Guns and kids - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns and kids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like everybody uses one of the finger print ones or the code ones. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something cheap and awesome. Do you guys have one on each side of the bed as well? I'm thinking we might just get one for now for my wife since she has the revolver on her side, and get one later for me since they are pushing 100 bucks or so. I will just keep mine unloaded as there is now way my little girl can rack it yet. And who would think to look in the sock drawer for a gun The gunvault and the sentrysafe are looking the best right now, but i will keep looking. I just dont want to have to fiddle with a key or combination in the dark under pressure.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7114 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 8632

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
*embarrassing story*
One time the wife was straightening upthe house and found where i stashed my loaded pistol. She mistook it for one of my sons' airsoft guns and i later found it on the shelf in my 9yo room. Sad thing is i am more comfortable with my youngest kid handling firearms than my wife...haha
Holy ****!!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #13

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj
Until my kids were old enough to shoot with me i did not keep any loaded guns in the house. They were locked/hidden with ammo in a different area. Now that they shoot with me and demonstrate proper safety i keep mags loaded without worry.
This was exactly my method when my two boys were young. They are now 16 & 13 and shoot w/me regularly but I left nothing to chance when they were toddlers.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalboy26 View Post
The gunvault and the sentrysafe are looking the best right now, but i will keep looking. I just dont want to have to fiddle with a key or combination in the dark under pressure.
I know this doesn't seem like what you are looking for but I thought I would post it anyway. I prefer a mechanical push-button lock and the safes that are using them are made with thicker steel than most of the electronic ones are. V-Line and Fort Knox are a couple others that use this style lock, but all have different features and different gages of steel. With a little practice, there isn't a faster way to open a handgun safe and this lock will probably last you a lifetime. If you do eventually wear it out, it can be replaced. Good luck and with all the choices out there I'm sure you fill find the right one for you.

FAS1 SAFE

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

I got tired of thinking about this every time the nieces and nephews came over. I got a fingerprint safe that fits in the drawer.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1602 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 556

When we have children over I lock everything in the safe except my 380. I carry the 380 in my pocket. When I go to bed I sleep with shorts on that have a pocket. I keep both my gun and knife in my pocket all the time.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

To the OP - similar issue and I'm mobile right now so can't post the links, but have you seen the reports on some of theses $50-$300 safes? Very easy for a curious kid or determined teen to bust into. Forbes had an article and if you search YouTube for DEFCON and gun safe, you should find two videos - one from this year and one for a year or two ago (some foul language, so don't have the kids around). I'll post them later today.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #18
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

<This won’t really apply if you need something with quick access for home defense, but it's something to think about if you use any of the locks mentioned in the posts above strictly to keep your kids out.>

I’m just getting into pistols, so I’ve been looking at this closely as well. I’m sure some of you have seen it, but there was an article in Forbes, and there are some videos by DEF CON (hackers), that demonstrates that a 3-year-old can get into some of these safes (tragically, after a child was killed).

From a home defense standpoint, there’s that decision of how accessible you need a firearm to be and abide by the laws of your state. But if you have kids/teens, or worry your kid could be peer-pressured into showing mommy/daddy’s guns, then I think you have to really consider a strong second line of defense.

Yes, virtually any safe or lock can be broken depending upon the determination, but if your concern for finding a lock/safe and quick access for home defense isn’t necessarily a priority, you want to make it as discouraging as possible to avoid an accident. Taking out the mystery and educating your kids is the best tool of all.

I’ve included the Forbes article link and the author’s blog post, and the YouTube DEFCON videos below. I’ll also counter the argument that these ‘safes’ need to be mounted to avoid being tipped/banged, as the same shock can be provided to the mounted case with a hammer.

As for the Simplex locks, there was also an article on how easy they can be defeated. I thought I came across a pistol safe once that had the old fashioned, dependable turn the dial combination lock on it, but can’t find it anymore. And I don't mean the thousand pound/dollar safes. I'm just trying to find something simple and small like everyone else.

