Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Guns (with Silencers) of the Cold War Era of the 1960's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/guns-silencers-cold-war-era-1960s-2857/)

roguespy007 12-30-2007 06:26 PM

Guns (with Silencers) of the Cold War Era of the 1960's

Hello. I just posted an introduction. I'm interested in learning more about the guns of the 1960's. I want to learn more about the guns that would have been popular during the Cold War era of the 1960's. What is a gun that could have been equipped with a silencer back in the mid-60's. I know James Bond used a Walther, but what are some besides it? Also could you ever use a suppressor on any type of Sig Sauer or Browning? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. Take care. Happy New Year! Keith

matt g 12-30-2007 07:50 PM

Any auto pistol can be fitted with a suppressor, but it will take some smithing to get it done. Many Sigs come from the factory with the option of a threaded barrel to attach a suppressor.

I'm sure that a few hours online with Google, or a trip to a bookstore would give you enough info to keep entertained for hours.

robocop10mm 01-02-2008 05:08 PM

Supressed pistols

One of the more popular ones was the Hush Puppy. A Smith and Wesson model 39 equipped with an extended/threaded barrel and supressor. Supposedly the CIA and maybe some Special Forces types used them in Vietnam.

roguespy007 01-02-2008 05:31 PM

Thanks for mentioning the Hush Puppy. I had someone else recently bring that one up to me. It sounds awesome. Happy New Year.

matt g 01-03-2008 02:42 AM

You might want to look at the High Standards .22s also.

roguespy007 01-03-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 13587)
You might want to look at the High Standards .22s also.

Thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

Boris 01-03-2008 04:26 PM

I still have the adaptor for a wartime High Standard .22lr pistol which was issued to some operatives of your wartime OSS organisation. Sadly the pistol disappeared in a deal with a gunshop years ago. As most ofyou are aware silencers here are not prohibited and most .22lr rifles are cut for a sound moderator. Which is a change as generally you guys have a more liberal system than over here.

It's a bit of fun but I would imagine a bit of an expensive waste of time in a full bore handgun, hard to justify the expense. The .22lr is a bit handy, the best option is to keep one eyes open for a Manhurin (French) Walther.22lr Sport. The point of the Manhurin is that the pistol was manufactured with the pocket pistol action,and not the single action of the German counterpart.The barrel can be cut back and threaded for the Parker hale sound moderator.Mount a front sight on the slide, change the grips and off you go...............

Gunnutz13 01-03-2008 04:43 PM

Another flashback...

1 Attachment(s)
The man from U.N.C.L.E. used a tricked out P38...I had the whole setup as a kid back in the day...had a silencer, a shoulder stock and scope...a badge...membership card...all packaged with pictures of the two hottest secret agents since James Bond on the box....

Napoleon Solo ( Robert Vaughn )
&
Illya Kuryakin ( David McCallum )

roguespy007 01-03-2008 04:49 PM

Thanks for the response. I'll have to look into the French Manhurin Walther.22lr Sport. It sounds fascinating.

Where are you at Boris? There are many things that here in the United States, especially certain states, that we tend to be more liberal on when it comes to gun laws and other things they are strict about.

Gunnutz, I love The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I watched it in syndication as a kid. They were some cool spies.

Boris 01-03-2008 06:41 PM

Brit living in Bretagne, France only because I couldn't get residency in Texas! Moved the business back to Europe about five years ago, but couldn't think of moving to the UK (they banned handguns!), so I ended up here where they don't..............