Guns in a house fire....what should I do? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns in a house fire....what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976

I had a house fire that was.a total loss as well. This hapoened in 2008. I contacted the manufacturers, explained what happened, shipped ALL of them out and they took care of everything!! Most were ok, I only lost one in the end but I trashed all the ammo. Maybe you can contact them as well and see if they can help. Good luck the process is long and frustrating
So far I've contacted two manufactures:
Ruger- said to send them a picture, then go from there.
Taurus- (with their no questions asked warranty) said that a house fire voids the warranty and that they can't fix/replace it UNLESS I want to do it at my cost at which they would be happy to do the labor.
Next on the list is Kahr then probably call Remington.

Of all the ones you got taken care of, were any of yours by a manufacturer that I have to deal with? Did any charge you???

Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #32

Ruger said that normally they only cover manufacturing issues but they are sending me a pre paid shipping label (which is worth about $80 to a civilian) and that I can send it in to be checked out. Depending on the severity of the damages I may have to pay for some parts/replacement BUT its worth a shot. The wife said she wants another LCP regardless so I may as well have it fixed. Now to talk to Kahr and Remington.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #33

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

I am truly sorry for your loss. Not only in regards to your firearms, but in regards to your entire house. There is not much good that can come out of devastation like that.
I do highly recommend purchasing a gun safe in the future to help protect your firearms from Anything happening like this again.
Good luck in getting everything put back together from this!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #34

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I wonder just how many guns a manufacturer sees each year that has been in a fire. Can't be too many. If Taurus or any other manufacturer is or is not offering a no questions asked warrantee, (and to be fair they didn't ask any questions, LOL), you'd think they'd just fix any gun like this free of charge, and accept the good karma that could only come from doing it......

Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #35

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry for your loss.

BUT! A little perspective here.

You and your wife have a brand-new baby, and the three of you are fine.

The firearms are just stuff. Fix 'em or replace 'em, they're still just stuff.

Do what you can working with the manufacturers and insurance to come out as close to whole as you can, and move on.

Glad you're OK, and good luck going forward!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #36

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I wonder just how many guns a manufacturer sees each year that has been in a fire. Can't be too many. If Taurus or any other manufacturer is or is not offering a no questions asked warrantee, (and to be fair they didn't ask any questions, LOL), you'd think they'd just fix any gun like this free of charge, and accept the good karma that could only come from doing it......
I was told when I first started buying firearms not to get involved with taurus because they dont stand behind their product. I have no idea if there is any truth behind that, just what I was told. But with your experience with them, it sounds like it might be factual.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #37

Yea, Taurus claims to have a no questions asked warranty no matter how many owners the gun travels through. I understand them not wanting to replace it because of a house fire BUT I thought the same as you all....someone wanting to keep a good gun reputation would just handle it at no charge, especially when something devastating like this happens. Still haven't decided what to do with it yet. I already have a shipping label for the LCP and have to call Kahr back before I do anything else with it. I'm goin to buy a second LCP as soon as I find one tho. We both love ours.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #38

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry to hear about your experience with Taurus. I used them once for warranty work and although they were slow they did a good job on the gun at no cost. I agree with you on the LCP, have one also and it's an excellent carry weapon. Best of Luck.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #39
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmboy21
Yes my guns are covered, not sure how much $$$ but they're only about $2000 worth anyhow. The insurance isn't fighting me yet. They said to claim everything including my guns. They don't even want me to have them checked out. I just personally hold sentimental value to a couple and wanted to know the best thing to do.

PLUS it's not like the insurance will go buy me new guns....they'll write me a check for the contents of the house to do with as I please. I just know I'll need the money to buy stuff for a new house and new baby....not to spend on replacing all my guns right away. SO if I can save a couple to get me by I'd really like to. Know what I mean??? Lol. Thanks for the input this far.
My wife works for State Farm. Guns are restricted under loss due to theft, however fire is covered completely under the vast majority of their policies. If I had any question about any of them, claim them. You'll get depreciated value of the item up front. Say you had a$1000 colt. They may give you a $500 depreciated value check. When you go replace it, if you show you buy the same one for $1100 then they'd stroke you a check for $600 in difference. Now that is State Farm. Other companies probably have different policies. Hopefully you have one of the big 5 insurance companies and not one of the fly by night cheapos (no offense, but the big 5 take care of their customers whereas the cheapos will fight you every step of the way). If you have any further questions, my wife will be happy to try and answer them or tell you how to deal with it.

GP

Edit. I just read you have Allstate. They'll do you right when it's all said and done. You aren't in north GA are you?

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Last edited by GeneralPatton; 05-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.