Gun owner types
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun owner types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Gun owner types

Casual to Committed is a scale from say 1 to 10 on what type a handgun owner you are.

For casual (the 1 on the scale) I think a good definition is the person that buys a single gun and 1 box of ammo - and that's it. At most they shoot a half-box of said ammo and then they load the gun and put it away (probably didn't clean it first either). These folks may actually forget they have a gun tucked away or the reason they decided to get one. A "number 1" frequently does not ever want to "advance" on the scale. Incurs the minimum investment possible to satisfy their perceived need.

The other end of the scale is the committed handgunner (the 10 on the scale). Probably owns a variety of types and puts a lot of rounds through them frequently. Very likely has a carry permit and is armed at all times. Does a lot of their own gunsmithing, probably reloads their own ammo, and quite possibly competes in some fashion. Brownell's, Numrich and Midway loves these types as they are always looking for the edge - and spend a lot of $$$ on their obsession. These folks know their stuff and can contribute in just about any handgun conversation.

We all fall somewhere on this scale and it's important to understand that it exists. For example, I wouldn't recommend a 1911 to anyone at the low end of the scale. These guns perform only for folks willing to learn the platform and find the "sweet spot" in gun, ammo, mags, and accessories. Yes, I have 1911s that have been 100% reliable out of the box - but this is by no means a certainty. Given that most 1911 manufacturers include crap mags with new guns doesn't help at all.

Many of us tend to evolve on the scale, moving from the 1 towards the 10 over time. Our tastes can and do change and many times we'll "rediscover" our favorites. Whenever I give advice, I always try to place the person I'm giving advice to on the scale as it makes a difference. Yes, I have recommended a Glock before...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I would call myself a 4-5 but why don't you let me know where you think I fall to help others with the scale.

I own 2 bolt rifles, 3 pistols, 1 shotgun, 1 AK style gun. I go shooting about twice a month in the spring, summer, fall, but don't go much in the winter because of the weather. I do not carry and probably would not carry very often even if I lived in a state that I could. I don't do much gun smithing on my own equipment, I would rather let the professionals handle that. I'm no expert on tactical knowledge but have my limited military training. I do clean my guns after I shoot them and own a 1911 and have never had a problem with it. I do go to gunshows when they come to town and have a respectable ammo supply. I buy accessories for my guns but try to get everything out of the box, I would rather pay a bit more and have it already the way I want it. I do have at least 1 gun in the house for self defense at any given time. I know a decent amount about the guns I own but don't learn much about guns I don't own or plan to own.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, I can't be a ten, because I don't reload yet and I don't compete. I do some rudimentary gunsmithing, but nothing too technical, mostly simple stuff.

I shoot as frequently as I can. I have several handguns and used to have many more, but finances forced me to sell most of them.

I do have a carry permit, but it's a Utah non-resident permit as I live in the occupied state of California. I can carry in a bunch of states, just not where I live.

I think of myself as a fairly dedicated handgunner, but I love my rifles and tinker with them as well. I also tend to shoot handguns more frequently than my long guns.

So, I don't know where that puts me on the scale, but it's a good description.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #4

I suppose I would want to say I am a 4, but I'm more likely a 3. I only have the one pistol, but went to the range weekly all through Fall and Winter and fired at least 100 rounds each time. My pistol has about 1,500 rounds through it in less than a year. I take good care of my weapon and usually open carry when I am out and about. I am currently saving up for an AR and a Kimber.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd put myself at a 4. I have not been into the working on my guns end as much as the shooting and caring for my guns end. I have several long guns, one black powder rifle and two pistols. I am getting my cash together to do an AR-15 build, then an AR-10!!

I have been shooting since I was 6 or 7 years old. For me it has always been recreation until I moved to a State that allows me to protect myself. I took the required training and got my concealed carry permit. I am a member of the NRA and GOA. I have always believed it is the right, I would say a duty of an individual to defend themselves. In retirement, I have become politically active, supporting candidates that embrace the Constitution and the 2A.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I consider myself a 9. Hardcore runner and gunner. I participate in the Callaway Nuclear shoots and any other competition. I am a firearms instructor for State of Missouri. Teach at Academies and shoot almost everyday. I am in Law Enforcement. I own many many many guns and I am a Glock, Sig, XD, and AR Armorer. Any corner of my house you will find a minimum of a 38+p handgun and up to a Glock 21 with 50 GI conversion.

Only thing I do not do is reload. I get my ammo for free.

And I also own several 1911's. Im not prejudice towards any gun. Well almost..

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I'd probably put myself at a 7 1/2 or so. If I ever decide to reload it would go up from there. I'm not a rifle or shotgun guy although I do have an AR and 2 O/U shotguns. I like to learn about all the handgun platforms and have worked on a number of different types. I'm very familiar with 1911s, pretty good with S&W revolvers, and Ruger .22s do not give me a headache. I love to compete and I use 1911s for that almost exclusively. While it's not really important where we each fit on the scale, it's important that we can place other folks on the scale so we can provide useful advice.

I was chatting on a local forum today with an honest #1 on the scale. This fella wanted a single pistol that would go bang whenever. I recommended that he try an XD and a Glock and pick the one that fits him the best...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-12-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I would like to say I was a 10 but in reality I only own 6 hand guns, 6 rifles and 2 shot guns, I reload and collect brass at the range, I buy from MidWay when I have the money, and I only spend every monday at the range unless weather is real bad, and some times I got a day or two through out the rest of the week. I also tinker with my guns for better preformance So I would guess I was a #2. I forgot I have a CCWP and carry all the time (even to the potty)

Last edited by opaww; 04-12-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I'm a 5.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I guess I'm somewhere between 6, 7 or 8. I own 6 handguns, 5 are semi auto and one is a revolver and I still want more. I also have some long guns, 2 shotguns and 5 rifles. I like to go shooting whenever I can afford the ammo, usually once a month or so.
I work for a gunsmith, so naturally I can't stand a dirty gun.. I clean after every range session and I make sure I keep them well oiled.
I don't do my own reloads, although I know how to reload and my dad has all the equipment if I ever want to do it. I do help my boss do his reloading, however.
Never really cared for competition. I just like shooting for the fun of it.
Also have a CWP and carry all the time.

I don't know if I'm correct in the number range I gave myself, I might be a 5 or 4, but i'm far from the guy that buys one hi-point and one box of ammo

Last edited by General_lee; 04-12-2010 at 10:32 PM.