Gun Etiquette - Scary Situation
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun Etiquette - Scary Situation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun Etiquette - Scary Situation

I took some friends of mine (gun virgins) out into the middle of nowhere to teach them how to shoot. We were literally in the middle of the desert on public land.

After the lesson was over, everyone got in the car while I finished packing up the guns in the back of the SUV. While I am packing up, two guys in a Jeep Wrangler pull up carrying hand guns in one hand and beers in the other. I find this concerning, so I slip a 9mm into the back of my shorts. My carry weopon was in the front seat of my car.

The driver of the Wrangler asks what we were shooting at. I notion at a bunch of cans downrange. The passenger of the Wrangler pulls out his handgun and empties his mag randomly at targets over 50 yards away.

With one person needing to reload, I mentioned that we were all practicing tactical defense situations with our carry weopons (a lie), and while mentioning that the range was theirs, I made a brisk move to the driver's seat of my car. All the while, my hand is very near the 9mm in the back of my shorts and my eyes watching the 2 guys. When I drive off, I noticed my friends had already reloaded my packed guns and had them sitting on their laps.

Is there not some proper gun etiquette about driving up to random people holding handguns, beer/handguns, shooting randomly around unsuspecting others, etc.?

Any advice on how I could have handled the situation better? I have to admit I was a little freaked out.

My blog - I sell nothing don't worry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Honestly, you reacted exactly how I would have. I would have said as little as I could while I cautiously finished packing up and get the hell out of there. I would assume they were too intoxicated to drive let alone shoot. Plus, not knowing their intentions I think you did exactly the right thing.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #3

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Honestly, you reacted exactly how I would have. I would have said as little as I could while I cautiously finished packing up and get the hell out of there. I would assume they were too intoxicated to drive let alone shoot. Plus, not knowing their intentions I think you did exactly the right thing.
Yeah, this.

There are many shortages out there, but it seems there is an

INFINITE SUPPLY of morons with poor judgment, and obviously,

more money than brains...

I don't generally rack a round into the tube, even during CCW.

But for my own protection, I've made a couple of exceptions in the

past, in situations just like this.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10558 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

You met some of these:

asshat_by_thundercake.jpg

Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I think I set a speed record getting the hell out of Dodge the last time

this happened.

I just unloaded the guns,threw it all in a box, drove off, and sorted it all out

later.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sounds like the rednecks got a good laugh at the expense of some city folks. look at it from the other side ; its their territory they pull up and find a vehicle that obviously doesn't belong there with three people acting nervous and suspicious plus there are weapons present.how would you react?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always get nervous when people roll up when me and my friends are shooting. Nothing has ever happened as of yet... But me and my friends were shot at by someone (never found out who) with a 12gauge with birdshot. It was surreal, we could hear the pellets ripping through the leaves of the trees coming towards us. It's hard to explain, everything got real slow and quiet except for the sounds of the pellets coming. It seemed like I had all the time in the world to react, I ducked and pulled my hat down with the bill covering my eyes and my hand ontop of it to protect my eyes from any pelets. My friends caught some pellets, they didn't duck. We proceeded to take cover incase the dude shot again and "tactically" moved up the hill towards the direction the pelets came from. We were young so we just did what we would do in paintball and leapfrogged eachother from tree to tree while the person not moving kept their rifle pointed towards the origin of the gunfire... In hindsight we probably should have just ran away but like I said, we were only 17, 18 at the most.

Point is, there are crazy people out there, and I am always weary of people pulling up out of the blue to where I am, and I am always weary of people with guns in their hands approaching me. I think you reacted properly for the situation you were in. I probably would have just put the guns in the vehicle loaded and drove away a ways and then worried about getting them unloaded though.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
sounds like the rednecks got a good laugh at the expense of some city folks. look at it from the other side ; its their territory they pull up and find a vehicle that obviously doesn't belong there with three people acting nervous and suspicious plus there are weapons present.how would you react?
I sure wouldn't drive up slinging a beer, hopping out of my car and shooting down range like a jackass. I don't care if it's their territory. You don't drink and drive. You don't drink and shoot. And you certainly don't do both together. I would have driven up and introduced myself and attempted to have a conversation with them.

Then again, I'm not an uneducated moron with an I.Q. of 10.

On a side note, never let them believe that you're nervous either.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
According to the OP, they were on public land not anybody's territory. When the OP said "...and while mentioning that the range was theirs..." I think it just meant they (the first group) were leaving, and the drunkards (second group) could have the "right of way."

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs

Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
This was the first thought through my head, "some of the boys pulled up wanting to join in the shootin'". "Territory" is not always as is legally defined.