gun recommendation needed - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > gun recommendation needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Another vote for the .357 revolver. My fiancee isn't too gun crazy but does go with me to shoot all my handguns (as a kind gesture lol).

My nightstand gun is a Ruger SP101 with hogue grips. This is primarily because the lady feels comfortable with it and I know if she has to use it she is well-versed with its feel, recoil, loading, and unloading.

Definitely take her with you when you do the shopping and happy hunting.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What about another vote for the .357/.38 revolver BUT with a 4 or 6 inch barrel to help tame the recoil/flash for the wife. It's not the barrel that will make a handgun hard to hide; it's the grip and girth. The extra barrel length would also give you a better chance of hitting your target, especially if this isn't going to be a weapon you regularly train with (though i think you should put it to use as much as possible).

I have really enjoyed my Ruger GP100 revolver in .357/.38. It is a joy to plink with at "the range" and would be fairly intimidating from the wrong end. As for stopping power, bullets aren't brakes, but i think a .38 to the chest would make me reconsider my motivations.

Last edited by orangello; 10-15-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

ForestWalker, I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I would hate to see you make such a personal decision based on recommendations from other people, even me! I'm 6'4", 230 lbs, wife is 5'4" and we both hate .357/38.

The first time I took "The Little Woman" shooting, we went to an indoor range and started renting guns and went to town! .22 revolver, .22 semi-auto, .25 auto, .380 auto, .38, .357mag, 10mm, .40, .41mag, .44mag...and she was unimpressed with all of them. She had no negative reaction to the muzzle flash, recoil, weight...nothing. Then she picked up the Para-Ordnance P-14 .45 and fired: *BOOM*...and a smile creeped across her face. She tripped that trigger three more times. "I like this" she whispered as the smile got bigger.

And nothing has changed in 22 years. Her HD gun is a Glock 21 in .45 with a Streamlight M6 light/laser combo on the rail. However, I would've never found this out had I gone out an bought her a good "girl gun" that "she could handle."

But the same is true for you as well. You may hate .357 as a caliber and revolvers as much as I do and it's important to find out what you like to shoot and shoot well. The failure rate is so small in modern firearms that the revolver/semi-auto argument is moot in trained shooters so that you should choose the firearm/caliber combination with which you feel most comfortable.

Personally, I like to carry a lot of ammunition and don't like reloading every six rounds, so that weighs into my decision, but after a day on the range with your wife and a week of discussion, you will both have a much clearer view of what you want, but more importantly, you will know why. You don't let anyone else choose your underwear, don't let them choose the tool you bet your life on!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #24

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

If you are only going to fire the hand gun once or twice a year, you might want to invest in an electronic home security sytem instead. To be more of a danger to a bad guy, then to yourself and your family, you need to shoot a lot more than that.

Guns aren't magic; the mere posession of one does not innoculate you from desperate felons; nor does ownership make you a gunfighter, any more than buying a pair of boxing gloves qualifies you for a heavyweight fight. You need to practice enough to operate the gun, effectively and safely, in your sleep. You probably won't be fully awake when the front door crashes in.

That said, if you are willing to invest in even minimal training and practice you can build something more than false security. Almost anywhere you live, there are firerarm instructors that can help you gain the experience to become proficent with a firearm. Seek the training first and you can also make a much better decision as to what firearm to select. You will find all sorts of reccomendations on the gun forums, but there is nothing that can better help you decide what is right for you then to shoot a variety of weapons.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #25

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I'm thinking a comact frame 9 mm. Something like a Glock 19, XD or similar.
1. Idiot proof and fast going from safely stored to fire ready. No gun is idiot proof, but a glock or similar comes close.
2. Reliable, sure to fire. Yes
3. Low maintenance - will likely be fired no more than 1 or 2 times per year. Depending on proper storage, yes.
4. Small (easily concealable) but possessing at least a moderate intimidation factor. You don't want it too small because of reason 6.
5. Adequate stopping power. Depending on ones definition of stopping power, it should be fine. 9 mm takes a lot of crap, but I've yet to see a volunteer for getting shot by one.

6. Can be handled by the wife as well. Don't know your wife, but with practice a compact polymer should't prove too difficult for most women with fully functioning hands and arms. Not trying seem like a smart@$$, my wife is very recoil sensitive due to multiple surgeries.

