brother.
It's manageable, I just need a chill pill every once in a while. I cooked my brain with LSD when I was a kid, then as I was coming down from that ride, I let Uncle Sugar program me as an ultra efficient killer. In retrospect, I probably should have waited a year or two between one and the other, but hindsight is always 20/20.

On top of all of that, I've got a 'type A' personality and in IQ of better than 140, so my mind gets bored quick and decides to play with itself. Unfortunately, it always wants to play Splinter Cell.

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 08-21-2008 at 03:05 AM.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default These are the things I needed !

I sumize,that we are all human, and I personally prefer human inter-action over 100% mechanical response.It`s become a very dark and cold planet I find my-self upon.I find the " loop " a way of seeing the world around me,not to the point of paranoia,but just total awareness.I hope every one of us dose the right thing at the right time.but it sure can be unclear at times.I`ve decided to take some gun fighting classes and lots of research so I can find my own comfort zone with this huge two-sided resposibilty!Thank all of you for you`re candor and by all means,this is very helpfull. STILL,LOVE THE SHEEP

Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
..... I've decided to take some gun fighting classes and do lots of research so I can find my own comfort zone with this huge two-sided responsibility! Thank all of you for your candor; and, by all means, this is very helpful. STILL, LOVE THE SHEEP!
Hey, man! Here's another mutton chop for ya -

If you find a place that gives, 'gunfighting classes' please, by all means, let me know. (I'd like to take some classes, too!) In my old age I'm starting to think that, 'gunfighting savvy' is a lot like common sense:

Everybody thinks he's got it; but, the truth is, there's just not that much out there to go around!

Lance Thomas, America's Greatest Modern Gunfighter

Last edited by G21.45; 08-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.