Guns in a house fire....what should I do? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Guns in a house fire....what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Re: Fire damage- In GENERAL, if a wooden or plastic stock got hot enough to BURN, then you should have questions about whether the heat treat of the steel has been altered. Does not sound like that in this case.

Re: Insurance coverage- a Homowner's Policy usually DOES include coverage for firearms. HOWEVER- MOST will have a $$$ limit of coverage. Typically it is $2,000 for firearms AMMUNITION and ACCESORIES. However, you need to read YOUR policy in YOUR state.

If you are an NRA member, you also have a small amount of insurance free thru them that pays after any other insurance pays.

would have a smith check and clean the guns (get a receipt that says something like "cleaning smoke damage"- insurance company may want that.)

Would get ammo out of any wet cartons, spread, get a fan on it. if not submerged, is likely OK.

As much as I dislike WD-40, this is one of the few times I would use it- liberally. "WATER DISPLACING". It WILL get water out. Use it outdoors, keep it off your skin.

And unrelated advice- hold your lady close. We had a BAD homeowner's loss in 1989. Tornado. None of us hurt, took 5 months to rebuild house. That is a major stressor on all involved. Rebuilding is going to add more stress, shopping for replacement stuff, more stress yet.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Chainfire Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #12

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Your guns should be perfectly safe but will need to be completely stripped, cleaned, and lubed.
The very first metal thing that is damaged by heat are the springs and the easiest to check. They are either still springs or they are just wire.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 578 Times on 336 Posts
Likes Given: 179

If you have homeowners, it should cover replacement of your guns. Get new ones. I talked about this with my agent a couple of months ago. You should be good to go. Sorry for your loss. Good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I've found that things such as firarms,jewelry,art ect. need to be under a separate policy than your homeowners to insure proper replacement value.This can be expensive depending on the value of the insured items.Everytime I add a gun my damn rate goes up!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #15

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
I've found that things such as firarms,jewelry,art ect. need to be under a separate policy than your homeowners to insure proper replacement value.
This is kinda true. Your regular policy will cover a certain amount(like maybe $500 for jewelry) but a separate rider is needed if you have many guns or expensive jewelry.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

As I said- read YOUR policy. Even if you and I have the same company, polcies CAN be different. And while $2K may have been some serious money 20 years ago, it will not cover one high end AR, scope, half dozen mags, and 20 boxes of ammo in todays market.

MOST policies will allow you add a rider for additional $$. If you are a NRA member AND IF YOU ACTIVATED THE INSURANCE COVERAGE- you have $2,500 in coverage at no charge. You can buy more.

When all else fails, read the directions- or in this case, your policy. Not sure you understand it, call your agent.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #17
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

This would be a good time for everyone to understand why it is important to keep information about your firearms in a separate place.

That $3500 1911 you are so proud of could get replaced. If left to the choice of the insurance company, a RIA 1911 is a good replacement.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #18

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I cannot add to the knowledge as info had been well covered..bUT I am sincerely sorry to hear about your home being so badly damaged...at least you and your family are safe...the "stuff" can can be replaced!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Many homeowner policies include a limit such as $2,500 for loss due to theft. But this limit does not usually apply for a loss due to fire. You will most likely be covered for the full value of your loss up to the personal property limits of your policy. Of course , these same limits are for all of your personal property (including your firearms).

O.S.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #20

Yes my guns are covered, not sure how much $$$ but they're only about $2000 worth anyhow. The insurance isn't fighting me yet. They said to claim everything including my guns. They don't even want me to have them checked out. I just personally hold sentimental value to a couple and wanted to know the best thing to do.

PLUS it's not like the insurance will go buy me new guns....they'll write me a check for the contents of the house to do with as I please. I just know I'll need the money to buy stuff for a new house and new baby....not to spend on replacing all my guns right away. SO if I can save a couple to get me by I'd really like to. Know what I mean??? Lol. Thanks for the input this far.