Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Dear forum friends. Cane had an unfortunate gun cleaning accident while Jon was in the room. Let's all bow our heads in a moment of silent remembrance of our departed and beloved moderator. Any of you who would like to say a few kind words about Jon, please feel free to do so.
some things are harder to forgive than others....

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #22

I have found I don't really like the way that glocks feel in my hand. The 1 S&W I was able to handle did not feel right either, but the springfield XD felt nice and .... firm in my hand. Sorry if that sounds ..... bad. It is the only way I can describe it. I was not able to fire any of the weapons. I can say that a Hi-point 9mm I shot several years ago was not comfortable, and I don't think it had the reliability I'm looking for. I really want to try a sig.

The more I look at revolvers the more I like them for reliable simple weapons. I hope to get one for my mother at some point. A simple weapon that isn't complicated, not SA or autoloaders are but she it technically challenged. I may have misused the term SA (semi-auto) and autoloader. I know that they are not used correctly by the public at large.

As far as my budget goes I am saving up, but with a budget of $48.00 a month it may take a while. I just redid my budget today and was disappointed to be able to save so little each month. As far as what I want to spend. I don't mind spend money on or saving up for quality, but I don't spend money on bling. If a reliable weapon has bling then great, but my first concern with anything is quality, not bling, status, or having more that the jones.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #23

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

SA usually means Single Action. Semi Auto and Auto Loader is the same thing.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default FNP 40 as a ccw weapon

I like the FNP line. If you get an in waist band holster such as the crossbreed model (I had a contact make one up for me here in Las Vegas)..the gun is concealed quite well. I was actually very impressed at how well it is concealed when worn in this type of holster.

Why Fn? Well..I have put 3000 rounds through the gun without even a single malfunction.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #25

Liked 2408 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

Concealment is my least concern.

I range shoot primarily, and refuse to

cater to criminals by reducing my

range effectiveness so I can protect myself from them.

So my CCW paradigm is a little skewed. I carry full

sized, if BGs don't like it, they can just go endanger

someone else.

That said, I would say consider 1911s, Glocks(for the newcomers), or

Beretta 9mms...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #26

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

NOTE: To anyone looking for a Concealed Carry Weapon,
[*]You want a 9mm CCW with follow-up capability superior to all? (Gun weight is your friend....GO STEEL!)[*]You want a 9mm CCW you can carry in Condition 1? (That heartbeat needed to chamber a round may be your last!)[*]You want a 9mm CCW you can trust your life to?[*]You want a CCW with longevity/reliability/respect that is only exceeded by the storied 1911?[*]You want a CCW with with John Moses Browning genes? (The man that understood and designed with ergonomics before they coined the term!)

Then look no further than the Browning Hi-Power.

"However its a decent reliable gun if you dont mind the square grip and mag safety and low for a 9mm capacity."

O RLY?

Jon, you think the BHP has a square grip?

Hiding the "self-pointing" 1911.

The "feels natural in my hand" 1911 hiding the "square grip" BHP.

They look very similar. I wonder why?

** clears throat ** - John Browning - ** clears throat **

"However its a decent reliable gun if you dont mind the square grip and mag safety and low for a 9mm capacity."

What mag safety? Fortunately it is simple to remove.

15+1=16 How many do you need Jon?
Lol! Very nice.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #27

Liked 2408 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

I never met a P35 I didn't like...

Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #28

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

First off I don't know what model designations to give them, but I would look to the 1911 for anything in the future if repairs/customizations are needed. It seems that everybody looks to the 1911 for it's inspiration and virtually any part out there will interchange and fit from all years(at least it seems to), whether it comes from Springfield, Browning, Colt, Norenko, Rock Island Armory, and others. I really like this gun in that it hasn't changed in basic design for almost 100yrs, other than Manufacturer's making a compact design or playing with barrel lengths. Great pistols, no matter what Manufacturer you go with.
Next choice would be Bersa. They come from Argentina, but they're all metal and fit the hand well, with good size for concealment and easier on recoil than a lot of guns their size. Magazine limitations may be a concern if you need high capacity though. If magazine concern is utmost importance, then it would be a Sig Sauer.
I don't like Glocks, but that's just me.
If you're looking for just something cheap but actually reliable, then I would look to Hi-Point. Lots of people don't like them, but they work when you find the ammo that the gun likes.
Biggest criteria in getting a gun, is how that well that gun fits your hands, because remember you need to live with it, and it just might be the last gun you want to purchase, so choose carefully.
Del