Gun Trade Dilemma
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Trade Dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Gun Trade Dilemma

I'm in a bit of a pickle on whether or not to trade one or my guns. My LGS has a Sig Traditional Match Elite in and this gun has been on top of my want list for a long time. Problem is I'm gun rich and cash poor at the moment. I'm debating on taking one of my guns to see if they would be interested in trading.

I'm thinking about trading my High Standard Supermatic Trophy. The gun is 99% condition with box, paperwork, barrel weights, and compensator. It is a fine example of an old quality target 22. I have other High Standards that I shoot and this one has always been a safe queen. Can't decide if I should trade this on a very nice 1911 that I wouldn't be afraid to shoot or if I should keep my classic High Standard and pass on the Sig until I have the cash. Which could be a while.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #2

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Just my $.02.

I would go for the trade if you're confident you'll get a good value for it.

1 - 1911 on your top to have list
2 - how often is one available especially close to home?
3 - safe queens are not worth having unless its an uber rare collection piece
4 - get it so I can live vicariously through you!

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

I don't know what they'd be willing to give me for trade. Technically it's worth about $100 more than the Sig. I'm just having reservations because the High Standard is something that most people will never own. It's from a time when quality and finish were not skimped on to save money. And there is only so many of these guns left and they will never be made again. It's hard to decide on whether I should trade that or not.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Looking at it from the LGS's pov...is the .22 a gun that he is likely to be able to move? If so he'll probably offer you a good (for him) price. Remember gun dealers are like car dealers....they look at every deal in terms of maximizing their own profits. A gun that he'll put up for sale at $1000 he'll probably give $500-$700 for. The higher end of that range being paid for a gun that he knows to be in high demand that he can turn quickly.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 761 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 274

I see where you're coming from there. That's a tough one for sure. I can relate.

I've got some amazing pieces of art and furniture that I've managed to get my hands on over the years. There are a few that I never thought I'd part with. However, I realized that while those pieces are incredible and getting ever harder to find, but I'm having a really hard time enjoying them. I've had to put away a few furniture pieces just so they wouldn't get used by the kids. Couldn't stand seeing them even sitting on the chairs! Now we are looking to move soon, there are things we want and need, and there's always a need for more money these days. So why not pass those items on to new owners who can enjoy them? In the end it just makes sense to do just that. You can always have the fact you owned it at one time and not very many people can say that.

dhcustomwork.com
/ dhcustomwork@gmail.com

Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Well never mind fellas. I took the gun to the LGS over my lunch break just to get an idea on trade. The offer was ridiculously low and I said no thanks.

On a side note, I don't know how LGSs can afford to keep their doors open. Consider that Buds pricing, free shipping, no sales tax, and a $15 transfer fee can almost always beat the LGS pricing for the same gun by $50-$75, sometimes even more. Then add the fact that a shop wants to lowball you on trades to the point of almost being insulted. I really don't know how places like that can afford to stay in business.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
I don't know what they'd be willing to give me for trade. Technically it's worth about $100 more than the Sig. I'm just having reservations because the High Standard is something that most people will never own. It's from a time when quality and finish were not skimped on to save money. And there is only so many of these guns left and they will never be made again. It's hard to decide on whether I should trade that or not.
He's making money on the Sig, so it costs him less than the marked price (duh), so if you think your .22 is worth $100 more than the Sig, that's on the retail price not wholesale cost. He has to buy it from you and be able to mark it up and make a profit, I see him offering you about 60% of the value you think the gun is worth to go towards the purchase of the Sig.

Truth be told, you'd be best served putting the Sig on layaway (if the LGS would do that) and selling the High Standard privately (gunbroker or a similar site) this way at least you can maximize what you get for your gun and he can hold the Sig until you can sell the HS.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Don't do it. Take another one of your guns that's fairly common on the market, or at least easier for you to replace, and trade that plus cash. Or just save up.

I think you'll seriously regret it.

Never mind, just read your last post. Honestly, I'm glad he insulted you. I never like to see a man wishing he could kick himself, which is what I think you'd be doing later.

Either the LGS was being a pecker, or he felt it was just another run of the mill .22 auto he'd never heard of.

Last edited by trip286; 08-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #9

Thanks Trip. I think I've come to that same conclusion. I got it home and wiped all the fingerprints off and forgot how cool the gun is. And you're right, I probably would have regretted trading or selling it. I guess I just got caught up for my lust with the Sig. First one I've ever seen outside of forum pictures of someone else's gun. I just need to cool my jets.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

The only LGS that does a $15 transfer is 2.5 hours away. The close ones all charge $50, so that pretty much eats up your online savings. I'm lucky to have a LGS that is pretty fair on prices and is fair on reloading supplies. They are busy all the time, the only issue is the people that work there are kinda on the grumpy side, but I understand all the dumb ass's they deal with day in and day probably gets to them.