Is the gun you are about to buy, stolen? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the gun you are about to buy, stolen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
That's why they have such a low crime rate!!! I never put the two together.
Ya, sure. Tell the govener that

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16

Wello, I can bet that you know what I have to say about that. If you don't have the s/n to your gun and you report it stolen, its the same as reporting a drop of water that you lost in the river. Its not a stolen gun. I happen to keep a list of serial numbers to every all the guns I own locked up, just the same as if they were guns themselves. I also keep a list of serial numbers of anything that has a serial number in my house, in the same place. If I report anything that is stolen and is worth stealing I give all the info I can. I don't think I would even report anything if I did not have that info. It like, "911, i need to report a burglery and they stole my TV, all I know is its a TV please put out an APB". if it pawned there is nothing to compare it to so therefore its not stolen.

As I said though its an option or at least something that you can do that is easy, free, and conveniant without paying the $$ taking it to a police station, filling out paper work just to find you are going to get the gun taken from you and the money you spent gone at the bare minimum if you don't get arrested for "recieving stolen property". Just FYI.
I have a word document of everything I own with all the serials, it is in the fire face which is in my gun safe, where my guns have trigger safes. I like to be safe rather than sorry.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #13

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
I found this site just because I was curious to know. If I were wanting to purchase a firearm on a private FTF basis I would want to check just for my own personal best interest if the gun was stolen. If I were to be stopped and the police officer ran the s/n and it was I would be going to jail. Here is a web site that anyone can run a firearm serial number to find out.
http://www.hotgunz.com/search.php

I hope this comes in handy for someone.
Seems like a back door government portal to monitor which guns you own. How's that for a conspiracy? HaHa but in all seriousness, it is important to write down your markings, everyone of them, and take as many pictures as you can!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 02-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
Wello, I can bet that you know what I have to say about that. If you don't have the s/n to your gun and you report it stolen, its the same as reporting a drop of water that you lost in the river. Its not a stolen gun. I happen to keep a list of serial numbers to every all the guns I own locked up, just the same as if they were guns themselves. I also keep a list of serial numbers of anything that has a serial number in my house, in the same place. If I report anything that is stolen and is worth stealing I give all the info I can. I don't think I would even report anything if I did not have that info. It like, "911, i need to report a burglery and they stole my TV, all I know is its a TV please put out an APB". if it pawned there is nothing to compare it to so therefore its not stolen.

As I said though its an option or at least something that you can do that is easy, free, and conveniant without paying the $$ taking it to a police station, filling out paper work just to find you are going to get the gun taken from you and the money you spent gone at the bare minimum if you don't get arrested for "recieving stolen property". Just FYI.
Well no sh1t! I know that, I have mine written down with 3 copies, 1 in my gun safe, 1 in my fireproof documents cabinet, and a backup at my parents house in their fireproof documents cabinet. Not to mention I keep a digital record buried in the depths of my computer. I meant all the types that just ran out and bought something in the last three months. If I had a nickel for each one of them that didn't write down the numbers, I'd never have to work again.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Well no sh1t! I know that, I have mine written down with 3 copies, 1 in my gun safe, 1 in my fireproof documents cabinet, and a backup at my parents house in their fireproof documents cabinet. Not to mention I keep a digital record buried in the depths of my computer. I meant all the types that just ran out and bought something in the last three months. If I had a nickel for each one of them that didn't write down the numbers, I'd never have to work again.
I thought that was is the hangun safety certificate that they give you when you pass the test to buy a handgun.

1. Take the firearm home and read the manual.
2. take a picture of the fireram.
3.write down the serial numbers and store in a safe location. this is not nessessary to keep in the gun safe with the guns, infact it kind of defeats the purpose
4. Field strip the firearm
5. Clean all factory lubericant off the firearm.
6. Be sure the serial numbers are in a safe place you can access them if you need them quickly.
7. lube the firearm according to the manuals instructions.
8. don't shoot yourself in the foot because you did not read the manual.

I am not all that sure of the order these go in but I think I got mostr of them in there.

-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #16

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The whole Fairy Tale about tracing stolen guns is a fantasy. Firearms go thru dealers, pawn shops etc. everyday that are stolen. There are not enough people to monitor and track these stolen firearms.
How many owners of stolen firearms ever have them returned? Very often when they are found it is only after they are used in crime? Does anyone really believe any government run program really works?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The whole Fairy Tale about tracing stolen guns is a fantasy. Firearms go thru dealers, pawn shops etc. everyday that are stolen. There are not enough people to monitor and track these stolen firearms.
How many owners of stolen firearms ever have them returned? Very often when they are found it is only after they are used in crime? Does anyone really believe any government run program really works?
so you would not take the chance to take 2 seconds and run a serial # even if you came up with a gun that was stlon and had a unsolved murder on it. even if there was a chance in hell i would rather waste my time then get caught red handed with a murder weapon or waste my money and then get caught with a murder weapon. that is a little harder to talk you way out of then just " i bought a stolen gun"?

-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #18

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Tell me how do you run a check on your guns? The only way you can run a check is thru the BATF or your local police. If the gun comes up stolen NCIC check the police will confiscate to gun and you will have to prove where you got it.
Checking your numbers on a co-op web page is not likely very effective. By law if your gun comes up stolen you would have to surrender it to law enforcement.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #19
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Before you buy, check the numbers with a local police officer.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Tell me how do you run a check on your guns? The only way you can run a check is thru the BATF or your local police. If the gun comes up stolen NCIC check the police will confiscate to gun and you will have to prove where you got it.
Checking your numbers on a co-op web page is not likely very effective. By law if your gun comes up stolen you would have to surrender it to law enforcement.
Whatever, I ran my not stolen gun and it came up not stolen. This was just an avenue for you to use. if you don't want to use it because you think or know it is a POS website then just ignore it and move on. I really did not expect people to tell me that I am a dimrod for even thinking about the trying to help others out with something that is easy to use. The next time I find something cool and can help I will just keep it to myself or maybe share it with GeneralPatton that at least said "That's not a bad idea" and then followed up with the other stuff as to how it works. Please forgive me for trying to save you some cash, going to jail, or just sharing to be a nice guy. It won't happen again. Hope ya'lll get that whatever you have had you eye on for a few years and it breaks or gets seized, or just in some way just does not go good for you.

I guess the saying is correct, "No good deed goes un-punished".

Have a night.

-Me-