Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Gunshow Prices (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/gunshow-prices-63736/)

omroi2001 05-03-2012 03:09 AM

Gunshow Prices

Why are "Gunshows" prices so high? You would think that they would lower the prices so they can sell more at these shows. I understand its a business and they have overhead and all that mumbo jumbo but guys "Come On". You can afford to cut $50.00 to $75.00 atleast. I guess it comes down to if you want to make a sell or not.

Dear Mr. President,

I will hold on to my GOD, my guns and my freedom and we will replace you by voting you out of office and help restore our United States.

Sincerely,

America

Jimc19322 05-03-2012 05:48 AM

I don't understand it. Around Ohio you can get every gun,accessory,or box of ammo for cheaper at your local dealer. Every now and again you come across something at a show that is a good deal but I just can't justify paying a hundred dollars more for a used gun at a show than what I can get it for at my local dealer. It's literally that bad. When we go to shows now it's more o just browse around and look at all of the guns, more like a museum. Albeit,if your wanting to trade something for something else I believe a show is probably your best option. Just my .02 cents

danf_fl 05-03-2012 10:46 AM

It is called a "gun show", but in reality, they are "mini S.H.O.T. shows" for dealers.

The idea of a place where an individual could sell their collection is long past.

silverado113 05-03-2012 12:22 PM

You also have to figure in that most dealers mark up their guns only 25% at most. Smaller dealers are going to incur a larger cost from the distributor because they don't order much and a lot of dealers at shows are small. 25% isn't much considering bottled water is marked up 4000%.

Axxe55 05-03-2012 12:22 PM

i agree for the most part. most of the gun shows in our neck of the woods have prices higher than what i would pay just by going to my LGS and either buying it or ordering it from them. my LGS does participate in two gun shows a year in our area, and he actually does deep discount his items for sale at the gun shows. i know this because i am in his shop quite often and have a good idea on his prices. another thing that ticks me off is some people pricing their used items at or above the cost of the same item new. well they may be looking for a sucker, but it ain't me. several years ago, i went to one looking for some old Mauser actions or rifles to scavenge for the actions to possibly do some rifle builds with and one gentlemen had several very well worn pieces of junk Mauser rifles, wanting between $450-600 for them. i explained what i wanted and said i was looking for some in the $150-200 range. he told me those didn't exist anymore. funny thing is i found many of them later on several of the gun auctions sites for that price a few days later.

kytowboater 05-03-2012 12:44 PM

They are scamming people, sometimes you get lucky. In 2007 I bought a new in the box 870 express super mag 12 in cammo for $400 after taxes. Daddy found an old k gram .22 in mint condition, fella wanted $600 for it. Walked around a while and found another the same condition with the box for $400..... Guess It pays to search.

silverado113 05-03-2012 01:33 PM

I haven't seen that problem here at the shows. Most places are within 20-40 dollars of each other, there may be a few like that at the shows in the sticks but around my area they are all competitive with their price points and actually cheaper than most of the LGS.

jjfuller1 05-03-2012 02:19 PM

i think its mostly this last year. begining of 2011 i was still able to find cheaper prices on guns and ammo at the shows. but each one i go to now shows increase like every weekend

BlueTurf 05-03-2012 02:29 PM

There is a big gun show at the fairgrounds here every six weeks. I used to go to these shows all the time but they got boring. I have never felt that the gun shows had prices that were any better than the normal retailers, in fact their prices were usually higher. There is always a chance you might find a gun you want that is not available anywhere else.. There are a lot of neat gun accessories and other stuff at these shows. I guess it is cheap entertainment. Once in a while I go to the gun show to look for ammo and reloading components. I save a little money because I don't have to pay shipping costs.

BenLuby 05-03-2012 03:07 PM

Sometimes you can find a good buy, other times they're attempting to jack you for some cash by looking for a newb who doesn't know what they're doing. They hate me because I'll pull my smartphone out and look it up on the spot to see if the price is competitive or they are out of their mind.