gun for wife???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > gun for wife???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gun for wife???

hi i am new ot this forum and have had some gun experience in the past with hand guns i own an XD .40 my wife has expressed an interest in owning a gun of her own i am not sure of a revolver or semi auto and what size??? it will be used for target and defence when we leave town not really home defence we have mine for that... i have been told revolver because they are fool proof just load and shoot but you only get 6 rounds and no safty i really just dont know i need some helpfull sugestions...

thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just don't fall into the trap that many men and women do with the "Oh, I really like that cute little gun." The smaller a gun, especially in a good defense chambering, the more likely I would be to consider it an expert's gun. There are a lot of women (and men too for that matter) out there carrying J-Frame Smith & Wesson snubbies that probably couldn't hit a man size target at double-arms length.

If she is expressing interest, discuss what you learn at the forum and then give her some input. You say it is going to be a road gun, but is she going to be carrying it concealed or is it going to be a car/motel room gun? If the gun is not going to be carried concealed, then you can look at some full size models, instead of the midsize models I recommend below.

I think a Glock 19, Smith M&P 9mm Compact, Walther PPS, or SIG P239 would all be excellent choices in autos. I like the 9mm because it has less recoil impulse and we're talking about midsize autos, but she will be able to shoot any standard defense caliber will a little familiarization.

In revolvers I think a used 3-inch Smith Model 13/65 or a Ruger SP101 would be good choices for a middleweight contender. The .327 Federal Magnum in the Ruger might be an interesting chambering to think about.

As far as having a safety, the best safety is the one between the ears. If she knows and follows standard safety rules I don't think Glock or a revolver will present to many issues. If you decide you do want a manual safety, Smith & Wesson is making the M&P with an optional thumb safety.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 02-19-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Gun for wife?

In the 1st place, you must decide if the gun is worth trading your wife for.

When starting women out on shooting, especially if there's ANY question of her being strong enough to reliably rack slide of an semi-auto WITHOUT STRAINING, i ALWAYS steer them toward a revolver. Just because she's able to SHOOT a semi-auto, DON'T mean she'd be able to reload, clear a jam, or clean her weapon. It drives me CRAZY when I see people making blanket recommendations for semi-autos without having any clue whether she would be able to rack the slide or not, whereas ALL women are able to operate a correctly sized revolver. And that's not even going into the K I S S principle of simpler is better on revolvers.

Also, with proper training, a well directed hit-or 6, is preferable to misses with semi-auto. If the revolver's double action pull weight is too great, it's ridiously simple to install a Wolff spring kit which will reduce it 30-40%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve86 View Post

hi i am new ot this forum and have had some gun experience in the past with hand guns i own an XD .40 my wife has expressed an interest in owning a gun of her own i am not sure of a revolver or semi auto and what size??? it will be used for target and defence when we leave town not really home defence we have mine for that... i have been told revolver because they are fool proof just load and shoot but you only get 6 rounds and no safty i really just dont know i need some helpfull sugestions...
thanks guys

Last edited by stalkingbear; 02-19-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: addition

Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
In the 1st place, you must decide if the gun is worth trading your wife for.

When starting women out on shooting, especially if there's ANY question of her being strong enough to reliably rack slide of an semi-auto WITHOUT STRAINING, i ALWAYS steer them toward a revolver. Just because she's able to SHOOT a semi-auto, DON'T mean she'd be able to reload, clear a jam, or clean her weapon. It drives me CRAZY when I see people making blanket recommendations for semi-autos without having any clue whether she would be able to rack the slide or not, whereas ALL women are able to operate a correctly sized revolver. And that's not even going into the K I S S principle of simpler is better on revolvers.

Also, with proper training, a well directed hit-or 6, is preferable to misses with semi-auto. If the revolver's double action pull weight is too great, it's ridiously simple to install a Wolff spring kit which will reduce it 30-40%.
Yea what bear said and:

Defender Lightweight Model 45 ACP - Auction: 9010814 (Ends 02/25/2009, 06:09:59 PST)

you both will love it!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Take her to a store that has a good sized stock of handguns. Have her hold as many as possible. She will find several that "feel" good. Armed with that information, go to a range and rent the top contenders. What feels good in the hand, may be a bugger to shoot well. Often times going toward the larger end of her "feel" scale will yield a much more shootable gun.

