Gun Range Business
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Range Business

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Range Business

I have been to ranges lately and seen how crowded they are. Saturday I was at a range witha 2 hour wait and they told me that is standard Fri, Sat and Sun and the weekday nights are packed.

I have been looking to start my own business and this seems an excellent climate and business opp. Does anyone know how hard it is to start a new range?

FYI - I am in the crap state of IL so I am sure I will have more of an uphill climb than other places.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #2

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Sounds like you were at Rink's lol. There is always a wait there, but it is priced right and I like the folks that own and run the place.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
Sounds like you were at Rink's lol. There is always a wait there, but it is priced right and I like the folks that own and run the place.
Actually I was at Article II in Lombard. I also have been at GAT Guns in Dundee with those huge waits. Where is Rinks?

Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
I have been to ranges lately and seen how crowded they are. Saturday I was at a range witha 2 hour wait and they told me that is standard Fri, Sat and Sun and the weekday nights are packed.

I have been looking to start my own business and this seems an excellent climate and business opp. Does anyone know how hard it is to start a new range?

FYI - I am in the crap state of IL so I am sure I will have more of an uphill climb than other places.
It's not impossible but it is expensive. I wanted to do a range myself in my area however if you are looking a converting an existing building you are looking at 1-2 million needed. And the insurance is no joke either.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I personally know someone that did try near here. Unfortunately, due to BS from one person at a final municipal permit hearing, it went sideways and never transpired in the end. Major shame.

From what he told me, and I'm assuming you want to do an indoor one, you need to find property, get an environmental study for EPA due to lead exposure, look into air filtering systems, insurance, building issues from architect to construction, permitting which may be your hardest nut to crack, from EPA to local and state permits, local zoning issues must be satisfied, etc., etc., etc.

There's mucho involved, more so or less so based on state and locale. You also need to have the financial backing, which will need to be considerable to cover building, cost overruns, and expenses to cover several months after opening up until the business makes a profit to start. It would be likely necessary to have someone involved, a principal in the business, with an FFL as you'll need to sell ammo and might want to branch out to make things more potentially profitable.

Yeah, it's not as simple as just finding a building, setting up target stands and a backstop, getting some insurance, stocking ammo and opening the doors any more. It's a regulated industry.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #6

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
Actually I was at Article II in Lombard. I also have been at GAT Guns in Dundee with those huge waits. Where is Rinks?
Yea it can busy at Article II. I've waited an hour or two there as well. Rink's is on Archer in Lockport, right off 355. It is an older place, and the range is no where near as nice as Article II, but it's only $9 to shoot and no time limit. I go to Article II when I want to shoot black powder. The guy working the range told me they spent $80,000 on the ventilation system there.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

As already stated, I'm sure there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get a gun range started. One thing that may help is to get out away from the city, especially if you live in one of the "liberal meccas' because they are going to fight you & stall all they can, even though you may live in a gun friendly state. The further away, the better, but take into consideration how far people may want to drive to get there.

Another thing might be to check into the possibility of an NRA sponsored range. I don't know anything about how involved they get as far as the financial part or legal help, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #8

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Insurance and EPA regs are enough to keep most people from taking on a project like that. I hope it works out for you of you decide to do it though. Can't have too many gun ranges!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

Likes Given: 1

thank god i live in CO lol

Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Guess I'm lucky I can shoot in the back yard.

I also belong to a private sportsmen's club. This is a good safe place to shoot with lots of great amenities.