Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Gun defects, factory or owner caused?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gun defects, factory or owner caused?

Just curious about what other think about this. I know that there are guns (like every other product) that are defective right out of the box.

I do however see so many posts about topics like, my gun always jams, my rear site flew off, my frame cracked, firing pin broke and so on...

At the same time there are some with these defective guns that have posts like, I completely disassembled my gun, punched out roll pins to remove sites and firing pin, clipped recoil and mainsprings for better trigger pull and functioning. And the dreaded "dremel tool" modifications. There are also the "this is my first gun, what do I need to do to make a better trigger pull" which gets answers like "take it all apart, get a dremel and some polishing stones..."

You know what I mean, home gunsmithing projects by folks whose only experience with it is reading some sticky-post telling them all the stuff they need to do to make the gun "even better".

I remember years ago when I hung out on knife discussion boards that people would talk about some knife company and how bad they were since they would not fix knives under warranty...many times it turned out the the knife was actually received by the company as a box of parts...or put back together so bad that it was obvious somebody had tried the home modification route.

And back to guns, I have even seen posts where somebody has a gun blow up, it turns out they were reloading ammo and then told my many "dont tell the company you shot reloads.

I just think some (not all) complaints about guns failing are not factory problems, but problems with the owners who take things apart that they are not qualified to do...but they think they are because they followed internet advice.

Thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #2

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like the guy who spends $400.00 on a new driver and tries to return it because all he does is slice with it?

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-02-2010, 03:41 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaRuger View Post
I just think some (not all) complaints about guns failing are not factory problems, but problems with the owners who take things apart that they are not qualified to do...but they think they are because they followed internet advice.

Thoughts?

Maybe it would help if they printed the instructions in English

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It all comes down to the integrity of the owner. The gun companies try to look out for people screwing them over and I'll bet it happens often. Consequently, the rest of us honest folks get to pay for it when something really is factory defective.

It's a visciouis cycle.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
and if you throw in a Dremel tool, it's an adventure.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

For the most part, people that "tinker" with things (like guns) generally get themselves into trouble. Then they attempt to scape-goat their way out by blaming the manufacturer in very creative ways. This is all too common, and and it costs EVERYONE. You and I pay (big bucks) for this every time we purchase ANYTHING.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #8

Liked 103 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 102

"The fiddler"