You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Gunshow Prices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1718 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 464

Default Gun shows

Gun shows are unpredictable, you get frustrated about prices, then suddenly you look down and there is a bargain. A year ago this June, when the Ruger .380 LCP was selling like hotcakes, folks were paying $325 to $375. I look down and see one dealer selling them (new in the box) for $275. Yep, bought one.

The other factor is that the dealers do not want to give you a price for your gun anywhere near what they are asking for theirs. I don't expect to get that price but at least $100 near.

Then there is the offer. Make offers, if you don't work out a price, then it did not cost you a penny. If they take an offer then everybody is happy.
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt. Also a Tail hooker, US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member. VN vet, Bluenose and Shellback.

Alway keep your six covered
Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Liked 3726 Times on 2104 Posts
Likes Given: 2531

I've seen this same syndrome through the years.

Yard sales, swap meets, flea markets, sheriff's sales,

gun shows.

The word gets out that you can save money,

and sheople lose their minds, go nuts, and start flocking

to these events.

Prices outrageous? Look around you. They aren't selling to you,

unfortunately they're selling to the 10,000 idiots in the crowd who

don't comparison shop, but think they are saving money, anyway...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Liked 3350 Times on 1688 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Your paying extra for the ambiance:
Used guns at new prices
New guns at nearly MSRP, or sometimes higher
$4 Hot dogs.
Grumpy vendors
Yard sale reloading gear (odds & ends) above MSRP
Powder, primers & bullets priced above all of the local retailers (Cabela's excluded).

What's not to love?

Every once in a while I'll go just to see if there's anything interesting. I'll occasionally come home with books, and the odd accessory.
Decent deals at guns shows?
Bulk Ammo.
Cleaning stuff and related accessories.
MSgt, USAF, Retired
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
Old 05-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Liked 22400 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i just don't go like i use to anymore as i was just getting more disappointed than anything else. part so because there just doesn't seem to be the oddball stuff available like it was many years ago for a decent price. i like to see older and more oddball stuff rather than the newer and easily available firearms. i can go to my LGS and buy a new pistol or rifle, and if he doesn't have it in stock, well he can always order it for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
Liked 3643 Times on 2008 Posts
Likes Given: 1069

There are deals at gun shows but there are a lot of over priced items too. You have to know what you are doing or keep your money at home. I missed a great deal because I did not take time to ask the guy setting up his table how much. I passed up some good prices because I did not have a need for that particular gun. Watch for the guys carrying guns and/or signs. I have seen some older guys sell their pet rifle to a shooter for less than the dealer was offering. Rare but it happens.
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Now, that is a good point JTJ. Last time I went, my wife saw a couple with an old, beat up single barrel shotgun that was missing the trigger guard. They said they wanted $100, she said $50. They took the offer. It's a wallhanger. I'm not interested in fixing it, since it's older and would cost more in parts to repair than we paid for it, but she likes it, and I think that the price was reasonable for it.
What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I went to my first gun show last month. I wasn't too impressed. There was a good mix of dealers vs. individuals. The prices weren't great. But there were a few deals here and there. I almost bough a shotgun. There were two good semi-autos for sale. Too bad I had already purchased one at Bud's the day before. I was really disappointed in the selection though. It was a lot of the same stuff over and over again. But there was some cool off the wall odds and ends to see.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Liked 362 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Unfortunately my issue with gun shows are due to them disarming everyone. If you wanted to rob someone just go to a gun show everyone has their gun zip tied up and couldn't defend themselves if needed.
"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #19
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Only a guess, but maybe it's changed because the city fathers have gotten greedy & are charging more for the 'hall' that it's being held in. Also, maybe the promoters have started charging more for the booths. I remember the days of the $2 ticket, now it costs $7. I've read that in some areas they've even started charging for parking!

But, can still find some bargains. I was going through one a while back & found two dealers with a NIB Colt XSE Commander & there was $150 difference in the price. I couldn't believe the price on the cheaper one. It beat anything I'd seen anywhere! I had only gone there to check out SD ammo that I couldn't find locally, but I boogied back home, got some cash, went back & bought it.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #20

Originally Posted by omroi2001 View Post
Why are "Gunshows" prices so high? You would think that they would lower the prices so they can sell more at these shows. I understand its a business and they have overhead and all that mumbo jumbo but guys "Come On". You can afford to cut $50.00 to $75.00 atleast. I guess it comes down to if you want to make a sell or not.
I can't agree with you more. From what I remember, the first and last gunshow I went to in Vallejo, CA left me disappointed with prices. Now I’m a notorious bargain hunter and I can tell you this much; gunshows are a scam. There was not one thing, and let me repeat, “one thing”, there that I could not get cheaper elsewhere. To top it off, they charge $10 admission and $5 parking. Along with about $10 for gas and $5 toll bridge just to get there; I feel swindled for $30.00 bucks.