Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > gun for wife???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
A woman only needs one gun. And her man has it
And when the woman is without the man? Women should simply start shooting more and get stronger deal with the recoil and learn to calm themselves.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #32

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My wife can. Anybody can. It has nothing to do with whether or not the person has more X or Y chromosomes.

Just gotta get out there and practice. A revolver is one of the best tools available for self defense on the market today. Personally, I'm into semi-autos, but the revolver wins on it's ease of use. Heck, if you practice enough, you can get your reloads just about as fast as a semi-auto pistol.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve86 View Post

hi i am new ot this forum and have had some gun experience in the past with hand guns i own an XD .40 my wife has expressed an interest in owning a gun of her own i am not sure of a revolver or semi auto and what size??? it will be used for target and defence when we leave town not really home defence we have mine for that... i have been told revolver because they are fool proof just load and shoot but you only get 6 rounds and no safty i really just dont know i need some helpfull sugestions...

thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve86 View Post
hey thanks guys for all your help we have been to some stores ant they all feel pretty much the same to her i mean they are all different i know but in the hand of some one unexperienced they are all "the same" ya know... i have offered her to go shooting and she has shot mine but only a few times but that is the only gun i have so she has nothing to compair it to so that it makes it hard i will check the local shooting range and see if they rent guns i never thought of that... thanks for your input and keep it coming....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
A woman who can't rack a slide needs a HUGE dog and a man by her side who has a gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
That's why you practice, practice, practice.
Okay, first off - Welcome to the Forum Steve86. This is a hot topic around these parts, so I hope you are not taken aback by some of the talk here.

First off, you one one weapon and your wife has shot it. Is she comfortable with it? Or is she not?

Now, if she is comfortable with it, there are a ton of semi's in that category alone that would be of use.

If she is NOT comfortable with it, then you need to take a step back and start with some real training. There is nothing wrong with a .22 to learn to shoot with. Everyone I teach to shoot, we start with a .22 because it's lightweight, it's easy to use and it's cheap to shoot so you can practice as the good Sgt has indicated above.

In a self defense situation, having a gun you are afraid of, or not prepared to use, is worse than not having a gun - because there is a good chance that weapon is going to get used against you.

Samples has a point about not being able to rack a slide. If you have a girly girl who is just plain afraid of getting her nails bit, you need to consider other options. Samples happens to be the closest thing to Sarah Connor I have seen in awhile, so she is understandably a little more hardcore when it comes to such things.

The benefits of a revolver are that it is easy to deal with and will probably never jam, unless it gets caught on your shirt or purse or something when trying to pull the trigger.

The trigger pull on a D/A revolver is very long, and when you get an adrenaline dump, it's going to have you shooting wide and high and off target.

Now, your "average" attacker isn't going to stick around and try to close the distance when someone is cranking off rounds from a revolved even if they AREN'T hitting, but the purpose behind a self defense weapon is to be able to defend one's self - not "scare away" someone.

I'm over 6 feet and around 240 pounds. If you shoot me with a .22, odds are good that you aren't going to put me down with one or two shots if I am really determined. Now, I have NO INTENTION of testing that theory for you, I am just saying.

The minimum caliber that I consider "safe" for personal defense is a 9mm round in 124gr or 135 gr hollow point. And in that category, there are a TON of female friendly guns out there....

Welcome to the forum again and hope we can help...

JD

Old 03-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But not with a .22 thats all there is to it. .357 sure .38 sure not a .22 (seriously hope i am not getting my threads confused ) sadly most women aren't that good you have to take that into consideration. I can shoot without an adrenaline rush, but I have seen women get such a rush that they are hitting 5 feet away from target with a perfectly accurate gun. With practice with a .22 you still don't stand a chance. especially if you hit once center mass and then he has time to pull out his .45 before you can take the second shot.

Not all of us are trophy hunters.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #35

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

One thing to maybe look at is the Ruger line of auto pistols. The slides are easy to operate, and they have the standard self-defense calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP). You could go with something like the Ruger LCP in .380, but remember those pistols require much more practice due to the short sight radius, and long trigger pull.

Just some other ideas.

P.S. Keep an eye on the new Ruger LCR (revolver). I don't have much details on this weapon yet, but if it's anything like the Ruger GP/SP series of revolvers, it'll be a great option.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My wife loves the 1911 platform, but the .45 ACP is a little too much for her. One of these days, I'm going to pick her up one in 9x19 or .38 Super.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
My wife loves the 1911 platform, but the .45 ACP is a little too much for her. One of these days, I'm going to pick her up one in 9x19.
That's what we got my gal and she loves it. Of course she went and put crappy pink grips on there, but what are you gonna do, at least she is shooting a quality piece.... LOL

Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
And when the woman is without the man? Women should simply start shooting more and get stronger deal with the recoil and learn to calm themselves.
I wasn't talking about those guns I was talking about THE GUN

Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #39

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This is starting to cross the line into pathetic territory.............

Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
This is starting to cross the line into pathetic territory.............
Seconded....