Guns and kids - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns and kids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I have one of these. It is on the floor next to my bed. My guns are always locked in there when they are not right with me. I leave nothing to chance, even thought my granddaughter knows never to touch a gun she sees.

http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html
There are actually two important issues at play here, as winds-of-change alludes to: security of the firearm(s), and education of your children.

It's never too early to begin introducing firearm safety and handling to a child. The NRA Eddie Eagle program is a good example that comes to mind. Your kids or grandkids may find themselves in other people's homes that may not exercise the kind of security you may have in place, so a child needs to be schooled in appropriate behavior.

As others have mentioned, when a youngster is in my home, if my weapon isn't on my hip it is in a GunVault or stored up and out of sight with the ammo separate from the firearm.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #22

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

I've got a Fort Knox pistol safe on my bedside. It's mounted to my side of the bed frame. It has been my favorite pistol safe by far. I've also had gun vaults and sentry safes. This is the only one that I'd trust anymore though! They are a little pricey but worth every penny. Seriously contemplating the shotgun safe because mine is in my closet but the handle can lock.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i dont think he will just lay there in bed and let the little guy play with the safe.
I was thinking when they are older, maybe when the babysitter is there, or you're downstairs watching TV and the kiddies are playing around the house.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #24

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Kept them in my dad's safe till the kids were grown. Fortunately, nothing untoward happened while the house was unarmed.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #25
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype

I've got a Fort Knox pistol safe
I was looking at that one as well. Which one do you have?

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #26

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat View Post
After much thought on this (I have a five year old), I went with a simplex lock safe for bedside. No keys to be found, no electronics to go bad and only takes a couple seconds to open. It wasn't cheap, mostly because I think only a few companies are making them at this point, but more than worth the money.
I believe mine uses the same lock...mechanical push button code, twist the dial and door drops open.

Had mine for 12 years or so with not problems and I really like the "no electronics" nature of it...

Tack

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #27

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've got a larger Gunvault 2000B, I think it is. It was a little pricey as it was a biometric. But it works real well. I actually found this on e-bay a couple of years ago for about $275 shipped. We don't have any little kids in the house, but the almost 3 year old grandson stays with us once in a while. And, it gives the wife more peace of mind.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

I believe mine uses the same lock...mechanical push button code, twist the dial and door drops open.

Had mine for 12 years or so with not problems and I really like the "no electronics" nature of it...

Tack
My wives dad has a push button mechanical one with no electronics. There are some definant perks to that (never replacing batteries). I'm just want something to keep the toddlers out, but give me quick access. I think when the kids are older they will be familiar enough with guns that I won't really worry about them breaking into it. Lots of good ideas though. I thought about mounting one to the bed, but I think I would kick it every morning and night get getting in/out of bed lol.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #29

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67

I was looking at that one as well. Which one do you have?
The "personal pistol." How I have it mounted gives me the best access to my firearm when needed. They're all fantastic though. I've had my hands on all three and each is built with quality in mind. The models all just open a different way.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm glad i don't have to deal with this issue. When i was little, Dad put his few firearms on a high closet shelf and said not to mess with them; it generally worked.

If anybody is on a tight budget, looking for a concealed carry piece, and has kids, i'd suggest they consider a Bersa Thunder and making a charm bracelet of the integrated lock's key.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.