Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns (with Silencers) of the Cold War Era of the 1960's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Brit living in Bretagne, France only because I couldn't get residency in Texas! Moved the business back to Europe about five years ago, but couldn't think of moving to the UK (they banned handguns!), so I ended up here where they don't..............
Hey Boris. Is that your real name? I'll be honest that I thought you were Russian or Eastern European. So why couldn't you get residency in Texas? I had seen where the UK was really strict on guns. So France isn't as tough?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #12

No, David................I had just watched a movie, 'Snatch' and took the name from one of the characters. Texas is a long story, but here is the short version. On retiring form the Police Service I did a bit of CP work but realised that I am getting a bit long in the tooth for it, I was asked to do a few talks on my spe******t duties whilst in the Police, which was dogs, operational deployment and training. In addition the inclusion of dogs within the tactical team. (building/open country searching and tracking etc.).

One thing led to another and I end up setting up a small company providing European dogs and training to police and law enforcement agencies in the US, Africa and Europe. I provide Police Patrol (GP) Dogs, and single purpose drug and explosive detectors. We have three staff Bomb Detectors, two working Cocker Spaniels and a duel trained Patrol/Explo GSD, and contract private searches at corporate and goverment level.

At the time I was working with a number of agencies in Texas and I had a few friends in the gun world out there so I moved the training centre near Abilene. I engaged a few lawyers who took a good deal of money and achieved absolutly nothing by way of a residency card.

Most of us can remember where we where at the time of the attack on the Twin Towers, I was having breakfast at the Northside Cafe, Anson with a couple of officers on an initial drug dog course. It was at this time I realised that it was simply not going to happen so we packed up and moved back to Europe. As I mentioned they have almost banned private ownership of guns in the UK, so going back home was not an option, we ended up here in France. But, I do miss the States I was always made extremely welcome and I look forward to my next visit.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #13

Hey there. Nothing wrong with using the name Boris. Yeah, I've seen Snatch. Good movie. It was full of some interesting characters.

Thanks for filling me in on what exactly went down. It's neat that you are a Brit who wanted to live in Texas, but ended up in France. You sound like you've lived a fascinating life. Your career definitely sounds intriguing. You are most definitely doing something worthwhile and beneficial to society.

Yeah I was out doing some early morning shopping when I heard on the radio about the first tower being hit. Then the next thing I knew the second one was hit. We knew then it couldn't have been any sort of accident. We had been attacked. That was a sad day. I know some people who lost loved ones on 9/11.

I have heard some frightening things about the gun laws in the UK. That's a shame. I'm glad France isn't as bad. So how are their gun laws? Is there a big gun control movement there?

I'm glad you enjoyed being in the States. I know I've always tried to be hospitable and welcoming to those who come here.