Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns and kids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Guns and kids

I'm wondering what all you guys/girls with young kids do with your "night stand" gun. I've got a 17 month baby with another on the way. Up to now its been easy to keep the gun high enough and holstered and its been safe. I think its about time to find a new method though since the 17 month kid is getting pretty mobile and curious. I've thought about the finger print safe, but what other options are out there that allow quick access if needed?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Carry during the day. Once the kids are in bed get bedside gun our of safe. And be sure to put back first thing on the morning. Lock your bedroom door at night to prevent them from sneaking in in the middle of the night. They are surprisingly quiet and light on their feet.
Btw, don't let them see you open the safe, when mine was 3.5 or 4 he walked up to his daycare and punched in the code to get in, he saw me do it a few times and could do it by himself. The alarm code and the safe code was changed that evening.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I have one of these. It is on the floor next to my bed. My guns are always locked in there when they are not right with me. I leave nothing to chance, even thought my granddaughter knows never to touch a gun she sees.

http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Locks on doors and keys on your person, clock with hidden gun pocket inside. Or just get rid of the kids...

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
I have one of these. It is on the floor next to my bed. My guns are always locked in there when they are not right with me. I leave nothing to chance, even thought my granddaughter knows never to touch a gun she sees.

http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html
Same here right next to my bed on my nightstand. It works quickly has a key override and can be bolted down as well. I bought it with the Winchester brand and got a stupid deal on it. I must have paid about $50-$60 for it I don't recall.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Locks on doors and keys on your person, clock with hidden gun pocket inside. Or just get rid of the kids...
haha well done!!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 159

After much thought on this (I have a five year old), I went with a simplex lock safe for bedside. No keys to be found, no electronics to go bad and only takes a couple seconds to open. It wasn't cheap, mostly because I think only a few companies are making them at this point, but more than worth the money.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Dude...Im EXACTLY in your same position Kalboy! We need to compare notes....

My plan: take my holstered Glock 30 that sits loose on my night stand every night......move it to the mini safe on top shelf of my closet....unlocked....hidden by clothes. Still within 5 feet of me when I sleep and no way the baby could enter our room at night without me hearing, OR find a way to climb up my top closet shelf, OR know its there. Plus I never keep that gun with a round chambered.

I think thats a pretty bulletproof plan for now. Might change once the kids get older, but as of now thats like 5 layers in place that still make it easy for me to grab the gun in 3 seconds or less.

What do you think?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5142 Times on 2932 Posts
Likes Given: 4354

When mine was little, i kept my duty weapon on me until bedtime, then put it in a safebox in the closet.

My HD gun was in a lockbox beside the bed on my wife's side.

The last thing I did before crawling into bed at night was put my shotgun under the bed on my side. The first thing I did in the morning was put the shotgun back in the safe.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #10

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Until my kids were old enough to shoot with me i did not keep any loaded guns in the house. They were locked/hidden with ammo in a different area. Now that they shoot with me and demonstrate proper safety i keep mags loaded without worry.

*embarrassing story*
One time the wife was straightening upthe house and found where i stashed my loaded pistol. She mistook it for one of my sons' airsoft guns and i later found it on the shelf in my 9yo room. Sad thing is i am more comfortable with my youngest kid handling firearms than my wife...haha