Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun for my wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun for my wife

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I'm new to the forum and need help.I'm looking for a gun that my wife can use for concealed carry and also something she enjoys shooting.I'm looking for a 9mm that is a decent shot and won't break the bank.I've been looking at the taurus millennium and the Kel Tec PF-9. Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got a Ruger LC9. It's comfortable and small enough to conceal. Best bet though is to take her with you and let her see what's comfortable for her.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 367 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
I just got a Ruger LC9. It's comfortable and small enough to conceal. Best bet though is to take her with you and let her see what's comfortable for her.
This says it all.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 114 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Best advice I can give is don't pick for her, let her decide. My wife has no real interest in shooting, but she'll come out with me every now and then. What I assume she will prefer has never once matched up with what she actually preferred.

Take her to the range and rent some guns, you'll probably be surprised by the outcome.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

let the wife pick. she will likely surprise you. even better if there are rental guns at a local range to try.

my wife's last gun pick ended up with us getting a pair of beretta m9a1...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #6

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Depends on what she likes. Is she good with DAO triggers? If she's like me and prefers a short and concise trigger instead of those long pull DAO types like the Ruger LC9 she might want to check out the Taurus pt709 slim. Also can check out Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact carry in 9mm. The LC9 is a great gun, don't get me wrong I just hated the trigger. Not smooth, mushy, weak them snappy break and far too long for self defense use to me. But it's all relative and there's no accounting for taste, right! ? Good luck man.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl
Great advice, until she picks the high end Kimber $$$ . Really though, let her shoot what you have so she has something to compare. Then let her go feel all the guns at the shop(and shoot if possible). My wife likes to have a gun that is "hers" cause she picked it out and everything.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was a concealed carry instructor for several years and from my experience with the female gender the simpler the gun the more they like them and the better they can use them, most woman dont shoot as often as men and i think a revolver takes alot of the stress off of the user especially in a high stress situation. no safetys no slide releases and no mags to have to deal with.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busdriver
I was a concealed carry instructor for several years and from my experience with the female gender the simpler the gun the more they like them and the better they can use them, most woman dont shoot as often as men and i think a revolver takes alot of the stress off of the user especially in a high stress situation. no safetys no slide releases and no mags to have to deal with.
Are those women barefoot and pregnant too, possibly lacking in education as well? Just kidding. Your comment did sound a little bad.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeh i think your right but it wasnt intentional, my wife is fluent with many hand guns but on an average most arent. They show little interest in firearms. Most of the woman at the classes were pusauded by their husbands or boyfriends. I do appoligize for how it sounded, i wish everybody would get their concealed carry permits and show more interest in firearms.