Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Guns in a house fire....what should I do? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/guns-house-fire-what-should-i-do-88985/)

thefarmboy21 04-17-2013 01:46 PM

See next line

thefarmboy21 04-17-2013 01:47 PM

About 3 weeks ago our house caught on fire. It's basically considered a total loss because of the vast amount of damage, HOWEVER only one room was totally torched, the others the ceiling just burnt our from under the metal roof. Just lots of water and smoke damage. Here's the lineup and a short description of what happened to each:

1. Kahr CM9 (New, never fired) was on my night stand in a soft pocket holster beside my iPhone 4. Insulation fell on both and smothered them. As soon as the fire was out I found them....my iPhone was fairly dry and still worked and the rubber case wasn't melted at all. The pistol just has some smoke discoloration that has mostly wiped off. I'm saying this one is probably fine since my iPhone is also fine.

2. Ruger LCP with lazer (2 months old) Was in my wife's purse in the living room that got totally torched. The purse was fairly crumpled, but her wallet was ok'ish. Credit cards slightly wavy and cash was wet but fine. Pistol was in a holder, handle and butt plate on magazine were slightly melted on one corner. It was stiff to drop the mag, but it did release and the slide was a little stiff but I un-chambered the round in the barrel with just slight more effort than usual. Lazer acted shorted out..I think water got in it. It wouldn't turn off. The slide ad barrel now has some rust, so it did get somewhat hot. This one I'm iffy about

3. Taurus PT-99 Stainless. This was next to top shelf in closest on top of some clothes, right under all my ammo. Stainless and aluminum look fine. Rubber/plastic grips seem fine, but the trigger and hammer that were once black are all rust.

4. Remington 870 12ga. Was in bedroom corner beside nightstand. Firemen evidentially knocked it into the floor while coming through window. Was under wet insulation for several hours during the fire and as we hauled stuff out. It was hard to unload at first and we thought synthetic stock was melted, but now it seems to look fine and cycle fine. The blued barrel looks rough but not awful and the main body was the matte black/rough finish. It seems ok but what was once black now seems silvery and thin. Also all 5 00 Buck shells look fine....plastic hulls don't show any damage.

5. Old Stevens 87E .22 tube fed auto. In a corner behind my old Daisy BB gun, behind a door. This room was mostly smoke damaged. BB gun seems fine. The .22 looks rough, but it was super rusty before hand, so I'm not sure if it actually got damaged.

Then there's all my ammo that was completely soaked. It was in the top of our closest, next to to roof but none went off and the boxes aren't burnt, they just got wet.

So what's your advise? I think my Kahr is ok, but the others I'm uncertain about. The Ruger is definitely the worst of the bunch. Also my ammo....I had tons of NEW ammo that I scored cheap even through the big ammo shortage because I got lucky at Walmart a couple times after I got off my midnight shifts. I don't think I'll carry any of it, but I think I'll shoot it all after it dries out several weeks.

Thanks guys!!!!

winds-of-change 04-17-2013 01:50 PM

I can't offer you any advice but I do want to say I am so sorry this happened. What an awful personal loss.

BULLET9992 04-17-2013 01:58 PM

If your a member of the nra they may cover your guns.

Olympus 04-17-2013 02:57 PM

Honestly, I'm have the guns looked at by a good gunsmith to determine their integrity. You may have to spend a couple hundred dollars, but it would be worth it.

You might also try contacting each manufacturer and explain the situation and see if they will inspect the guns for you and replace necessary parts.

Fire/heat really changes the integrity of guns. I'd want a better judgement than just asking us average Joes on the interwebs.

okieboy 04-17-2013 03:07 PM

If you can field strip each gun. Rust on the integrals and water damage is a bad sign. Even check the kahr. I agree with taking them to a gunsmith. Heat may have weakened the metal and made them unsafe.

thefarmboy21 04-17-2013 03:51 PM

Unfortunately, my wife and I had not joined the NRA yet. We had never got around to signing up. I had decided we were going to join just a couple weeks prior to this after we both purchased new pistols. Wife had a baby, put things on hold, etc.... I told her we are joining now lol. Baby was only 10 days old :/

Anyway, my insurance said I could claim them. At first they wanted me to have them inspected by a gunsmith for appraisal purposes, but after the saw the house they said to claim everything that was inside. So I should get paid for them but I don't want to just toss them in the trash you know... I probably will take them to a gunsmith I I can find one local. I'm going to try and strip the Kahr and the 870 this week. Anyone have some good links to the instructions on how to detail strip each gun? Thanks guys.

Olympus 04-17-2013 04:12 PM

Honestly I'd let the gunsmith handle them all.

And I'd check with any local gunsmith to see what his level of expertise is related to fire damage. I have seen plenty of local smiths that I would not trust with anything other than small repairs. Find a good smith and don't skimp. Heaven forbid you lose a finger or two or have facial disfuguration due to a gun blowing up in your hand while shooting. Just depends on how much your fingers, hands, and/or face is worth to you.

danf_fl 04-17-2013 04:44 PM

Firearms may also be covered in your insurance policy.

purehavoc 04-17-2013 05:45 PM

^^^^^ This^^^^ Your guns should be covered under your policy as personal property and should indeed be covered