Guns and kids - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns and kids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I believe mine uses the same lock...mechanical push button code, twist the dial and door drops open.

Had mine for 12 years or so with not problems and I really like the "no electronics" nature of it...

Tack
Yup, that's what I have. V-line Top Drawer Security Case. Think I paid $190ish for it, but it's well built, fairly roomy (two pistols and a couple mags if need be), and quick to open.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #32

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
Yup, that's what I have. V-line Top Drawer Security Case. Think I paid $190ish for it, but it's well built, fairly roomy (two pistols and a couple mags if need be), and quick to open.
Can't find a brand name mine and lost the paperwork years ago but it's a single gun safe that mounts to my bedframe. There is a holster mounted to the drop open door so its very easy to grab the pistol.

Tack

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

My philosophy was simple. Take the mystery out of the gun and teach them. So that's what I did. Up until they were around 7 I kept everything in the safe except my carry weapon at the time, my Glock 30. At the time (I have two girls, currently 9 and 11) they got to be 7 and 9 I took them in the kitchen, pulled every single firearm I have out and layed them out and told them to ask anything they wanted. I told them they could hold them, feel them, inspect them, anything. It was about a 30 minute process with me letting them have the lead. I explained gun safety, handling, firing, the whole 9 yards. I then took them (only one at a time) to the range and let them shoot. I had an old CO2 powered bb gun that had died years ago, so I started leaving it lying around the house randomly to see what they'd do. Not once have they ever picked it up. I've even intentionally left it out with surveillance camera on it while I wasn't home. They've never once touched anything, and they always alert me to anything out of the ordinary. They actually enjoy going to the range, and ask me quite often to go. (and my 11 year old is hell bent on shooting a .45 without assistance....lol)

Now, I will tell you this. When my oldest was about 4, I kept a .22 pocket gun in the glove box of the family car. My wife went to the store one day, and when she came home and was unloading the car, the door shut with the 4 year old inside and the doors were locked. Of all the things the kid could do, trying to coerce her to push the unlock button......hell no she opened the glove box and dug that pistol out. I never kept a round chambered, so there was no danger of anything happening, but it's one of those situations where you realize kids can somehow make an unfortunate situation a lot worse. I haven't had a gun in the glove box since. Most of the time when we leave the house as a family these days, my kids ask as we are leaving, "daddy do you have your gun?" But the point is, teach them early, take the "mythical gun" part away by teaching them and allowing them to understand firearms at a very young age. My 11 year old has shown me enough that at the range, I sit on the bench and watch her load the magazine, insert the mag, rack the slide, fire at will and repeat without any intervention on my part. As a matter of a fact, i'm less worried about her than I am the weekend Rambo's that don't know what the hell they are doing.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #34

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This is the very approach I plan on taking in a few years. I think its the best way, and then you have something to do together as well. I'm really only concerned for the toddler years. I've been doing a lot of research, and am going to get a stack on safe for both my wife and I. They are buy no means "pry proof" but they will keep the little ones out and will still give us fairly quick access if needed. They are pretty affordable too, about 60 bucks a piece. The gunvault looked nice, but getting 2 of them would of been out of my budget. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26
This is the very approach I plan on taking in a few years. I think its the best way, and then you have something to do together as well. I'm really only concerned for the toddler years. I've been doing a lot of research, and am going to get a stack on safe for both my wife and I. They are buy no means "pry proof" but they will keep the little ones out and will still give us fairly quick access if needed. They are pretty affordable too, about 60 bucks a piece. The gunvault looked nice, but getting 2 of them would of been out of my budget. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
What I did for nighttime was to simply put my 1911 under my mattress. That way I could still have relatively easy access and it couldn't be grabbed out from under me without me knowing. That provided me more quick access than some type of locking safe, and I wasn't concerned about either of my kids getting to it.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 01-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #36

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Liberals antigun movement has targeted children. This is the same tactic used in the cigarette wars. The new Universal BG Check will demand no children can recieve a firearm from an adult. This means Grandpa can not hand over his old "Bear Gun" to 12 year old Johnny.
The ldea of the Left is by the time Johnny is 21 and old enough to have a gun he can be trained to hate firearms. The Public School system and the rabid antgun Teachers Union will make sure.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #37

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
This is the same tactic used in the cigarette wars.
And, this worked really well, too!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I keep my 1911 in my nightstand with a full mag. but an empty chamber. The people in my home that can rack one in are all trusted to be safe but still leave it alone. This works for me.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My son is 4 and he know if he touches my guns at all, it's a Beaton or a time. So he knows he can't play with my guns. But I still use my safes and during the day I carry it and at night it's under my bed so if I need it I can lift the bed (even with the wife on it) and get to it quick but if I'm going somewhere or if I know I can't wear my pistol it's in the safe every time.