Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun makers innovation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Gun makers innovation.

I'm liking all the budget guns that are comming to the market.

Sccy 9mm 299. Msrp. Ect.

The new AR with out pistol grip.

POST YOUR BUDGET FIREARMS & NEW "COMPLYANT" MODLES.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 2786 Posts
Likes Given: 5989

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoint380 View Post

Sccy 9mm 299. Msrp. Ect.

Just like every other product evolution, when its all been done before all you can do is super-size, shrink it and mass produce it. Firearms have been around so very long that big improvements are truly few and far between.

What has changed bigtime is the tools available to create and duplicate. Some of them can turn a computer weeny into a gunsmith without a day as an apprentice!

Another new phenom is Gun Fashion, recreate the same piece with different packaging and you just created a boom market (ha, ha, see what I did there?). Nobody but rich folks in the 1800's would have bought a new shotgun just because it had different paint or labels on it. They only replaced that which was no longer serviceable or repairable.

Hell, even our government is becoming big players in the firearms manufacturing industry. They alone have been responsible for millions of new shooters and backlogs in availability that havent happened since WW2!

The addition of Demilitarizing weapons to comply with bogus laws has sparked a whole new boom for manufacturers (See, I did that again, Ha)! Imagine telling Colt or Browning that they could make a mint by softening the look of their military looking pieces even if they still threw lead (or steel) that was as deadly as their harsh looking poppers? They would have told you your stupid, who would pay more for a less functional piece? That Pistol Grip, mounting lug and Suppressor are there for a reason that serves the owner better than a piece without them!!!!!

Cheaper knockoffs and low profile life takers are hot right now but I gotta say, they likely wont stand the test of time the way my ancient steel and wood mechanisms have. Just like the automotive industry, there will be very few that are worthy of a spot in a museum in 100 years. Whats next? My guess is disposable guns just like the computers and flatscreens we buy at 10% of the cost they were 15 years ago. How much you gonna pay to fix a 45 that cost you $45? Not much I would guess, toss it out and buy one of the new safe act compliant orange ones that are all the rage!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 05-18-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think budget guns are like hondas. Keep them well maintained and they will last forever.

Anti-gunners try to ban a rifle that has been sold millions of times with enough parts to make / fix them for generations.

Stopping crime is impossible. Arming citizens with good training is the most logical.

But then again even tho its the most effective. Law makers want to not do what right. They just want to use that as ammo to say ban that because of this.

No one messes with me because I'm well trained and armed. Even tho the occasional junky or bumb will try something.

If you want a life saving tool buy a eco gun. Of you want a gun to last 100 plus years get a surplus one

Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #4

Liked 854 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
If you want a life saving tool buy a eco gun.
I think that's barkin' up the wrong tree...How are cheap knockoffs good, and guns missing parts they really should have innovative?

I think they should continue to put pistol grips on the AR's and if a state doesn't like it, refuse to ship to that state, PERIOD. LE included.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 05-18-2014 at 11:02 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I think that's barkin' up the wrong tree...How are cheap knockoffs good, and guns missing parts they really should have innovative?

I think they should continue to put pistol grips on the AR's and if a state doesn't like it, refuse to ship to that state, PERIOD. LE included.
There has been a single place for cheap guns and that was during WW2. Free guns to liberate Europe dropped out of planes and piped through the underground resistance fighters. The best you could hope for was to have a few of them for a NY Reload and they were about as inaccurate as a derringer. The derringer was a quality piece compared to the Liberator!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

They werent made to repair, couldnt take them apart and you were lucky to fire the rounds that came with them before it failed. They cost $2.40 a piece and are worth $1500 today (wish I had a truckload of them).

I agree with you, when it comes to firearms, make and sell a good quality reliable product or sell none. Peoples lives depend on them. Click is not the sound you want to hear when a Griz or a Thug are knocking on your doorstep!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Click is not the sound you want to hear when a Griz or a Thug are knocking on your doorstep!
Nope. And I also would not want a gun that weighs 4 pounds dragging down my pants, or one that has sharp plastic edges, rubbing my side raw...

So the Liberator cost $2.40 ea. in the 40's? Wasn't that a fair amount of money just for a one-time-use-throw-out-of-a-plane-gun?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Nope. And I also would not want a gun that weighs 4 pounds dragging down my pants, or one that has sharp plastic edges, rubbing my side raw...

So the Liberator cost $2.40 ea. in the 40's? Wasn't that a fair amount of money just for a one-time-use-throw-out-of-a-plane-gun?
No doubt, quality is more than appearance and can really effect the usability of any product even if its its cheap enough to replace if it sucks.

$2.40 wasnt cheap at that but a brand new Derringer in the 1800's would cost that much or more and last a lifetime, many were very ornate and functional. The Liberator was neither, it was a 90% stamped steel and riveted piece. The only quality steel was in the very short chamber/ barrel and that was still low quality. Most of them were destroyed by our own government and never got to the resistance but they are out there, just wall hangers for sure!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoint380 View Post

Sccy 9mm 299. Msrp. Ect.

I've read a number of posts making statements like Hi Points are about as good a Glocks etc. It just ain't so. If you can only get your hands on that grade of gun and can shoot it...and it will actually shoot then it's better than nothing. There used to be a much wider selection of weapons between the top and the bottom of the price range but they have been gone for decades. It's a tough market for buyers, even lesser names are selling high.

If I write a post and it sounds like I'm trying to tell you what's best for you, it's because I write like crap.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
I've read a number of posts making statements like Hi Points are about as good a Glocks
Holy Crap, someone wrote that? In public?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19844 Times on 11268 Posts
Likes Given: 50020

Quote:
Holy Crap, someone wrote that? In public?
well actually, the Hi-Point is almost as good as the Glock as far as function.

but i would never carry a Hi-Point simply because it's top heavy and makes for a poor carrying gun, while a Glock is made to carry.

i hope the OP understands that there is a huge difference between cheap and inexpensive.

cheap means just that, cheap and usually of poor quality and full of potential problems an very seldom is going to last for a long period of time.

inexpensive means quality without a high price tag. well made but not priced to the point that the average person can't afford it.

i'll buy an inexpensive firearm, but i won't under any circustances buy a cheap firearm.