Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   gun recommendation needed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/gun-recommendation-needed-49595/)

forestwalker 10-10-2011 03:28 PM

gun recommendation needed

Need some help guys selecting a gun.

Just looking for a handgun for home defense and to have on hand for any SHTF situation (particularly post-earthquake). I've been around and fired plenty of firearms but never owned one and probably don't know enough not to be taken by a dealer so would appreciate your recs.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Idiot proof and fast going from safely stored to fire ready

2. Reliable, sure to fire

3. Low maintenance - will likely be fired no more than 1 or 2 times per year

4. Small (easily concealable) but possessing at least a moderate intimidation factor

5. Adequate stopping power

6. Can be handled by the wife as well

7. Not outrageously expensive

Thanks!

BenLuby 10-10-2011 03:35 PM

Why a handgun? If you're looking for something strictly for home defense, get a pump action 12 gauge. It's about as idiot proof as you can get, and the wife can easily handle it, without shooting a ton of rounds. (Still need practice.)

Soliferrum 10-10-2011 03:37 PM

number 6 is a problem. unless you have an amazon woman like mine. if not, dont go over 9mm or 40. but if you just want a piece with low maintenance that you are not going to use at all ever but just want to have one, look into revolvers. a good closed action snub nose fits all of those.

ahole 10-10-2011 03:39 PM

get a 357 mag revolver. dont was your time with a cheap one under 200 get a decent one use for a round 400. a dan wesson, ruger, s&w, or tarrus.

Marthor 10-10-2011 03:40 PM

I think the best fit for all your desires is the Ruger LCR 357.
RugerŽ LCRŽ Double-Action Revolver Models

The only contradiction on your list is you want good stopping power, but something your wife can handle too. If 357 Magnum is too much for her, the LCR 357 can fire 38 special too!

forestwalker 10-10-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 598065)
Why a handgun? If you're looking for something strictly for home defense, get a pump action 12 gauge. It's about as idiot proof as you can get, and the wife can easily handle it, without shooting a ton of rounds. (Still need practice.)

Post-earthquake there's a good chance we'd be on the streets. Slinging a shotgun would draw way too much attention.

danf_fl 10-10-2011 03:40 PM

A .357 Mag revolver would be my first choice to meet the criteria listed.

Boyerracing343 10-10-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahole (Post 598074)
get a 357 mag revolver. dont was your time with a cheap one under 200 get a decent one use for a round 400. a dan wesson, ruger, s&w, or tarrus.

I don't think a 357 would be considered user friendly for a wife who may not have a very detailed history with shooting, but this varies dramatically. I have seen rather small women handle a 357 with no issues and be deadly accurate with them. :D

Personally your best bet is to try out a bunch of different options. Do you have a local range near by that you can rent firearms for a reasonable price so you can get some hands on activity before you fork out the cash to make a purchase that you may not be happy with?

I will add a 12gauge pump as stated above is very easy for anyone to use.Only down size is recoil for your wife may be an issue but this depends. My old lady shoots my semi auto, pump, over and under 12 gauges no problem when trap shooting. She is far from a big. 5'9'' 110 pounds. At first she thought the recoil was a little rough but I don't hear a word out of her unless we blast around 150+ rounds in a afternoon.

Good luck with your purchase. Sorry I couldn't help you very much.

forestwalker 10-10-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliferrum (Post 598069)
number 6 is a problem. unless you have an amazon woman like mine. if not, dont go over 9mm or 40. but if you just want a piece with low maintenance that you are not going to use at all ever but just want to have one, look into revolvers. a good closed action snub nose fits all of those.

The wife's no amazon but is tough and competent.

c3shooter 10-10-2011 04:07 PM

.357 Mag revolver. You can step down a notch to .38 Special if you need to. The .327 Magnum is also a possible- ammo is not as plentiful/cheap as .38/.357, but may be more "user friendly" for your wife.