Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Gun Quality (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/gun-quality-59079/)

Ramlatus 02-29-2012 11:01 AM

Gun Quality

Hello I'm new here and have limited experience using firearms and I have a question I hope can get answered. I want to know what companies make the most reliable and long lasting handguns, specifically 9mm auto loader, because I am on a limited budget and cannot buy multiple weapons in a short amount of time. So I need a reliable and rugged weapon. It will primarily be for CCW, but will double as my home defense weapon until I can afford another weapon.

I do realize that all companies have the occasional faulty product. I would also be performing all of the required maintenance on the weapon, but one that will continue function should maintenance become difficult, such as long periods in the field, would be a real plus

Jstrong 02-29-2012 11:30 AM

Seeing as you want it to double as a HD and CCW im thinking something about the size of a glock 19 instead of going smaller,but not necessarily a glock. A gun this size has mag capacity around 15 and can still be conceal carried with little effort unless your a sack of bones.

Some good gun models from reputable manufacturers in this size include the

1.previously mentioned glock 19 (not a favorite of mine but works well for many many folks)

2. Springfeild xd line in 9mm

3. Several models from CZ

4. FN FNP-9

5. Walther PPQ (personal favorite of mine,best trigger and ergonomics I've felt on a polymer gun)

That's deffinantly not a complete list just a few off the top of my head,but others should be by to add to it. Do a little research on the suggestions you get here and then stop by a gun shop and handle as many as you can to see which fits you best before making a choice.

ScottA 02-29-2012 12:38 PM

Any of the major manufactures are going to make solid, long-lasting guns: Smith & Wesson, Colt, Ruger, Walther, CZ, Springfield Armory, Block... I mean Glock, FN, Sig, etc.

Check out this thread for some good info:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/choosing-handgun-mike-seeklander-58208/

And please stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

JonM 02-29-2012 01:02 PM

The easiest and most rugged gun to diy in 9mm in my opinion is the sig p226 or springfield xdm in 9mm. You can get a nice used older model if you dont like the newer grip redesign on the sig.

The cz75 is another very good design but i dont know how easy or difficult they are to diy repairs.

I know im going to cause some blasphemy but im not a fan of the browning hipower. However its a decent reliable gun if you dont mind the square grip and mag safety and low for a 9mm capacity.

ScottA 02-29-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 724132)
I know im going to cause some blasphemy but im not a fan of the browning hipower.

Dear forum friends. Cane had an unfortunate gun cleaning accident while Jon was in the room. Let's all bow our heads in a moment of silent remembrance of our departed and beloved moderator. Any of you who would like to say a few kind words about Jon, please feel free to do so.

danf_fl 02-29-2012 07:36 PM

Most firearms today will outlast the normal human if taken care of (no matter how well the human is taken care of) with "normal" usage.

If one feels that 12 rounds of 9mm is too low of a round count, they should stay away from 1911's.

If I need more that the 7+1 in a 1911, means three things:
1. I'm in a competition
2. The magazine is screwed up
3. I have the incorrect firearm for the task at hand.

(The Browning Hi-Power has been around longer than I have been. That should mean something good about it.)

orangello 02-29-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 724209)
Dear forum friends. Cane had an unfortunate gun cleaning accident while Jon was in the room. Let's all bow our heads in a moment of silent remembrance of our departed and beloved moderator. Any of you who would like to say a few kind words about Jon, please feel free to do so.

RIP, Deader Wolves are Better Wolves.

Cane's pistol is OK, right? It wasn't the one with the snakeskin grips was it? :eek:

sweeper22 02-29-2012 10:41 PM

How much do you want to spend?

Most guns over $300 will be quite reliable. Taurus is about the only maker that would jump out at me as having too high of a "lemon" risk.

Most of the polymer options are equally dependable...avantage to whichever fits you best between among SA XD/XDm, Glock, and S&W M&P (but there are plenty of other great options). For metal framed 9mms, I prefer CZ or Sig.

One gun that'll probably treat you well is the Ruger SR9c. Decent capacity, good carry option, and budget friendly ($400).

sweeper22 02-29-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 724132)
I know im going to cause some blasphemy but im not a fan of the browning hipower. However its a decent reliable gun if you dont mind the square grip and mag safety and low for a 9mm capacity.

15+1 flush fit mags are easy to find and the mag disconnect is a very simple DIY project.

I like the prestige and look of a BHP. But truth be told, I think the CZ 75 offers a similar (and arguably better) gun for $300 less.

clr8ter 02-29-2012 10:51 PM

Why is no one mentioning Beretta?