Gun Range Business - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Range Business

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for the info everyone. It gives me a lot to think about - I didn't consider the EPS stuff. That probable be the biggest challenge. Libtards!

Old 02-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A local gun store decided to move to a new location a couple of years ago, as they had outgrown their present location. In doing so, the owners decided that as long as they were expanding, they wanted to obtain enough space to start an indoor range, for the the reasons already mentioned here. They obtained an existing building large enough to contain both the range and their retail business. They submitted building permits to the city and went through all the studies and other things they needed. They ordered all the range equipment and prepared to begin construction. Then one day, it seems that the local community in the area went to the city and posted objections to having a shooting range in the area. In addition to the usual safety concerns, the locals felt that a shooting range would attract an "undesirable element" to the area. The city then attempted to revoke the building permit on the grounds that "We didn't really understand what you wanted to build here". After a long and painful fight, they eventually did open the range. Almost 2 years and many dollars later.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reminds me of what occurred in Tampa years ago. I may not have all of the story totally (memory is the first to go), but Tampa used to have an outdoor range the “Tampa Police Pistol Range” in fact it was the only thing on this particular piece of property and they named the road “Pistol Range Road” (it is still named that). It was there for decades. I shot there for decades. They held the mid-winter National Pistol Championship there. Then someone complained that a “stray” bullet had hit their house some distance away. The range spent thousands in putting up new baffles to avoid any further alleged stray bullets from leaving the range. Then some developers bought the land behind the burm and baffles. They built medium to low priced housing on it and it sold almost overnight. Now you would have to be deaf, blind, and stupid not to realize that there was a shooting range next door to the house you were buying but that is exactly what seemed to occur. The residents complained that a range next to their houses was a safety risk, that they did not realize it was there or they would not have bought there. Long story short, the range closed after years of service to the public and the police because they could not afford the changes that would be mandated to satisfy the county officials (all elected politicians) or the constant costs of lawyers to defend their existence that far preceded the home owners.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Last edited by alxltd1; 02-15-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #14

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxltd1 View Post
Reminds me of what occurred in Tampa years ago. I may not have all of the story totally (memory is the first to go), but Tampa used to have an outdoor range the “Tampa Police Pistol Range” in fact it was the only thing on this particular piece of property and they named the road “Pistol Range Road” (it is still named that). It was there for decades. I shot there for decades. They held the mid-winter National Pistol Championship there. Then someone complained that a “stray” bullet had hit their house some distance away. The range spent thousands in putting up new baffles to avoid any further alleged stray bullets from leaving the range. Then some developers bought the land behind the burm and baffles. They built medium to low priced housing on it and it sold almost overnight. Now you would have to deaf, blind, and stupid not to realize that there was a shooting range next door to the house you were buying but that is exactly what seemed to occur. The residents complained that a range next to their houses was a safety risk, that they did not realize it was there or they would not have bought there. Long story short, the range closed after years of service to the public and the police because they could not afford the changes that would be mandated to satisfy the county officials (all elected politicians) or the constant costs of lawyers to defend their existence that far preceded the home owners.
What a shame. I'll be in Tampa next month; where is a good range in the area? I'll actually be up north in Lutz, but I'm looking to do a little shooting while I'm in town.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

To anyone looking to develop/ open a shooting range- contact the NRA. They have a section that deals with nothing but firing ranges, and can help guide you thru the pitfalls.

Ummm.......... you ARE a member, right?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2125 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I know a developer that had a project ready to build (not a range) when a local HOA voiced objections and tried to get his permits revoked. He sued the HOA naming all members for costs and damages due to the delay. The HOA dropped their opposition. His position was counter attack and hit their wallets hard.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
What a shame. I'll be in Tampa next month; where is a good range in the area? I'll actually be up north in Lutz, but I'm looking to do a little shooting while I'm in town.
There are a number of indoor ranges (Shoot Straight of Tampa on HWY 301 close to the Fairgrounds, Shooting Sports of Tampa on North Dale Mabry, and others) some more expensive than others. All have Web sites with prices and hours. There is still an outdoor range in St.Petersburg, Wyoming Antelope Club, but I have not been there in a couple of years.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine