Is the gun you are about to buy, stolen?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is the gun you are about to buy, stolen?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Is the gun you are about to buy, stolen?

I found this site just because I was curious to know. If I were wanting to purchase a firearm on a private FTF basis I would want to check just for my own personal best interest if the gun was stolen. If I were to be stopped and the police officer ran the s/n and it was I would be going to jail. Here is a web site that anyone can run a firearm serial number to find out.
http://www.hotgunz.com/search.php

I hope this comes in handy for someone.

Why Would I Be Paranoid, I'm the One With The Gun.

"Just a man and his jug settling an old fued"
-Me-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

That's not a bad idea, however it has the same shortcoming as most sites like it for stolen property.....it works solely on user submitted numbers. If you report your firearm stolen to the police, it doesn't go on that site. You have to go to that site and enter the information, which is the only time it would show for anyone else searching it. Thing is, most folks file a police report and that's it. Very few actually make a concerted effort on sites like that one. There is one for Iphones as well. You wouldn't believe how many people don't even have the serial numbers of their stuff written down. Like, I need to report a stolen (insert whatever, say S&W .357 revolver) What's the serial number? Uh, I dunno it's on the gun.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
I need to report a stolen (insert whatever, say S&W .357 revolver) What's the serial number? Uh, I dunno it's on the gun.
Wello, I can bet that you know what I have to say about that. If you don't have the s/n to your gun and you report it stolen, its the same as reporting a drop of water that you lost in the river. Its not a stolen gun. I happen to keep a list of serial numbers to every all the guns I own locked up, just the same as if they were guns themselves. I also keep a list of serial numbers of anything that has a serial number in my house, in the same place. If I report anything that is stolen and is worth stealing I give all the info I can. I don't think I would even report anything if I did not have that info. It like, "911, i need to report a burglery and they stole my TV, all I know is its a TV please put out an APB". if it pawned there is nothing to compare it to so therefore its not stolen.

As I said though its an option or at least something that you can do that is easy, free, and conveniant without paying the $$ taking it to a police station, filling out paper work just to find you are going to get the gun taken from you and the money you spent gone at the bare minimum if you don't get arrested for "recieving stolen property". Just FYI.

-Me-

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 42

There is nothing wrong with that site or checking before you buy used. But as an LEO I can assure you it takes some people a long time to produce serial numbers (if they ever do) on stolen guns. I can also assure you that someone who purchases a used gun without criminal intent is not going to get arrested for receiving stolen property, but they may find themselves without a gun or the money they spent on it. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #5

exactly. I would not want to loose the money and the gun. I live in CA so I would not only go to jail, I'd get 15 years

-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector16 View Post
exactly. I would not want to loose the money and the gun. I live in CA so I would not only go to jail, I'd get 15 years
ALL gun sales in Kalifornistan are required to go through an FFL.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #7

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

I would think that if you dont make a nusience of yourself the local pd could check. I manage a hotel. Someone left a gun in a night stand. I called the pd and gave them the sn to be sure before I returned it. They were happy to help. I am not talking about a high volume buyer bothering them twice a week.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I know that. I have lived in KY and i have bought guns there. If I brought one back and got pulled over, they ran the s/n and if it was stolen I'd be in a heap of trouble.

-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am not talking about a high volume buyer bothering them twice a week.
Then you either have enough guns or not a big enough bank account. Either way you need to reconsider your position.

-Me-

Old 02-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #10

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

That's why they have such a low crime rate!!! I never put the two together.