I would consider a .380 as a BARE minimum caliber with 9mm as the optimum pistol caliber for most females. .38 spl or better .357 mag for a revolver is great. Remember, she can shoot very light recoiling .38's in a .357 gun.

The .327 magnum is very new and (as yet) unproven, but still seems very interesting. Once again she would have the option of shooting lower power ammo (.32 short or long and .32 H&R magnum) through the .327. The .32 shorts, while more difficult to find, will have almost no recoil.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

That is a personal thing, she has to decide... after she try some grips, weights, and recoils... then she will tell you what like and dislike... my girlfriend have little hands, she want a Taurus PT111 Milenium Pro (in here we don't have such variety of U.S) but before she try a Taurus 605 snubby, Bersa .380 (15 and 8 shots), Glock 26, a Glock 25 (She like the bigger G25 too but you can't find those in U.S)

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Good question, Steve86.

I have been going thru this over the last couple of years. Wifey did not grow up around guns, and had never shot any until about 4 years ago, when I kinda nudged her into it. I let her shoot .410 shotgun. 1st shot, she handed it back and said "I don't know if I like it." I shot a few shells, and she decided to try again. I couldn't get it out of her hands after that. I let her shoot the .50 cal muzzleloader, she no likey. She would not even go close the 12 ga at that time. A couple of years later, she asked about shooting pistols. I let her fire the .45. It was all she could do to hold onto it. Like a champ, she ran 2 mags thru it and said, "A little much for me." I recently bought her a P32, something light and easy to handle so she can get used to firing a semi-auto. She loves it, but is a much better shot right now with .38 special revolver. She likes it, too. I told her the revolver was hers in the home. Yesterday she asked about CCW classes. I told her we can look into that, but we would also look for another revolver or good 9MM for her to carry. Yes, the P32 can do a bad guy in, but not a whole lot of knock down power.

Point is, she had to get out and shoot some to find out what she can handle.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Listen to Bear and Robo. Take her with you and have her try them out and hold them and feel them. Just because you like doesn't mean she will like it. Do you go and buy panties or bra's for your wife? I sure know I have no clue what she like. I know what I like but that is a different story.

Make it her gun if she wants a pink taraus then get her that. If she wants a commander size 1911 in 45acp and can do everything she needs to do with it then get her that.

Revolvers are simple teacher her to keep her finger off the trigger untill ready to shoot and she will be ok.

Another thing sign her up for some one on one lessons from a NRA qualified shooting instructor. Don't be the manly man and try to teacher her and then end up ruiening it for her. Find a few ladies you and her know that shoot and have them take her to the range for a GIRLS ONLY shoting session.

And last but not least MAKE IT FUN FOR HER.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 AM   #9

hey thanks guys for all your help we have been to some stores ant they all feel pretty much the same to her i mean they are all different i know but in the hand of some one unexperienced they are all "the same" ya know... i have offered her to go shooting and she has shot mine but only a few times but that is the only gun i have so she has nothing to compair it to so that it makes it hard i will check the local shooting range and see if they rent guns i never thought of that... thanks for your input and keep it coming....

Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have carried for many years so I know what I think is best. My girlfiend didn't grow up with firearms and over the years I've tried to get her use to them so she would carry. She would go to the range with me but she was disintrested and a bit frustrated with my trying to teach her to shoot.

For Christmas she gave me a Glock 27 (I'm not a Glock fan) so I expected she bought what looked like something I would like. The next gift was her certificate of training at the range I'm a member at, the next gift was her membership card to the range and the final gift was her CPL.

She took the time to get training, then got a membership and practiced, bought a pistol that fit her/she could shoot well and got her license to carry it. In a sense what I got for Christmas was more confidant girlfriend with the ability to protect herself. The best gift ever (as long as I don't piss her off). Now we go to the range and enjoy it.

Looking back the best advise would be to take your wife to a range that rents, trains and sells firearms. Have your wife go through a training course and let her find the right pistol for her.