Gun Magnets... Hmmm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Magnets... Hmmm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2150 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Default Gun Magnets... Hmmm

This is kind of an interesting idea. I'm sure the is something that has been home-built for years by thousands. Not something I had considered before.

http://www.stickimupgunmagnets.com

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7151 Times on 4304 Posts
Likes Given: 8684

I know a guy who put Velcro under his computer desk and the other side of the Velcro on a holster and keeps a gun there. Same concept yet home made. I wonder if the magnet will scratch the finish of the gun. That magnet must be pretty strong to hold a long gun on the back of a door. I kind of like the idea.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's a great concept but if the desk is bumped to hard your gun is on the floor.
Personally i would get a cheap holster and duct tape it to the bottom of the desk. That way it is still easy to grab in an instant and it wont fall if the desk is bumped.
If you want to put your finger in the trigger and shoot from under the desk cut off the tip of the holster. Cheaper than a powerful magnet. And imo much more practical.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2150 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 777

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I know a guy who put Velcro under his computer desk and the other side of the Velcro on a holster and keeps a gun there. Same concept yet home made. I wonder if the magnet will scratch the finish of the gun. That magnet must be pretty strong to hold a long gun on the back of a door. I kind of like the idea.
It says they are coated in plastic. That should take care of the scratching issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
It's a great concept but if the desk is bumped to hard your gun is on the floor.
Personally i would get a cheap holster and duct tape it to the bottom of the desk. That way it is still easy to grab in an instant and it wont fall if the desk is bumped.
If you want to put your finger in the trigger and shoot from under the desk cut off the tip of the holster. Cheaper than a powerful magnet. And imo much more practical.
I've got some old 1970's Hon special that feels like it's built out of 6 or 7 oak trees. Whack this hard enough to dislodge it, and you'll be visiting your chiropractor.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 09-20-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #5

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

It says they are coated in plastic. That should take care of the scratching issue.

I've got some old 1970's Hon special that feels like it's built out of 6 or 7 oak trees. Whack this hard enough to dislodge it, and you'll be visiting your chiropractor.
Hahaha fair enough

Last edited by ScottA; 09-20-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

For the price ($30 per), it seems like a really versatile and innovative idea. I like it.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2897 Times on 1670 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

Of course, non-ferrous need not apply.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

TWMIM Likes This 
Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #8

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I have one under my both desk and tool cart at work. It is covered in semi-soft rubber so no scratches. Holds a full size Glock well and I have never knocked the gun loose yet, I have to draw it at a slight angle (rear to front) to make it come off easier. I love it for work, with the grip pointing straight down you can't see it unless you know it is there. Just remember it is at eye level to small children.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Most people would use a gun magnet or a holster fastened to their desk when they are expecting trouble. Otherwise the unsecured weapon is a liability not an asset. I am speaking in generalities - I am sure there are circumstances that create a need for a weapon to be stowed in such a fashion all the time.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cute, but you can get the same thing for a bit cheaper directly from a magnet company:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X08DCSPC-BLK

Neodymium magnets (both the original link and the one above are neo's) are some of the strongest you can get.