7. Not outrageously expensive. Consider used/police trade-ins. You'll save a bit of money. New: $450 to $600 depending on your choices.

IMHO, if you are going to go through the trouble purchasing a SD handgun, consider practicing more that "once or twice a year." I feel like a shirker if I don't shoot my carry guns at least once per month.
If you need it, proficency may be the difference that saves your life.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #26

The gun your are looking for is a Sig 239 in 9mm. Never has to be cocked and locked, has a decoker so there is no need to hold the hammer and pull the trigger to go back to DA mode, Easy to conceal and the wife can easily hold the gun as it is a single stack magazine and the 9mm will not scare her off (my wife hated the .38 as the flash and kick startled her, the 9mm she kicks butt with.), easy to clean and you won't have to try and remember any little pieces and where they go. Best thing of all is if you figure out that the gun costs $650.00 and will last easily 100 years. That is only 2 pennies a day to own.

Enjoy!

- Craig

Old 10-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #27

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
I'd suggest a Glock 19 9mm. There is no safety. It's very reliable. It's moderately sized for concealment. It has good capacity. 9mm is effective enough for home defense and cheap enough to let you stock up on ammo and practice without breaking the bank. I'd keep it loaded with some good hollow point +P ammo after you make sure your gun will cycle it reliably.

Edit: I forgot that you have a 10 round limit on magazines. G19 is still a good choice, but there may be a smaller 9mm that will just hold 10 rounds and fit your needs just as well. My Kahr CW-9 holds 7+1. It's my every day carry. There are dozens of options in 9mm alone.

After renting a few and deciding on a caliber, research your options on that caliber and rent some in just that caliber to compare. Maybe you can find a local gun club or gun forum meet and greet and try out their guns and get advice in person.
If I only had one handgun for multiple duties the G19 would be my choice. The size is a good compromise and the gun is simple and reliable to use. I keep a G17 next to the bed and a G26/CBST on me when possible.

http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8

Old 10-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If you are only going to fire the hand gun once or twice a year, you might want to invest in an electronic home security sytem instead. To be more of a danger to a bad guy, then to yourself and your family, you need to shoot a lot more than that.

Guns aren't magic; the mere posession of one does not innoculate you from desperate felons; nor does ownership make you a gunfighter, any more than buying a pair of boxing gloves qualifies you for a heavyweight fight. You need to practice enough to operate the gun, effectively and safely, in your sleep. You probably won't be fully awake when the front door crashes in.

That said, if you are willing to invest in even minimal training and practice you can build something more than false security. Almost anywhere you live, there are firerarm instructors that can help you gain the experience to become proficent with a firearm. Seek the training first and you can also make a much better decision as to what firearm to select. You will find all sorts of reccomendations on the gun forums, but there is nothing that can better help you decide what is right for you then to shoot a variety of weapons.
i going to jump in here, chainfire is right on point and i agrre with him 100% on this. if you only plan on shooting 1 or 2 times a year, then you are more of a danger to your loved ones than a BG. purchasing and owning a firearm is a huge commitment and responsibility. whether you purchase a shotgun or pistol, you need to practice with it on a regular basis, and also your wife needs to do the same. go to some gunstores or ranges, shoot many different types of firearms until you find something that suits you and the wife, then buy it, practice with it, then practice some more. because if you are not willing to make this level of commitment, then you would be better served in purchasing a good security system.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #29

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i going to jump in here, chainfire is right on point and i agrre with him 100% on this. if you only plan on shooting 1 or 2 times a year, then you are more of a danger to your loved ones than a BG. purchasing and owning a firearm is a huge commitment and responsibility. whether you purchase a shotgun or pistol, you need to practice with it on a regular basis, and also your wife needs to do the same. go to some gunstores or ranges, shoot many different types of firearms until you find something that suits you and the wife, then buy it, practice with it, then practice some more. because if you are not willing to make this level of commitment, then you would be better served in purchasing a good security system.
+1 guys. A gun is a tool and if you don't have a use for/intend to use it, DON'T buy one!

From the Guru;
“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Col. Jeff Cooper

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestwalker View Post
The wife's no amazon but is tough and competent.
My wife is 5ft 4 and 120lbs. She easily handles her Ruger SP101 with 38 spls.
For antimidation, get a Crimson Trace laser grip. Actually seeing the point of impact on your chest has got to scare the Bejesus out of a guy.