Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns you'd swear by

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

all i can do is give my experience.

i instructed pistol marksmanship in the army and was there teaching for the conversion from the 1911 to the berreta. with proper instruction there is little difference in style of pistol whether it is revolver or automatic. the main issues of handguns are first safety above all things, then comes grip, and lastly sight picture and trigger squeeze.

revolvers are no more or less reliable than any other properly maintened and functioning firearm. revovlers have a major drawback in that they are extremely slow to reload if the fight goes beyound 6 shots. revolvers are MUCH harder to use under stress in that the trigger is used in almost exclusive double action mode which makes marksmanship much harder. another of the big issues with revolvers is that during practice most folks fire exclusively in single action mode cocking the hammer for each shot. under life or death situations one doesnt have the time to thumb cock the revolver for each shot and reverting to a double action pull which is often very creepish and heavy in stock revovlers especially rugers.

learning to use and fire a nice high quality semi auto is preferable to using a revolver. one of the big bonuses for training is that most brands of semi-autos have .22LR conversion kits to allow for frequent cheap practice and lots of trigger with the same trigger pull and pointability and feel of the weapon your going to use for self defense.

my recomendation for someone new to handguns is pick a high quality semi-auto that has a .22LR conversion available for the caliber and frame you pick. training is the most important aspect for a new person to have. if your choice doesnt have a conversion pick a caliber with easy to get and cheap ammo. currently 9mm or .45ACP are top choices as centerfire ammo is relatively cheap to practice with.

Lastly seek proffessional training if this is your first experience with handguns and you plan on conceal carry. a concealed carry course is not enough training.

Just my opinions.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Training is the key issue when using auto-loading handguns. Quite often while I'm working I get called out on the range because of a jambed firearm. 9 out of 10 times these jambs are caused by operator error, a limp wrist. Under stressful situations, with novice firearms owners this could be a problem. This is why I recommend wheel guns to people who buy firearms for the sole purpose of home protection.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #23

I like JonM's suggestion to purchase something that you can get a .22 conversion kit with. Smart, smart, smart!

You most probably will have no troubles with a .45 in the end - go for the ideal .45 and spend the extra $$ right then and there for the conversion kit.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #24

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

If you can take a 9" target at 100 Yards w/ a semi or wheelgun, your an awesome shot! I have a Wilson 1911 Commander w/ a .22lr conversion kit. At 25 yards it is deadly. I also have a S&W 19-4 that I have taken targets or objects at 100 yards, but!! Forget shooting a handgun at 100 yards. Try 5 yards! The best semi handguns I use are Sigs, older sigs. Revolvers, S&W.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Cmon-let's get real. Elmer Keith could make shots like that BUT I seriously doubt anybody else can. 300 yards or more with a revolver??????? Not counting the S&W .460 I'd like to see that. It would be unethical to even shoot at game that far away for the average shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes View Post
And yet another take....

After proper instruction etc.

Semi Auto pistols 0 to 100 yds or so.

Revolvers in larger calibers 300yds or further. More energy delivered down range.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #26

Wow, I'm amazed by all the responses in just a day... There's way too many for me to respond to them all, but thanks to everyone for all the great advice!

I'll definitely be adding revolvers to my list for serious consideration, and the idea for conversion kits sounds great to me too. From what I read, the .357, GP100, XD and 1911 were mentioned the most, so I'll start there, but I'll definitely be looking at all of the guns you guys mentioned. I want to get this choice right.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Comments are purely my opinion unless otherwise stated.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Cmon-let's get real. Elmer Keith could make shots like that BUT I seriously doubt anybody else can. 300 yards or more with a revolver??????? Not counting the S&W .460 I'd like to see that. It would be unethical to even shoot at game that far away for the REALLY GOOD shot.
Quoted for Truth, with a mild modification.

300 yards? With a pistol? On purpose and with intent??

The kiosk is calling bro.....

Old 12-29-2009, 01:40 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Quoted for Truth, with a mild modification.

300 yards? With a pistol? On purpose and with intent??

The kiosk is calling bro.....
JD, your too kind. I almost wet myself when I read that post.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If dependability is your most important feature, I'd have to agree with choosing a revolver. Ruger and Smith & Wesson make great guns. Some folks also swear by other brands, but those are the two (besides Colt, who no longer makes revolvers) that I have enough experience with to recommend. Personally, I like Smith triggers better than Ruger, but that's me.

In semi-autos, I carry a Glock, and every Glock I have owned has been ultra-reliable. My friends with XDs have the same experience, though with fewer rounds downrange (so far).

My caution to you about 1911s is that there are so many models from so many manufacturers with so many features that you would have to do a great deal of research to determine which are reliable and which will suit you best. An earlier poster referred to the 1911 as the preference for many "seasoned" shooters. I recommend that you get "seasoned" by owning at least a couple of other guns first. Then you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like before you spend a lot of money on a quality 1911.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #30

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes View Post
And yet another take....

After proper instruction etc.

Semi Auto pistols 0 to 100 yds or so.

Revolvers in larger calibers 300yds or further. More energy delivered down range.
Wait for a knock on your door. They are coming to revoke your Ohio card.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!