I would like to hear if anyone has used the Omega system and what their thoughts are, as it looks like a great second-line of defense against the kids. Cable locks are just too easy to cut by a determined teen. www.omegagunlock.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?p=793

NSFW – unfortunately quite a bit of foul language to make his point, but you can see the failures here. DEFCON 19 http://youtu.be/vIJFQO4DIxw
More from the recent DEFCON 20, meat and potatoes starts around 19 minutes; little kid breaking in around 49:55. Yes, the kid was prepped a little, but any curious kid or determine teen won’t have any issue going this
route if they really want to get in. http://youtu.be/48HUctXZUNw
Defeat a Simplex lock http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/08/05/defcon-lockpickers-open-card-and-code-government-locks-in-seconds/2/

Someone else posted a great quote elsewhere: "Its a balance of convenience and security. The more security you want, the less convenience you will have. The more convenience you want, the less secure it will be. Choose wisely. "

Hope this is helpful to think about. No perfect answer that I’ve found.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From my understanding, Kaba locks manufactured after November 2011 have had the defect corrected. Their real issue is the cost to repair all the ones in the field, mainly on doors.
The other manufacturer of this type of lock used on handgun safes says theirs is not effected. Seems like a rare earth magnet the strength needed would not be very common in the typical thieves toolbox. I still think it is one of the better options available with all things considered.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
<This won’t really apply if you need something with quick access for home defense, but it's something to think about if you use any of the locks mentioned in the posts above strictly to keep your kids out.>

I’m just getting into pistols, so I’ve been looking at this closely as well. I’m sure some of you have seen it, but there was an article in Forbes, and there are some videos by DEF CON (hackers), that demonstrates that a 3-year-old can get into some of these safes (tragically, after a child was killed).

From a home defense standpoint, there’s that decision of how accessible you need a firearm to be and abide by the laws of your state. But if you have kids/teens, or worry your kid could be peer-pressured into showing mommy/daddy’s guns, then I think you have to really consider a strong second line of defense.

Yes, virtually any safe or lock can be broken depending upon the determination, but if your concern for finding a lock/safe and quick access for home defense isn’t necessarily a priority, you want to make it as discouraging as possible to avoid an accident. Taking out the mystery and educating your kids is the best tool of all.

I’ve included the Forbes article link and the author’s blog post, and the YouTube DEFCON videos below. I’ll also counter the argument that these ‘safes’ need to be mounted to avoid being tipped/banged, as the same shock can be provided to the mounted case with a hammer.

As for the Simplex locks, there was also an article on how easy they can be defeated. I thought I came across a pistol safe once that had the old fashioned, dependable turn the dial combination lock on it, but can’t find it anymore. And I don't mean the thousand pound/dollar safes. I'm just trying to find something simple and small like everyone else.

I would like to hear if anyone has used the Omega system and what their thoughts are, as it looks like a great second-line of defense against the kids. Cable locks are just too easy to cut by a determined teen. www.omegagunlock.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebertobias/2012/07/27/unsafe-gun-safes-can-be-opened-by-a-three-year-old/

http://www.thesidebar.org/insecurity/?p=793

NSFW – unfortunately quite a bit of foul language to make his point, but you can see the failures here. DEFCON 19 http://youtu.be/vIJFQO4DIxw

More from the recent DEFCON 20, meat and potatoes starts around 19 minutes; little kid breaking in around 49:55. Yes, the kid was prepped a little, but any curious kid or determine teen won’t have any issue going this
route if they really want to get in. http://youtu.be/48HUctXZUNw

Defeat a Simplex lock http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2011/08/05/defcon-lockpickers-open-card-and-code-government-locks-in-seconds/2/

Someone else posted a great quote elsewhere: "Its a balance of convenience and security. The more security you want, the less convenience you will have. The more convenience you want, the less secure it will be. Choose wisely. "

Hope this is helpful to think about. No perfect answer that I’ve found.
i dont think he will just lay there in bed and let the little guy play with the safe.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...